@ Nebraska Post Game Thread

KDB

I never thought this would be an elite team this year, but in all honesty, there’s a scenario where this team could be undefeated at this point. They have been in the hunt to win every game. I think that is the source of frustration- they have shown flashes of being a very good team. I do think that it is a realistic expectation to make the tournament this season. I think making the tournament is not too much to ask. I think it will be the benchmark for a successful season for CMW

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I never thought this would be an elite team this year, but in all honesty, there’s a scenario where this team could be undefeated at this point. They have been in the hunt to win every game. I think that is the source of frustration- they have shown flashes of being a very good team. I do think that it is a realistic expectation to make the tournament this season. I think making the tournament is not too much to ask. I think it will be the benchmark for a successful season for CMW

Or, you could turn it another way and say that it’s amazing that in the first year under a coach new to the college game, we have been that close. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

To me, that 3 pointer was where we changed our destiny in this game. So many times in the past, that was the 1 missed shot that swung all momentum. Not this time by gawd!

And yes, XJ concentration on his last 4 free throws was pure gold. We punched all the way untill the last bell.

As frustrating as XJ can be at times, I appreciate he wants to be the leader, wants to take over a game and wants to carry this team on his back like an Alpha.   He’s the only one that will step up (maybe Bates too).  But, his skill isn’t obviously all there, but at the very least - I can appreciate his mentality and fight. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What is not to like about a road conference win.  They took OSU to OT at home and lead UI with 5 minutes to go in the game. Also we played without our best player for the last 5 minutes of the game.

Didn't like that it seemed like Nebraska was getting into the paint at will and even the first team seemed to think they could block from behind after getting beat,  Didn't like the stagnation on offence, when the ball didn't move closer than 20 feet for 20 seconds.  They have and can play so much better.  

but, as I said, it was a win and that is so much better than a loss.  and without TJD for the last 8 minutes.

• Like 1

I hope we can put the jacket thing to rest...that's just silly.🙄

I know we laugh about how the members here don't matter nearly as much as we think we do, but I think there's a lot of collective wisdom in this forum and two things that have been complained about many times appeared to change with this game...

First, many here have been calling for the hockey line substituting to stop.  I  noticed that we mostly saw starters mixed with subs this game rather than five-for-five momentum-killing substitutions.  As a result, our bench looked a lot better playing with a mix of starters.  Perhaps this is an adjustment made by coach Woodson as a result of getting more familiar with the college game or perhaps he reads this forum more than we thought. :coffee:

Likewise, it was good to see IU play with a lot more grit on the road, which has been another point of contention in this forum.  I don't care why IU played with more fire on the road, but even if it was pure coincidence, it was good to see IU not play like a group of frightened pansies in crunch time on the road.  Win or lose, I hope IU plays unafraid wherever and whenever they play the rest of the season.

For sure, we're a collection of unpaid armchair coaches, but it sure is satisfying seeing things people bitched about here actually change even if @kyhoosier29's grumbling about guard play hasn't yet yielded as much fruit as hoped for.

Two more things I loved seeing...

TJD woofing after a dunk and getting T'd up.

Galloway's basketball mind.  I would love to see the entire team see the floor and play like Galloway.  I'm salivating at the thought of three more years of #32.

• Like 1

One more random thought...Walker's hip check that sent Trayce hard to the floor was dirty despite the announcers insisting it wasn't.  I've wound that play back several times and a hip check while Trayce was in the air is dirty. Period.  Walker knew what he was doing causing an airborne player to land awkwardly.  I'm just sick of the uber-physical play in the Big Ten.  IU is lucky Trayce wasn't seriously injured there.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think I’m just frustrated with the fact that our guard play is so poor and it’s not getting any better. I just need to understand it is what it is and try to enjoy it. 

Yes exactly. Bates has a chance to get better because he’s young but X is who he is RP is who he is… Durr is who he is. If Bates and Geronimo continue to improve by end of season then our second unit has the potential to be better but if they regress or are inconsistent then you and others will be consistently frustrated. I thought we battled tonight. I think we did well in the second half because X and RP limited there shots in the second half where as in games past they took wayyyy too many. I think today is something positive to let the boys view video of to show them this is how we win on the road this is your skill set and this is what our team NEEDS you to do period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I came over to the "we won't be where we want to be until we upgrade our guards and wings" after the Penn State game. I do believe Coach Woody gets the most he can out of this group, and we have an excellent front court, but the guys we've signed in these next 2 classes so far makes me feel better about our future...

It'll be fun to see how far CMW can lead this group though...I think we make the tourney this year, and everything else is icing on the cake...

Yes our guard play coming up is going to be Excellent but losing race and TJD is going to be impossible to overcome and I just really hope that Logan is soaking in everything TJD is teaching him because he is the replacement unless we get a stud big guy in the portal which is needed. We can’t have another Durr type we have to have someone who has a similar skill set to TJD.

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Yes our guard play coming up is going to be Excellent but losing race and TJD is going to be impossible to overcome and I just really hope that Logan is soaking in everything TJD is teaching him because he is the replacement unless we get a stud big guy in the portal which is needed. We can’t have another Durr type we have to have someone who has a similar skill set to TJD.

Guard play>

• Like 1

I am just now able to sit and watch the game. 

I know from the threads that Geronimo played well. But I was surprised to see he was the 1st player off the bench in the 1st half.

That makes me think what we saw today is what coach has been seeing in practice.

Add that to his performance, and maybe it's more than a flash in the pan, but a true sign he is really developing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madmax said:

All in all I’m pleased. Choppy game which would generally favor the home team but we stuck it out. I don’t think we ever trailed-spent probably 90% of the game with a 6-10 point lead. There truly is no easy road win in the Big Ten- just look at what Nebraska has done with Illinois, Ohio State, etc. Would love to find a way to get Parker 3-4 more shots a game. 

Parker needs to get himself 3-8 more shots a game.  I still don't know how he averaged 17+ last season with Tenn whatever.  He needs to get open and shoot