Purdue pre-game….

Artesian_86

Just now, IUFLA said:

Easier said than done, I guess. Ivey has matured a lot from last year. Then when he went to the basket, he was gonna shoot it...now he's a more willing interior passer...

Stewart will definitely have a challenge staying in front of him...

I don't think there is any question about that, but defense isn't a 1 on 1 game. It's a complete 5 person concept, hell a 20 person concept in the first half when you get to defend in front of your own bench. 

Yes, Parker has a mighty big task ahead of him, but it's more like our entire team does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think there is any question about that, but defense isn't a 1 on 1 game. It's a complete 5 person concept, hell a 20 person concept in the first half when you get to defend in front of your own bench. 

Yes, Parker has a mighty big task ahead of him, but it's more like our entire team does. 

Understand...TJD and Race provide good rim protection on the dribble drive...My point was more toward Ivey's ability this year to find their bigs in traffic when Trayce and Race do help...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand...TJD and Race provide good rim protection on the dribble drive...My point was more toward Ivey's ability this year to find their bigs in traffic when Trayce and Race do help...

You beat me to it. They help to make up for defensive deficiencies by Stewart and Kopp. However, Edey and Williams have 104 offensive rebounds (vs 79 for TJD and Race), so TJD and Race may not be as free to roam around and help. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Force him to Isaiah Thompson when he starts to drive, and maybe he doesn't get in the paint to begin with. Thompson is shooting 11% from 3 in B1G play. Trayce or whoever is guarding Edey/Williams can't help at all. 

Whoever is guarding Gillis and Thompson are the helpers. 

Honestly, might cross match and put Johnson on Ivey. Parker can guard Thompson, enough and will help more. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/01/19/film-session-nebraska-12/

Hopefully we figure out how to get Stewart more shots....

After a 2-of-3 performance against the Cornhuskers, Parker Stewart is now shooting 46.6 percent from deep. That’s the 57th-best mark for a player in all of Division I college basketball. Additionally, the UT-Martin transfer’s offensive rating of 113.0 ranks third-best on the Hoosiers behind Trayce Jackson-Davis (119.8) and Race Thompson (116.3). Yet, his usage rate of 13 percent is just the 10th-highest on Indiana’s roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/01/19/film-session-nebraska-12/

Hopefully we figure out how to get Stewart more shots....

After a 2-of-3 performance against the Cornhuskers, Parker Stewart is now shooting 46.6 percent from deep. That’s the 57th-best mark for a player in all of Division I college basketball. Additionally, the UT-Martin transfer’s offensive rating of 113.0 ranks third-best on the Hoosiers behind Trayce Jackson-Davis (119.8) and Race Thompson (116.3). Yet, his usage rate of 13 percent is just the 10th-highest on Indiana’s roster.

Really liked how they ran sets for him to get open threes in the second half of NEB. Needs to happen for often. 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

You would think with a 7:00 tip we wouldn’t have to worry about a game on before ours running long, but you would be wrong. Georgetown at Providence tips at 5:00 on FS1 right before us. I’m getting home later tomorrow night, so I’m probably doomed to not get the start of our game on the DVR. 

is that game a moved Covid game? 

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Whoever is guarding Gillis and Thompson are the helpers. 

Gillis is 12-21 from 3 land in his last 6 games...

But, Purdue is not unbeatable...we can do it...a defensive performance like we had against Ohio State coupled with a slightly better showing than 2-15 from deep I think gets us a win...

Edited by IUFLA

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Two things I heard this morning on Coyle's show...

He said Purdue was a 15 point favorite (I find that hard to believe) and Don Fischer said he thinks the best matchup for Ivey is Trey Galloway...

🤔

As tough as life on the road is, if Turdue is a 15-point favorite, I'd absolutely take IU and the points and I'd be glad to put 2 grand on it.

I frankly don't believe that line.  Must be some very heavy early Turdue betting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As tough as life on the road is, if Turdue is a 15-point favorite, I'd absolutely take IU and the points and I'd be glad to put 2 grand on it.

I frankly don't believe that line.  Must be some very heavy early Turdue betting.

Coyle was quoting someone from the live chat during his show...I tried to find the line, but seems Vegas keeps it a secret until the day of the game...

I'm not much of a gambler, so maybe I just don't know where to look...

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gillis is 12-21 from 3 land in his last 6 games...

But, Purdue is not unbeatable...we can do it...a defensive performance like we had against Ohio State coupled with a slightly better showing than 2-15 from deep I think gets us a win...

Do you think that's sustainable? 

I realize what Gillis is shooting, but you aren't leaving Sasha if Ivey drives. Can't help off their big, can't help of Sasha. Thompson and Gillis are your only options with their starters. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coyle was quoting someone from the live chat during his show...I tried to find the line, but seems Vegas keeps it a secret until the day of the game...

I'm not much of a gambler, so maybe I just don't know where to look...

Use oddshark.com, it'll give you a bunch of different lines. Doesn't have any posted right now, I assume that'll happen soon. They might be waiting a TJD confirmation, though. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Two things I heard this morning on Coyle's show...

He said Purdue was a 15 point favorite (I find that hard to believe) and Don Fischer said he thinks the best matchup for Ivey is Trey Galloway...

🤔

I googled the line for the game and a 15 point spread came up but it was from the IU @ PU football game. I’ll bet that is what the guy saw as our line isn’t out yet and there is no way we will be 15 point dogs at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Do you think that's sustainable? 

I realize what Gillis is shooting, but you aren't leaving Sasha if Ivey drives. Can't help off their big, can't help of Sasha. Thompson and Gillis are your only options with their starters. 

Oh, I definitely think it's, as someone else said, pick your poison. I'm just saying Gillis is no slouch from out there. He shoots it with nice form and his confidence level is high...

Illinois was holding teams to 35% from three before Purdue came in and went 8-18 on them...we hold teams to slightly under 30% in conference play...and I think we have to hold PU near that number...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, it sounded fishy...

Yes, I’m sure the 15 point spread was a mistake on his part.
That being said, I will not be stunned if we lose by 15+ nor will I be stunned if we win. Hard game to predict. Looking forward to seeing 91% of the game (I assume the 5:00 game will run long…LOL) and the Hall will be rocking.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I definitely think it's, as someone else said, pick your poison. I'm just saying Gillis is no slouch from out there. He shoots it with nice form and his confidence level is high...

Illinois was holding teams to 35% from three before Purdue came in and went 8-18 on them...we hold teams to slightly under 30% in conference play...and I think we have to hold PU near that number...

They were 3-10 outside of Sasha. Gillis shot 3 shots in 43 mins of play and Thompson was 1-4 from 3, which is double % wise on what he has been shooting from 3. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not even interested in coming up with a defensive game plan. Bottom line, get more good looks then they get. For the love of god keep them off the glass, and the two bigs cannot get in foul trouble. We will be in it in the final 5 mins if we can do that stuff. 

It will be nice to get Purdue into foul trouble early….

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They were 3-10 outside of Sasha. Gillis shot 3 shots in 43 mins of play and Thompson was 1-4 from 3, which is double % wise that he has been shooting from 3. 

As far as Thompson goes, are you talking about a string of recent games? I show him at 41% for the year...

As far as Stefanovic goes, who do we put on him? Kopp?