NIL in basketball

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

When does our fan base start buying top recruiting classes? We just watched A&M do it in football.  I hear all the time, how big or fan base is. When will that actually payoff for us?

This is a great question.   I'm actually surprised the biggest personal injury firms aren't battling for that market. Car dealerships have taken a hit,  so that typical market may not be there for now.

It's only a matter of time, and once you have a few early adopters, I think we'll see the flood gates open. The problem is the how you gauge ROI and set market value. A&M boosters went big. Instead of buying one 5 star left tackle that could flop, the A&M people became the ones that bought an entire line.  That's a nice reputation to have!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is a great question.   I'm actually surprised the biggest personal injury firms aren't battling for that market. Car dealerships have taken a hit,  so that typical market may not be there for now.

It's only a matter of time, and once you have a few early adopters, I think we'll see the flood gates open. The problem is the how you gauge ROI and set market value. A&M boosters went big. Instead of buying one 5 star left tackle that could flop, the A&M people became the ones that bought an entire line.  That's a nice reputation to have!

I agree. I would rather be on the forefront,  pushing the envelope and not playing catch up. It's time to buy our championship 

57 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree. I would rather be on the forefront,  pushing the envelope and not playing catch up. It's time to buy our championship 

It's within the rules now with the NIL. Agree it gives an opportunity for a long suffering traditional power to capitalize. 

I heard a discussion about Nick Saban sounding scared of the effects of the NIL.  The Bama announcers claimed it would give them an even bigger advantage.  I highly disagree.  The Kentuckys,  Dukes, Bamas, Clemson, O$Us can't pay more to elevate their recruiting rankings; they're already at the top of both. Not all boosters are comfortable with the steps it takes to buy a Zion, Anthony Davis, Fab 5, Cam Newton. Now they can do it completely legally and compliant with the NCAA. 

Deion Sanders just proved my point. And it should be easier to do in basketball based purely on numbers. If only we could get Cuban to sell the Mavs and make our Hoosiers his top sports investment😅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

It's within the rules now with the NIL. Agree it gives an opportunity for a long suffering traditional power to capitalize. 

I heard a discussion about Nick Saban sounding scared of the effects of the NIL.  The Bama announcers claimed it would give them an even bigger advantage.  I highly disagree.  The Kentuckys,  Dukes, Bamas, Clemson, O$Us can't pay more to elevate their recruiting rankings; they're already at the top of both. Not all boosters are comfortable with the steps it takes to buy a Zion, Anthony Davis, Fab 5, Cam Newton. Now they can do it completely legally and compliant with the NCAA. 

Deion Sanders just proved my point. And it should be easier to do in basketball based purely on numbers. If only we could get Cuban to sell the Mavs and make our Hoosiers his top sports investment😅

So you're saying the Hoosiers need to be on "Shark Tank?"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Tom Allen just took a pay cut to fire a coach. Do you really think IU boosters are lining up to give millions to 18 year olds. NO.

It remains to be seen what the market will be for our basketball NIL.  You're talking about IU football that just face planted after having huge momentum and record season tickets sales. That's on Allen, and he literally paid for it.

IU basketball is an engraved brand that we all grew up with.  When we went on a run in 2002, you couldn't find a DVD of Hoosiers anywhere.  If/when we start winning big in basketball,  the money will be there.

It will be really interesting to see how all this money impacts the transfer portals as well. I'm afraid it's just all pointing to the major college sports fully shifting to a semi-pro model with free agency bidding wars. The "playing field" will never again sniff being level. Just wait till the networks figure out how to leverage the NIL and funnel even more money to the schools/conferences they have contracts with.

R.I.P. college sports

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I guess LSU and some other schools are going to start selling jerseys with players names on them and using the proceeds for NIL money for those players. I believe this was for the football teams. I love our jerseys with no names on the back, but those days are numbered. 

I care a lot more about the candy stripes than I do about player names on jerseys.  That honestly would not bother me at all.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, FKIM01 said:

I care a lot more about the candy stripes than I do about player names on jerseys.  That honestly would not bother me at all.

I will miss the nameless jersey's, but I want to win in all legal ways. 

Besides, imagine if we could have bought a Calbert Cheaney in early '90s. That would be AWESOME... in fact I would not mind having a Chaney, a Watford, and a Yogi jersey. (Jury is still out on a TJD jersey)

It would make IU and the players a lot of money - there is no way this is not happening long term. 

Edited by GaloisGroupe

54 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I will miss the nameless jersey's, but I want to win in all legal ways. 

Besides, imagine if we could have bought a Calbert Cheaney in early '90s. That would be AWESOME... in fact I would not mind having a Chaney, a Watford, and a Yogi jersey. (Jury is still out on a TJD jersey)

It would make IU and the players a lot of money - there is no way this is not happening long term. 

Maybe a solution would be selling jerseys with names on the back and keeping the in game jersey without names on the back?