Bracketology 2021-2022

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I also think this has to do with money and exposure for the Dayton games.

Just watch, our game will be a sold out, 80+% IU crowd, and the TV ratings will break records for the first four.

I’m convinced this is why ND vs Michigan didn’t happen because the committee would have made it obvious what the idea was.

This team has gotten it's fair share of bad breaks this year, but has also put itself in some tough positions.

What they also proved to us, now that their backs are against the wall, is that they can play pretty damn well backed all the way into the corner. 

So yeah, maybe it sucks we are First Four. Maybe the travel really sucks. But we are playing teams that probably aren't as talented as us, definitely aren't the profile of a team that's going to light us up from three. The games over the next week are gong to be played in a phone booth - and I ain't betting against TJD in that matchup right now. 

TJD will probably be the best player on the court every game between now and Baylor. X very well may be the second best player on the floor in all of those games with the way he is playing. And I don't think we are getting B1G officials in any of these games, so that can't hurt anything. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When was the last time we were not put in Kentucky Bracket.  Its the only reason were the seed we are.  So they could slam us into that Bracket and hope they get the IU Kentucky or IU PU rubber match.  

That wouldn't happen until the Elite 8. Seriously doubt we make it that far, or that it was even something they considered. 

• Like 3

Just hoping that the let downs of that a55 bending loss and the seeding don't have a psychological affect. St. Mary's is always an Australian Jr. National team loosely translated to soft but they can get hot and beat anyone. 

I think the Big Ten will rebound from the disappointment of last season. 

I'm taking Duke for the storybook ending for Coach K. 

8 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When was the last time we were not put in Kentucky Bracket.  Its the only reason were the seed we are.  So they could slam us into that Bracket and hope they get the IU Kentucky or IU PU rubber match.  

We weren't in the Kentucky bracket the last several years 😁

• Haha 9

My 2 cents: The B1G was really an 7-8 team caliber league this year (definitely not the strongest B1G of recent memory). The problem was that teams like RU, UM, and IU kind messed up their bracketing. I think we should have been better seeded, but we had many opportunities to be better seeded. 

Let's win some games. If we can get out of the first weekend, this first game just gives us one extra NCAA tournament victory on our resume. 

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 2

I was disappointed and angry about drawing the play in game for about an hour or two. I felt we should have gotten at least as good a seed as UM. However, after that initial hour or so, I just want IU to focus and deal with the task at hand, which is kicking Wyoming's butt and advancing to face St. Mary's. One game at a time. Let's go Hoosiers!!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Which is complete crap because Michigan spent the first half of the season doing nothing but losing

14 hours ago, GoshenFan84 said:

17-14 record, coach suspended for punching another coach, losing a 17 point lead to another bubble team, and get seeded higher than the team you just lost to….

How a team has played recently has always been a big factor for the selection committee. By recently I mean since February not just the handful of conference tournament games.  Before tournament play, we were 2-7 in February and March. Michigan was 7-5. Our two wins were against Maryland and Minnesota. 5 of Michigan's 7 wins were against tournament teams. 

Look, I hate Michigan almost as much as I hate Purdue but this overinflated view of what IU "deserved" is just silly. I just  read a comment on instagram sayin "they are disrespecting our name by making us play in the first four". Really?!?! Perhaps the product that we've put on the court in previous years since 2016 is what has "disrespected our name".

After a pathetically weak non-conference schedule and an atrocious February (including the Windy City 5 mess). This team rallied enough to squeak into the tournament. How anyone can complain about that is beyond me. I'm sure Xavier, Texas A&M, and countless other schools would love to be as "disrespected" as IU right now.

Win or Lose on Tuesday this team got over the hump and made the NCAA tournament after missing the last 5 years. Nothing can take that away from them.

• Like 5

I hate to look ahead but as fans that is what we do. Listed as the 2nd most overrated team in the tourney just behind Ohio State is this team.

Saint Mary's

The Gaels (25-7) can be one of the most deceiving teams in the tournament because they have an excellent profile, but it's largely a result of playing so well on their home court – where they went undefeated and knocked off Gonzaga on Feb. 26. Coach Randy Bennett's team has good statistics defensively, but offense is where we could see Saint Mary's get into trouble and fall into lulls against a high-octane, tempo-controlling opponent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1