Purdue pre-game….

Artesian_86

In all seriousness, I think we could very well win this game. We will be the best defensive team they've seen all year and I certainly think we can hold our own inside with them, which is something they're not used to. In fact, I'd go as far as to say if they don't play Williams and Edey together for a good chunk of this game Race will eat their younger forwards alive. 

The clear advantage I'd give to Purdue is their shooting ability, but I think we all know Assembly Hall is a tough place for road teams to shoot typically and we shoot better at home. 

Lastly, I think the on ball pressure X and Phin will put on them is going to be very hard for them to handle, with a wild, raucous crowd, given they don't really have a pure PG. I like IU in the upset, 73-66. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

In all seriousness, I think we could very well win this game. We will be the best defensive team they've seen all year and I certainly think we can hold our own inside with them, which is something they're not used to. In fact, I'd go as far as to say if they don't play Williams and Edey together for a good chunk of this game Race will eat their younger forwards alive. 

The clear advantage I'd give to Purdue is their shooting ability, but I think we all know Assembly Hall is a tough place for road teams to shoot typically and we shoot better at home. 

Lastly, I think the on ball pressure X and Phin will put on them is going to be very hard for them to handle, with a wild, raucous crowd, given they don't really have a pure PG. I like IU in the upset, 73-66. 

I haven't seen Purdue play both Williams and Edey on the floor at the same time very much at all...they do a true 4 out, 1 in on offense with the big guys rotating...

Their 4 is Mason Gillis...he's undersized, but he'll get in there and bang around...Race might have a height advantage, but Gillis is no pushover...plus, he's pretty good from 3 so Race will have to go out and guard him...he's shooting the 3 at a 53% clip this year...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Some of you think purdue is undefeated. They are very beatable. IF TJD is fired up and takes it at the bigs strong and doesnt fall away, we win.

This is a good point on TJD.  When he goes up strong, he follows through and generally finishes. When he goes up looking for contact and simply floats the ball at the basket, he usually misses. This is probably his last crack at little brother at home, so I would hope he goes beast mode. CMW should have the boys fired-up in a way Archie never understood. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I haven't seen Purdue play both Williams and Edey on the floor at the same time very much at all...they do a true 4 out, 1 in on offense with the big guys rotating...

Their 4 is Mason Gillis...he's undersized, but he'll get in there and bang around...Race might have a height advantage, but Gillis is no pushover...plus, he's pretty good from 3 so Race will have to go out and guard him...he's shooting the 3 at a 53% clip this year...

I understand that is what they do, and Race should absolutely punk Gillis and Furst. It's a grown man against two boys, and he should treat it as such. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Haha 1

There is really no excuse not to play well in this game. That doesn't automatically equate to winning or shooting well, but we should give up few Orebs (idc how big they are), we should give up few open looks, and we should not be turning to ball over at a high rate. Purdue absolutely can still beat us, but we should not, in any way, beat ourselves on Thursday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Gillis matches up ok with Race

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Some of you think purdue is undefeated. They are very beatable. IF TJD is fired up and takes it at the bigs strong and doesnt fall away, we win.

True but we won't get the same PU team that Rutgers and PSU got.  They'll play one of their best games of the year.  Guaranteed.  We need to play like we did against OSU.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand that is what they do, and Race should absolutely punk Gillis and Furst. It's a grown man against two boys, and he should treat it as such. 

On the offensive end, yeah, Race has an advantage, but don't underestimate Gillis...he's physical and can scrap...haven't seen enough of Furst to comment...

Gillis doesn't put it on the floor very much, so as long as Race sticks to him on the perimeter, we'll be ok...

This is a game where the lack of development of Lander really hurts. If he was a reliable backup PG, I'd start XJ and RP as the backcourt and bring Stewart off the bench. PS will really have a tough time keeping Ivey in front of him. But it's tough having XJ and RP on the court together long because of potential foul trouble. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Gillis is a grown man lol. I like Race but Gillis  is far from a boy. 

Race has him beat in height, weight, and averages more than double the rebounds per game. 

I honestly don't know that Gillis or Furst would really be playing for IU. I don't see either getting minutes over Geronimo and Furst got punked by a guy who has played 11 minutes all year for us. That is absolutely a weak link we are going to attack for you guys; they normally can hide a bit with Edey and Williams, but those two will be busy with TJD and it's going to allow IU to expose that in ways most teams cannot. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Race has him beat in height, weight, and averages more than double the rebounds per game. 

I honestly don't know that Gillis or Furst would really be playing for IU. I don't see either getting minutes over Geronimo and Furst got punked by a guy who has played 11 minutes all year for us. That is absolutely a weak link we are going to attack for you guys; they normally can hide a bit with Edey and Williams, but those two will be busy with TJD and it's going to allow IU to expose that in ways most teams cannot. 

Tell me you’re not referencing a random AAU game where Duncomb had a better game than Furst lol. 

Furst had a great start to the year but has hit the freshman wall (covid bout didn’t help either). 

Gillis is a solid defender who shoots the 3 at at 53% clip. 

• Like 1