Curt Hopf

3Ballin

I personally think ruling him ineligible is a crock.  There was an IHSAA review only because Forest Park did not sign off.  Kids move for athletic reasons all the time, but the only time the school losing the kid makes an issue of it is if it is a star player.  If the shoe was on the other foot, I guarantee that Forest Park would accept an incoming transfer who is a  star player from another school in a heartbeat.  Such hypocrisy.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Curt ruled ineligable by IHSAA today. 🤦‍♂️

There are times I just have to shake my head.  Like the time CHSAA (Colorado High School Athletic Association),  held De'Ron Davis out of one game for dunking in a pre-game warm up !

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

There are times I just have to shake my head.  Like the time CHSAA (Colorado High School Athletic Association),  held De'Ron Davis out of one game for dunking in a pre-game warm up !

Most folks knew this was coming, but this was a case of an emotional decision by parents standing in the way of logic and common sense

Some questions I have (I know the answers, but I'm proving a point)

• If the player transferring for athletic reasons was the 7th ranked player on the boy's golf team, would Forest Park be fighting it?
  • If the Forest Park coach, Athletic Director, Principal, Superintendent, etc. decide to explore what they perceive is a better opportunity, are they going to remember what they did to Curt Hopf and not take that opportunity?
  • And, the biggie, as I stated above.  If Forest Part was getting a very good player that was transferring INTO the program for athletic reasons, would we expect them to turn the player away?

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• If the player transferring for athletic reasons was the 7th ranked player on the boy's golf team, would Forest Park be fighting it?
  • If the Forest Park coach, Athletic Director, Principal, Superintendent, etc. decide to explore what they perceive is a better opportunity, are they going to remember what they did to Curt Hopf and not take that opportunity?
  • And, the biggie, as I stated above.  If Forest Part was getting a very good player that was transferring INTO the program for athletic reasons, would we expect them to turn the player away?

You are spot on.  This is all BS on Forest Park's end.

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We went through this with my daughter, it sucks! You are 100% correct

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Small town politics at their finest 

And its my understanding that it was move or not play for Curt.  Now, im not sure why he wouldnt have gone to Jasper or Southridge...or even NE Dubois since they are all in the same county and it wouldnt have mattered.  I actually woulda thought Jasper made a lot of sense going to semi-state last year and having most of their team back.  He could have played against bigger competition and still had a decent shot at a deep run in the tourney.

And suggesting Jasper to be a good idea for anything makes me cry a little inside.

If the kid is enrolled in school I don’t know what the problem is. It might be disappointing for the school he left but as a proponent of school choice I support the right of the parent to choose the best path for their child. This is America land of the free the last time I checked. Maybe I’m missing something but this seems wrong to try to punish the kid.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Forest Park needs to remember why they exist.  I can assure you it is not for basketball.

35 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Forest Park needs to remember why they exist.  I can assure you it is not for basketball.

I don’t know much about Forest Park. I know they have a great marching band if that is what you are implying. However I do remember them having some good basketball in the early 2000s. I mean I feel for them to lose their best player. Maybe they feel someone kind of tampered with the kid and his family but let’s be real. This stuff happens all the time at small and big schools alike. Parent wants their kid to get more exposure and to play for better staff. I’m sure someone will shed some more light on this as it’s a small town/school etc. 

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t know much about Forest Park. I know they have a great marching band if that is what you are implying. However I do remember them having some good basketball in the early 2000s. I mean I feel for them to lose their best player. Maybe they feel someone kind of tampered with the kid and his family but let’s be real. This stuff happens all the time at small and big schools alike. Parent wants their kid to get more exposure and to play for better staff. I’m sure someone will shed some more light on this as it’s a small town/school etc. 

Forrest Park beat my old high school ( Knightstown) in the semi state in 2005 or 2006

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Forrest Park beat my old high school ( Knightstown) in the semi state in 2005 or 2006

I may live in Colorado. However, I am passionate about Indiana prep basketball. And continue to follow.  I believe it was around 2010 or 2011, (memory, memory don't fail me now) when Forrest Park went undefeated for the season. Only to lose to Park Tudor in the Semi State. 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I may live in Colorado. However, I am passionate about Indiana prep basketball. And continue to follow.  I believe it was around 2010 or 2011, (memory, memory don't fail me now) when Forrest Park went undefeated for the season. Only to lose to Park Tudor in the Semi State. 

They’ve had some pretty good basketball. Which is weird the family wanted to leave. There is a story I’m sure.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, btownqb said:

No inside info... but I wouldn't sign off. (Before knowing any details). 

I don't get this.  

• A regular student can transfer
  • Caches, Athletic Directors, Principals, etc. can transfer
  • Golfers, Tennis Players, Cross Country Runners, Gymnasts, and High Jumpers are safe to transfer without the school blocking it
  • End of bench players in the exact same sport Curt Hopf plays would not be blocked from transferring under the exact same circumstances.

Curt Hopf is being singled out because he is good, and the sport he plays is high profile.  

That's unfair.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't get this.  

• Golfers, Tennis Players, Cross Country Runners, Gymnasts, and High Jumpers are safe to transfer without the school blocking it
  • End of bench players in the exact same sport Curt Hopf plays would not be blocked from transferring under the exact same circumstances.

Curt Hopf is being singled out because he is good, and the sport he plays is high profile.  

That's unfair.

I’ve seen it happen in football with a great friend growing up ..and everyone was sad to lose him but absolutely understood and wished him the best as he wouldn’t get scouts to see him playing on our team. Got himself a scholarship by leaving..nobody made a stink. Don’t get this.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’ve seen it happen in football with a great friend growing up ..and everyone was sad to lose him but absolutely understood and wished him the best as he wouldn’t get scouts to see him playing on our team. Got himself a scholarship by leaving..nobody made a stink. Don’t get this.

With the Hopf situation, there seems to be a lot of bad blood.  But, even then, that should not matter.  If the kid would be unhappy playing at Forest Park, what and who does it benefit in trying to force him to stay there.

Similar to your football story, Rondale Moore comes immediately to mind.  Uber talented athlete at New Albany, a school whose athletic program has recently put players into the NBA and MLB.  The problem is, that in Rondale's sport, football, New Albany generally sucks.  So, what did Rondale do.  He transferred to Louisville Trinity, a school only about 10 miles away, but more importantly one of the elite high school football programs in the entire company.   Now, he's a pre-season all-american and almost a shoe-in to be on a NFL roster when he becomes eligible. That would never have been there if he would have stayed at New Albany. 

What right does a school administrator have to impact a young man's future by refusing to sign off on a transfer?

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't get this.  

That's unfair.

We dont sign off on any transfers. Regardless of skill level and any sport. 

Archived