Honest thoughts from Coach Woodson's hiring and where we stand in conference

One of the major accomplishments that CMW has achieved already in his brief tenure is to energize the fan base again. Remember just last Spring how downtrodden fans were, and that certainly seemed to reflect how the team was feeling about itself. I see, feel, sense a restoration of the pride that goes along with being associated with the IU basketball program, whether it's as a fan, alumni, current players, or ex-players. There is no amount of value that can be ascribed to the reunification of what was a divided fan base.

Recruiting has exceeded my expectations, and frankly I see this as  CMW intelligently using his past experiences, both college and pro, both player and coach, to provide recruits with a fair evaluation of how he can help them improve. From what I have seen thus far, that is not limited to how he can help them as basketball players, but more importantly how he can help them become better young men. I don't think this is any different than the last two head coaches from that regard, the difference being that CMW has the basketball chops to go along with his message. 

The current product on the floor is a work in progress, which I anticipated would be the case this year. I am encouraged by the all around better play. I am encouraged that at least thus far, we have been in every game, with no blowouts. I would like us to develop more of a killer instinct, but also realize that it takes time to overcome the mindsets that were developed in the carry over players from the last coaching regime. I do think these guys play hard, and play freer than in the past. I am hopeful that we will be a much better team in March than we were in December, or than we are now in mid-January.

IMO, we are moving in the right direction, which realistically is the most important attribute for any coach's first season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i don't know if i care that much, even though he isn't a starter.  It more that we haven't deviated at all once this season from our starting line-up, unless someone was hurt or in trouble.  I never understand that.  If someone is playing better or we see a better grouping of kids why not start them.  Galloway and rob some to mind.  Rob and XJ play really well together.  Galloway is a better option than Kopp to start.  But we just start the same 5 regardless of how they play for both halves.  I is something i didn't like about CAM and its something i don't like about CMW.  Everyone says you have to earn playing time or whatnot, but mine and everyone elses eyes tell you Miller Kopp is not a starter and should come off the bench. 

Just little things like this annoy me, but not enough to think about it unless i am watching a game or on here.

Cheers

What we see in a game, compared to what they see in practice is like 10:1. I don't understand this sort of mind set at all. The constant need to question lineups/playing time. Do most teams change who starts the second half of games, compared to the first? Does that happen often? and do you have any sort of information that tells us that is the BEST route to take? I've honestly maybe only seen that like twice in all the basketball I've watched and coached. If there was a complaint about our offensive or defensive scheme... I mean, ok. But this whole who gets to play/substitution/lineup discussion is just absurd to me. 

This isn't meant to sound like a personal attack. I hope it doesn't. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What we see in a game, compared to what they see in practice is like 1:10. I don't understand this sort of mind set at all. The constant need to question lineups/playing time. Do most teams change who starts the second half of games, compared to the first? Does that happen often? and do you have any sort of information that tells us that is the BEST route to take? I've honestly maybe only seen that like twice in all the basketball I've watched and coached. If there was a complaint about our offensive or defensive scheme... I mean, ok. But this whole who gets to play/substitution/lineup discussion is just absurd to me. 

This isn't meant to sound like a personal attack. I hope it doesn't. 

Not really surprised you disagree with me, seems like you don't agree with most people on here anymore, which is fine, its an internet forum and you are your own person with your own opinions. Whether you get it, understand it or agree with it or or not, doesn't really matter.  Its something that bothers me.  Doesn't bother you, awesome, enjoy the show and don't worry about it.

Nothing personal here, just don't really care if you agree with me or not.

Go Hoosiers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not really surprised you disagree with me, seems like you don't agree with most people on here anymore, which is fine, its an internet forum and you are your own person with your own opinions. Whether you get it, understand it or agree with it or or not, doesn't really matter.  Its something that bothers me.  Doesn't bother you, awesome, enjoy the show and don't worry about it.

Nothing personal here, just don't really care if you agree with me or not.

Go Hoosiers

I just don't get the substitution complaints. That's about the only thing I don't agree with people on here about. You quoted me about Miller Kopp, I was simply replying to you. 

Just thinking of this staff.. how many in NCAA history had or have

-2 NBA Lottery picks? , Hill, Woodson

-McDonalds AA, Fife

-2 who played/coached in championship game - Fife, Matta

-2 who played and coached in the NBA

-A head coach, who played, was an AA, played in the NBA, was a head coach in the NBA, and assistant.  

Throw in Hunter, Ya, etc.  Wow!

They talk about the Arkansa coach, but he never had the experience of playing like Coach Woodson, they talk about Pitino coaching in both, but again playing.   

Then, coaching your hometeam, home state, Bob Knight player, etc.

Playing Michigan today had me thinking, and as big of a fan as I am of Howard and his resume....nothing compared to Woodson as far as combo of both playing and coaching.  

Then, throw in all these ex players announcers talking about how cool and good of a coach he is....need to make clips of that. 

Morning rant.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 3