Dressing for Success: To Suit or not to Suit...

FKIM01

I wear a suit a lot. I think it’s the market. Old money people is who I deal with. I’m comfortable in it and not bothered either way. I don’t care what the dress code is as long as it’s consistent. Also not to sound sexist but mens attire vs womens can be a big issue. Big issue when I’m wearing a suit and the stuff they get away wearing….no matter just do my job and my clients appreciate me I imagine if I changed now they wouldn’t care but that’s after getting to know me…I think it’s a market by market thing and I’ve noticed even some of my clients have changed since the pandemic and working from home. 

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wear a suit a lot. I think it’s the market. Old money people is who I deal with. I’m comfortable in it and not bothered either way. I don’t care what the dress code is as long as it’s consistent. Also not to sound sexist but mens attire vs womens can be a big issue. Big issue when I’m wearing a suit and the stuff they get away wearing….no matter just do my job and my clients appreciate me I imagine if I changed now they wouldn’t care but that’s after getting to know me…I think it’s a market by market thing and I’ve noticed even some of my clients have changed since the pandemic and working from home. 

Banker? Investment management? Family office?

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Based on his comments about what the women wear, I'm guessing he manages some Gentlemen's Clubs.  

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Private banking is probably the best description although it’s not what we call it.

Banking.  Is that what we're calling it these days (wink, wink)?

• Haha 1

I used to wear a suit at least 4 days a week. For the last 9 years I could probably count on 2 hands the number of times I have worn one. I have all least 8-10 suits to donate to whatever organization that provides business attire to people who need a step up. If I can help someone better their lives by donating a suit I’ll never wear again, then that makes me happy 

• Like 6

Comfort is the name of the game for me. Not wearing a suit unless I absolutely have too. Not even willing to wear khakis on a flight. If I'm flying and have to go right to a meeting or something, I'll change when I get there. 

But, suit? No go unless I have too (funeral or wedding). 

• Like 3

Comfort all the way for me. Only time I've worn suits over the last 20 years are weddings, funerals and job interviews. Current employer has always been business casual then started letting us wear jeans all the time which I loved. Now been WFH for nearly two years so yeah, t-shirts and shorts/sweats. On the rare occasion I have to be on camera for a meeting, I'll throw on one of my old collared shirts. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, btownqb said:

I got my pair yesterday, haven't taken them off. I'm a bit of a dirt ball on the weekends. Order a gray pair, about to order a black one. 

How do they fit? I've struggled ordering joggers online....usually too short in the leg or too baggy. I'm 6'1 and usually wear 34/34 pants. For the price they would be great for wearing around the house on the weekend or for taking the dog out on a walk on a cool evening.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How do they fit? I've struggled ordering joggers online....usually too short in the leg or too baggy. I'm 6'1 and usually wear 34/34 pants. For the price they would be great for wearing around the house on the weekend or for taking the dog out on a walk on a cool evening.

Yes to "where you'd wear them". I ordered a L, seems like that'd be decent choice for you. I'd order both and return the one I didnt like, jmo though. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:34 PM, bronkonagurski said:

Comfort all the way for me. Only time I've worn suits over the last 20 years are weddings, funerals and job interviews. Current employer has always been business casual then started letting us wear jeans all the time which I loved. Now been WFH for nearly two years so yeah, t-shirts and shorts/sweats. On the rare occasion I have to be on camera for a meeting, I'll throw on one of my old collared shirts. 

I even stopped wearing suits to job interviews. Just seems silly now when you're the only one in the room wearing a suit, and typically everyone else is in jeans or at least some form if casual. 

I also found I was usually going to the interview from the current job, so what am I going to do, change into a suit in the car?

If they want me, a suit isn't going to make or break it, and if it did then I probably don't want to work there anyways. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I even stopped wearing suits to job interviews. Just seems silly now when you're the only one in the room wearing a suit, and typically everyone else is in jeans or at least some form if casual. 

I also found I was usually going to the interview from the current job, so what am I going to do, change into a suit in the car?

If they want me, a suit isn't going to make or break it, and if it did then I probably don't want to work there anyways. 

I get that for sure. Can become difficult though in some careers where the standard varies like in the financial industry. Definitely have those places that have become more business casual but others that are very traditional...and even some places where depending on the roles what you wear....some that are not "typically" client facing so most days they don't need to be as traditional but others it's expected. I would like to say I have the luxury of choosing not to work in places that expect it..however in my career and were I am in it I still am at the mercy of the industry or the culture of the places I do want to work. Also...I'm at the mercy of my clients too and their expectations...they vary widely as well and I know many that would be uncomfortable in a meeting with me in a suit and others that expect it. I just roll with it. We have events where everyone is in them and times where it would be wildly inappropriate and look foolish. I do like how I look in a suit...my wife likes them too...but I wouldn't be sad if they went away. Heck with me I have a bigger hate for my ties then a jacket for sure!

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

That's our mindset here.  I interviewed a young lady a few years back (we're talking just short of 20 years old) and she came to the interview in torn jeans.  She interviewed great and I hired her, but I gently told her at the end that while we are very relaxed, the torn jean look was just a bit too casual for the office.  She was a tad embarrassed but told me she was headed to her brother's ballgame and promised not to wear the shreds to work.  She worked out fine but has thus far been the only employee to leave me before retirement.  Couldn't blame her...she married a guy from Warsaw which meant almost a 4-hour commute.

Today...very cold so it's jeans and a logo sweatshirt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's our mindset here.  I interviewed a young lady a few years back (we're talking just short of 20 years old) and she came to the interview in torn jeans.  She interviewed great and I hired her, but I gently told her at the end that while we are very relaxed, the torn jean look was just a bit too casual for the office.  She was a tad embarrassed but told me she was headed to her brother's ballgame and promised not to wear the shreds to work.  She worked out fine but has thus far been the only employee to leave me before retirement.  Couldn't blame her...she married a guy from Warsaw which meant almost a 4-hour commute.

Today...very cold so it's jeans and a logo sweatshirt.

Good for you for hiring her anyways. I judge the person and what they can provide, not the clothes. 

With that said, while I don't suit-up for interviews as much anymore, I also don't wear jeans. I just go business casual (gray or blue pants, button down, etc.) since 99% of the time that is what the people interviewing me are wearing. 

I haven't once noticed it being an issue. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Good for you for hiring her anyways. I judge the person and what they can provide, not the clothes. 

With that said, while I don't suit-up for interviews as much anymore, I also don't wear jeans. I just go business casual (gray or blue pants, button down, etc.) since 99% of the time that is what the people interviewing me are wearing. 

I haven't once noticed it being an issue. 

I knew her family and as corny as it sounds, I felt like I knew her heart.  I've said many times that I can't teach honesty & integrity.  If an employee has that, they usually have other desirable qualities like intelligence, work ethic, neat appearance and pleasant personality.

I've never hired someone I didn't already have at least a passing acquaintance with, known the family, gone to church with, etc.  Thus far, it's served me very well as I've never had to fire an employee, never found an employee doing anything questionable and never had an employee quit over a disagreement or job dissatisfaction.  My office manager is 66 and finally downshifted to part-time.  She told me that had she stayed at the bank, she would have retired years ago out of frustration.

My most recent hire was a job shadow five years ago.  He took my advice on major in college and proved very determined to succeed.  Summer of 2020, he was selling home security systems door to door on foot in rural West Virginia.  I told him if he could succeed in that setting, I had no doubt he'd make it in this business.  He interned with us this summer, my staff loved him so we made him a permanent offer for when he graduates in May.  He had some great stories of his time in West Virginia and his experience working at a really high-end golf course.  He's still young and likes dressing up so I told him to feel free to do so.  Our dress code is a relaxed minimum standard that you can go beyond if you like.  The flexibility is definitely appreciated in our rural setting, but I see a sea change in metro work settings like you have mentioned as well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

They’re longer than I expected. I order a medium and am just under 6’ w/ and a 32/32. I think a L will work for you. I love how a thread titled ‘Dress for success’ turned into a sweatpants ordering spree. Haha. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

They’re longer than I expected. I order a medium and am just under 6’ w/ and a 32/32. I think a L will work for you. I love how a thread titled ‘Dress for success’ turned into a sweatpants ordering spree. Haha. 

Sounds good! I think I'll order a large. Been in the 60's this week down here in Florida and I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a pair to throw on around the house and running quick errands.