Nebraska II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We haven't had that big of a drop off though.

That's not the preference, the way the women are having to do it, and the men's 2nd and 3rd best players, comparatively, aren't as good as the women's. 

The women are doing it out necessity, we don't have that necessity. Plus the women have better players, comparatively, to do it anyways. 

What "isn't" working? 

We've lost 4 road games. That's unacceptable at IU! :coffee:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We haven't had that big of a drop off though.

That's not the preference, the way the women are having to do it, and the men's 2nd and 3rd best players, comparatively, aren't as good as the women's. 

The women are doing it out necessity, we don't have that necessity. Plus the women have better players, comparatively, to do it anyways. 

What "isn't" working? 

Completely off topic, what do you do for a living Btown?

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Teacher plus coach football. Resigned from basketball in April. Too much to do back to back sports. 

So, obviously, I'm off today... cussing at ILL while I work out. 😂😂

I did back to back coaching one year while teaching. Basketball/baseball...7th/8th graders. I was so exhausted by the time summer rolled around. To top it off, I was good friends with the head football coach, and he kept trying to recruit me as an assistant. I asked him if he was trying to kill me.

• Like 1

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I did back to back coaching one year while teaching. Basketball/baseball...7th/8th graders. I was so exhausted by the time summer rolled around. To top it off, I was good friends with the head football coach, and he kept trying to recruit me as an assistant. I asked him if he was trying to kill me.

I coached all three for a time, as well! I think for three years I did all three! I was like 23-26 then. 

Incredibly tiring, but also very rewarding!

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

I coached all three for a time, as well! I think for three years I did all three! I was like 23-26 then. 

Incredibly tiring, but also very rewarding!

I don't think I would have survived doing all three. Originally I was supposed to coach basketball. Then the former baseball coach quit, so I volunteered because I actually prefer baseball. I didn't coach basketball the next year ha.

Coincidentally, the football coach friend of mine is the same guy I referenced in another thread about being a big Raiders fan and rooting against the Colts vs. New Orleans in the Superbowl at my house. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

But why? We want to play more guys than 8. We don't have 8 guys that stick out to play. 

JG, Bates, Leal are all not going to play? 

In my lineup I have JG playing and not Durr.  Why do you need to play more than 8;, players because that line of thinking doesn't make sense to me.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In my lineup I have JG playing and not Durr.  Why do you need to play more than 8;, players because that line of thinking doesn't make sense to me.

Have to rotate Durr or Duncomb in, one of the two. 

We are better playing more than 8 guys. Some teams we've had, we could play 8, it's not the rule though. 

Really doesn't matter what I think.  We all have our preferences and all that matters is what the coaching staff thinks.  That said, if you look at the common themes and kind of go in the middle, it seems nearly everyone other than @btownqbagree that we hate the 5 for 5 subbing.  I admittedly have an old school view of subbing and really prefer playing the starters big minutes and numbers 6,7,8 decent minutes and #9 and #10 very sparingly.  The modern game and modern society probably requires more of what btown is saying.  You have to worry more about keeping everyone happy with playing time.  You are also given the example of load management by the NBA.  Personally I would like to see 2 starters on the floor at all times at a minimum.  I'd like to see TJD and Race play huge minutes.  I'd personally like to see more Geronimo and Galloway and at leas start seeing Leal again.  I'd like to see them eat into Kopp and Stewart's time some on nights where they really aren't giving us anything.  PG is such a conundrum.  I guess XJ is better than RP, and we don't have any other choices.  I hate for Bates to be the odd man out because it seems like he has so much potential, but we probably do have to give Durr a few minutes and I really hate the idea of playing 11.  Probably the longest post I have ever made.  Sorry about that, but I hate the line changes and would love to see the top 8 play the large majority with 9 and 10 getting literally like 2 minutes a half.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Really doesn't matter what I think.  We all have our preferences and all that matters is what the coaching staff thinks.  That said, if you look at the common themes and kind of go in the middle, it seems nearly everyone other than @btownqbagree that we hate the 5 for 5 subbing.  I admittedly have an old school view of subbing and really prefer playing the starters big minutes and numbers 6,7,8 decent minutes and #9 and #10 very sparingly.  The modern game and modern society probably requires more of what btown is saying.  You have to worry more about keeping everyone happy with playing time.  You are also given the example of load management by the NBA.  Personally I would like to see 2 starters on the floor at all times at a minimum.  I'd like to see TJD and Race play huge minutes.  I'd personally like to see more Geronimo and Galloway and at leas start seeing Leal again.  I'd like to see them eat into Kopp and Stewart's time some on nights where they really aren't giving us anything.  PG is such a conundrum.  I guess XJ is better than RP, and we don't have any other choices.  I hate for Bates to be the odd man out because it seems like he has so much potential, but we probably do have to give Durr a few minutes and I really hate the idea of playing 11.  Probably the longest post I have ever made.  Sorry about that, but I hate the line changes and would love to see the top 8 play the large majority with 9 and 10 getting literally like 2 minutes a half.   

Durr gets like 3.5 mins a half. I don't think we've ever actually subbed 5 for 5 have we? And by no means have we seen it for extended mins, but there are times it's been solid. It has. TH it sucked. 

I agree about the two starters moving forward, if XJ can play well. Basically, TJD eats into 34-36 mins and if XJ is where he should be, he can play 32-34. Race gets 30-32. Let's talk about Purdue on THs lineup. I think it should look something like this if XJ struggles.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401364366

I think the 10-0 run vs Iowa is simply skewing everyone's opinion of how we actually sub, regularly. And that's that's ranked OSU team.. I assumed we could lean on them a little more against Iowa, who isn't some defensive power... that plan didn't work. There were some teams that the bench has looked good playing together, usually that's Bates playing well and everyone else can play a "normal" roll. 

One last opinion, I love Leal. Mostly, next year and the after.. I think Parker Stewart is much better than he is though and has shown more offensively recently. Hope it continues. I also love Galloway, and his ceiling is higher than Miller.. but Galloway also had two badddd turnovers the other night. He isn't perfect, yet. Kid's shot looks honestly more than solid. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But ultimately @NCHoosier32 I think the substitutions and willingness to play the bench together has had very little effect on our team's CURRENT W/L record, but it might have a bigger impact on next year's and moving forward. That's what I hope, the goal is. 

I gotcha.  I try not to engage with you, but I'll just say I personally disagree that the subbing hasn't cost us.  I do get that Stewart is better than Leal though.  I would just be curious to see what would happen if he got more minutes and actually put in positions to get shots.  He's only taken 19 shots in the 9 games he has played.  It's awful tough to be a 3 point shooter and come into the game cold and get 2 shots.  Unfortunately that's what happens when you're the 11th man, but seems like he could contribute as a shooter.  

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I gotcha.  I try not to engage with you, but I'll just say I personally disagree that the subbing hasn't cost us.  I do get that Stewart is better than Leal though.  I would just be curious to see what would happen if he got more minutes and actually put in positions to get shots.  He's only taken 19 shots in the 9 games he has played.  It's awful tough to be a 3 point shooter and come into the game cold and get 2 shots.  Unfortunately that's what happens when you're the 11th man, but seems like he could contribute as a shooter.  

Just from coaching against Leal I wouldn't consider him a "shooter". Like not a Hulls, Watford, Hornsby, or Roth type. I would say, Sheehey in that regard? Idk, can't come up with a comparison. He's not a deadeye, or wasn't. Maybe he is now. Either way, I like him. 

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Durr gets like 3.5 mins a half. I don't think we've ever actually subbed 5 for 5 have we? And by no means have we seen it for extended mins, but there are times it's been solid. It has. TH it sucked. 

I agree about the two starters moving forward, if XJ can play well. Basically, TJD eats into 34-36 mins and if XJ is where he should be, he can play 32-34. Race gets 30-32. Let's talk about Purdue on THs lineup. I think it should look something like this if XJ struggles.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401364366

I think the 10-0 run vs Iowa is simply skewing everyone's opinion of how we actually sub, regularly. And that's that's ranked OSU team.. I assumed we could lean on them a little more against Iowa, who isn't some defensive power... that plan didn't work. There were some teams that the bench has looked good playing together, usually that's Bates playing well and everyone else can play a "normal" roll. 

One last opinion, I love Leal. Mostly, next year and the after.. I think Parker Stewart is much better than he is though and has shown more offensively recently. Hope it continues. I also love Galloway, and his ceiling is higher than Miller.. but Galloway also had two badddd turnovers the other night. He isn't perfect, yet. Kid's shot looks honestly more than solid. 

I believe on multiple occasion we sub out to back up if not all at once, very quickly.  And then they play for more minutes than they should in my opinion.  They usually don't lose much ground.  But Robs loves to just dribble and dribble and dribble when this happens.  And then defensively, we're just not that good outside of Rob.  Bates, Durr, JG and Galloway just don't instill fear in anyone and usually give up easy buckets.  I would also say we turn the ball over more with that group on the floor.

I do agree its important they get minutes more for next year than now.  Leal, Galloway and even Lander to an extent need to get some minutes to learn and experience B1G play before running teeth first into it next year.

Parker Stewart needs to move more and shoot more.  10 shots a game minimum should be his mantra.  Kopp should probably be first minutes taken.  He is solid and can score but is average across the board.  Not really a starter in my opinion.  Would like to see Galloway here.

Otherwise i am more disappointed in this team than i am upset with much.  They have the talent to be a really good team.  But they make to many mistakes, panic and coaching hasn't help at times.  I feel different now about IU basketball than i did a year ago.  Seems like the same team with the same issues but i just feel different, in a good way.

• Like 1