Bracketology 2021-2022

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think they'll give him next year at least.  I just don't think they should.  Matt Doherty looks like a good hire compared to Davis.

They are stuck with him for at least one more season. He's one of their own and was self-appointed by Ol' Roy. That being said they will not give him an Archie-sized leash. The only thing that could shrink his leash would be if they are 100% sure they could make a Brad Stevens-level hire (and their Alumni base is pushing for just that). As someone who lives in Raleigh, I find it soooo satisfying watching them suck like this. It's too bad the ACC is all-around bad this year otherwise they'd be scraping the bottom of the standings

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

They are stuck with him for at least one more season. He's one of their own and was self-appointed by Ol' Roy. That being said they will not give him an Archie-sized leash. The only thing that could shrink his leash would be if they are 100% sure they could make a Brad Stevens-level hire (and their Alumni base is pushing for just that). As someone who lives in Raleigh, I find it soooo satisfying watching them suck like this. It's too bad the ACC is all-around bad this year otherwise they'd be scraping the bottom of the standings

The last few years should show that getting big time coaches to leave their current job is not easy.  Also I am tired of all the instant gratification and impatience by fans today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The last few years should show that getting big time coaches to leave their current job is not easy.  Also I am tired of all the instant gratification and impatience by fans today.

There's probably a guy named UNC Scott emailing the AD as we speak ;) 

• Haha 6

44 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Duke will go through the same in a couple years. K isnt leaving a mess of a team behind like ol'Roy left Davis.

3 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I thought Roy wanted the UNC Greensboro guy (now at Cincy)? Think there were many people calling this before it happened. That is the poor job Hubert has done. 

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Curious on the details here.  On the surface, it appeared Hubert was left pretty good talent and experience.

They're 16-7 this year and went 18-10 last year. It doesn't exactly seem like he is dropping off from what he inherited.

I get there have been some bad losses, and I haven't watched UNC enough to form an "eye test" opinion (have any of us? Genuinely curious) but I would think on this current trajectory he isn't in risk of a change being made for a few years. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, madmax said:

So what’s the consensus at this point… we need to win 3 straight vs Maryland, Minnesota, and Rutgers(who is very good of late). 

Does that get us in at 19-11 with a loss to Purdue? Or do we need some games in the B10?

I would venture to say that beating Maryland, Minny, and Rutgers puts us safely in.  

20 minutes ago, madmax said:

So what’s the consensus at this point… we need to win 3 straight vs Maryland, Minnesota, and Rutgers(who is very good of late). 

Does that get us in at 19-11 with a loss to Purdue? Or do we need some games in the B10?

Safely in....which is all we wanted to start year 1 of the Woodson era. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, madmax said:

I think that's a reasonable assessment...

All of the next 3 games scare me a little...

Maryland has the talent to beat anybody (they've beaten Illinois and Rutgers)

We have historically never had good luck at the Barn 

And Rutgers is playing pretty well, even in their loss at Mackey...

Tough road, but if we want in, we have to win the next 3...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's a reasonable assessment...

All of the next 3 games scare me a little...

Maryland has the talent to beat anybody (they've beaten Illinois and Rutgers)

We have historically never had good luck at the Barn 

And Rutgers is playing pretty well, even in their loss at Mackey...

Tough road, but if we want in, we have to win the next 3...

Rutgers is playing very well and luckily for them, Harper Jr’s injury was to his non-shooting hand so he can still score it. Their biggest issue is depth and if they get in foul trouble (which happened the other day), they’re in a really tough spot. But their starting 5 is one of the best in the league IMO. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

On 2/16/2022 at 7:22 PM, IUFLA said:

19 now...

Anybody that thinks when Rutgers visits IU it'll be a cakewalk is wrong...

They don't have much depth, but their 5 starters are all pretty good players...

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Rutgers is playing very well and luckily for them, Harper Jr’s injury was to his non-shooting hand so he can still score it. Their biggest issue is depth and if they get in foul trouble (which happened the other day), they’re in a really tough spot. But their starting 5 is one of the best in the league IMO. 

You've been reading my posts! 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madmax said:

19-11 regular season gets us in. 

That said, if we go 18-12, it's going to take a good run in BTT.  Assuming we lose in BTT at some point, we would have 13 losses.  That's not a number that gets you in that often.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

In all seriousness though, the Hyatt kid isn't bad, but other than that, their depth is inexperienced...The Reiber kid shows flashes, but I haven't been impressed with Mag or Miller...