Bracketology 2021-2022

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Its Monday morning and this reference is going over my head, not too proud to admit. Please fill me in on what I can't seem to get. Thanks

Sorry for the Monday morning confusion. The reference was the Geiko "it's what you do" commercials. 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hate to look ahead but as fans that is what we do...

If you are a basketball fan, you look ahead. It's what you do!

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Sorry for the Monday morning confusion. The reference was the Geiko "it's what you do" commercials. 

If you are a basketball fan, you look ahead. It's what you do!

Thank you , I knew it was something obvious but I just was not getting it. All I could think of was 15 minutes could save you 15% percent. I am not a genius but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

How a team has played recently has always been a big factor for the selection committee. By recently I mean since February not just the handful of conference tournament games.  Before tournament play, we were 2-7 in February and March. Michigan was 7-5. Our two wins were against Maryland and Minnesota. 5 of Michigan's 7 wins were against tournament teams. 

Look, I hate Michigan almost as much as I hate Purdue but this overinflated view of what IU "deserved" is just silly. I just  read a comment on instagram sayin "they are disrespecting our name by making us play in the first four". Really?!?! Perhaps the product that we've put on the court in previous years since 2016 is what has "disrespected our name".

After a pathetically weak non-conference schedule and an atrocious February (including the Windy City 5 mess). This team rallied enough to squeak into the tournament. How anyone can complain about that is beyond me. I'm sure Xavier, Texas A&M, and countless other schools would love to be as "disrespected" as IU right now.

Win or Lose on Tuesday this team got over the hump and made the NCAA tournament after missing the last 5 years. Nothing can take that away from them.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the selection committee has said over several recent years, if not longer, that they do not take into account recent play. They look at complete body of work, not an 8, 10 or whatever game snapshot at the end of the season.  

Also, I keep hearing about SOS, but what often doesn't get brought up in that discussion is that many of the main metrics (KenPom for instance and I believe NET) already have SOS factored in. So, that's already there when comparing our metrics to teams that got a bye. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

If they have not already, GEIKO should do an NCAA version of the commercial where they have some big upset occurring while the fan looks ahead. 

They could feature with PU or UK and that would be hysterical. After typing that PU would not work, they always expect the sky to be falling. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hate to look ahead but as fans that is what we do. Listed as the 2nd most overrated team in the tourney just behind Ohio State is this team.

Saint Mary's

The Gaels (25-7) can be one of the most deceiving teams in the tournament because they have an excellent profile, but it's largely a result of playing so well on their home court – where they went undefeated and knocked off Gonzaga on Feb. 26. Coach Randy Bennett's team has good statistics defensively, but offense is where we could see Saint Mary's get into trouble and fall into lulls against a high-octane, tempo-controlling opponent.

I have not watched on single St. Mary's game but I heard that they were the ranked 10th in adjusted defense and like to slow the tempo this season.  Yay!

Does anybody know if they run an effective zone? 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the selection committee has said over several recent years, if not longer, that they do not take into account recent play. They look at complete body of work, not an 8, 10 or whatever game snapshot at the end of the season.  

Also, I keep hearing about SOS, but what often doesn't get brought up in that discussion is that many of the main metrics (KenPom for instance and I believe NET) already have SOS factored in. So, that's already there when comparing our metrics to teams that got a bye. 

I hear all that for sure. I'm not saying we can't make an argument as to why we should have Michigan's seed and they have ours. I'm just responding to the "we were completely shafted", "the world is against IU", "they have disrespected us" kind of comments. You could make an argument for any of the last 8 teams that got in and probably the first 2 that didn't to take any of the 11-12 seeds. I'm just thankful we got one of those 8 spots.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I have not watched on single St. Mary's game but I heard that they were the ranked 10th in adjusted defense and like to slow the tempo this season.  Yay!

I have only watched parts of a couple of games and it seems to me that they do run a lot of zone. Very methodical and not overly athletic to say the least. I don't see a way that they could contain TJD and X.  Like we have said before we are gonna have to hit some shots

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It appears that they don't put much stock in conference tournaments, especially for seeding.  Regular season results are more important, and rightfully so.  That's where we crippled ourselves (2 whizzed away games vs WI, and a couple others, and throwing a game against NW because some players couldn't abide by team rules). 

We're in the show and hopefully learned some lessons along the way.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have only watched parts of a couple of games and it seems to me that they do run a lot of zone. Very methodical and not overly athletic to say the least. I don't see a way that they could contain TJD and X.  Like we have said before we are gonna have to hit some shots

Honestly, this is not making me feel better, but lets get past Wyoming first. 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

They beat Gonzaga.  That's all I need to know.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

They beat Gonzaga.  That's all I need to know.  

I don't think you can over estimate the home court advantage. Obviously you have to be a good team to get a 5 seed and to beat Gonzaga but playing in that cracker box of a gym  is a lot like Cameron Indoor. The students are right on you and loud. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I hear all that for sure. I'm not saying we can't make an argument as to why we should have Michigan's seed and they have ours. I'm just responding to the "we were completely shafted", "the world is against IU", "they have disrespected us" kind of comments. You could make an argument for any of the last 8 teams that got in and probably the first 2 that didn't to take any of the 11-12 seeds. I'm just thankful we got one of those 8 spots.

Completely agree. I highly doubt the committee is sitting there all weekend thinking about how they can screw IU. 

I was just responding to your point about the committee pointing extra emphasis on February. They've said for several years that they don't weight the last 10 games or the last month any differently then they do games played any other time of the year. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't think you can over estimate the home court advantage. Obviously you have to be a good team to get a 5 seed and to beat Gonzaga but playing in that cracker box of a gym  is a lot like Cameron Indoor. The students are right on you and loud. 

True enough...but they're a smart team and I have no reason to think that IU would win easily.  Some folks, not saying you, seem to believe we will.  I think IU had better show that they can beat Wyoming first.  Let's just win and move on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

True enough...but they're a smart team and I have no reason to think that IU would win easily.  Some folks, not saying you, seem to believe we will.  I think IU had better show that they can beat Wyoming first.  Let's just win and move on.

I think of all the 5 seeds that is the best match up for IU. With that being said we have to get past Wyoming and deal with the travel issues as well. St Marys IMO would be no better than Northwestern in the BIG. I know we lost to NW. If we had to play in the play in game then this is the best scenario for us I believe. Make no mistake we have to play great Tuesday and Thursday to stay alive. Nothing at this time of year is easy.

• Like 4

Wyoming isn’t 25-8 by chance. But also they have only played a few games against teams I would consider our caliber from a talent standpoint. Upsets happen every year and raw talent gets beat ALOT , however our defense should keep us in most games and Wyoming should be an easier game than 75 percent of the big ten. Just have to play defense and pray we can hit some open shots..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I watched their Gonzaga games - we can beat them. They're not going to frustrate us by slowing the game down.

The Gonzaga games kind of reminded me of how Crean's uptempo teams struggled against those grind it out Wisconsin teams because of the contrast in style of play. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I thought our seed was fair.  I didnt bat an eye when it was revealed. 

I was disappointed, but have always enjoyed being the underdog. Don't get me wrong, I loved IU sports teams being ranked and lauded, but often times it comes at a cost. Look at it this way,.....the play in game is the most important game of the year at this point and also the most important NCAA tournament game IU has had in 6 years. If Woodson and the boys want to start getting respect from the national media, they gotta get past St. Mary's. 

......Get past Wyoming, we are "officially" in the field of 64 and out of the "maybe's"!  

......Get past St. Mary's then people will start to take notice and begin second guessing IU's seeding.

......Lose either one, then IU was exactly where it should have been. JMHO 

Go IU.....Beat the Cowboys! 

• Like 7

Looking at the overall seeding it doesn’t look like the conference tournaments played a big roll in seeding. Michigan and Rutgers where in going into the week. Didn’t move after getting beat.  Iu in the bubble stayed on bubble by just moving in. They look at the whole year equally. IU didn’t move a lot because we played good the last week. 

• Like 2

I do think they should give some credit to how a team is playing at the end of the season.  Some teams get bad draws playing teams that are hit and playing the best they have all year. If your playing really hood at the end of the year it should count for something. If your playing bad it should count. Teams improve as the year goes some lore than others. 

• Like 1