Curt Hopf

3Ballin

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We dont sign off on any transfers. Regardless of skill level and any sport. 

If the kid "transfers" but stays in your school district? Totally understand.

If the family physically moves to a new school district, the former school should have zero say. A high school administrator, some of whom are genuinely the nicest people you'll meet and some of whom are egomaniacs, should not have that kind of power.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If the kid "transfers" but stays in your school district? Totally understand.

If the family physically moves to a new school district, the former school should have zero say. A high school administrator, some of whom are genuinely the nicest people you'll meet and some of whom are egomaniacs, should not have that kind of power.

Meh.. in your opinion. 

There are different opinions on everything. I deal with this sort of thing quite regularly. If he moves.. he is good regardless, they can't restrict him. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Meh.. in your opinion. 

There are different opinions on everything. I deal with this sort of thing quite regularly. If he moves.. he is good regardless, they can't restrict him. 

Hopf's family supposedly did buy a house in the Barr-Reeve district.

I don’t get it. This stuff happens all the time and I’ve never heard anyone pull this stuff. Complain...sure...but stop him from playing..never. We got kids from the same district going to another school and nothing is done about it. This is suppose to be America home of the free and yet school choice for this kid is a problem.  Heck I’ve even heard of schools (I don’t mention) bring families over from Africa and setting up their parents with jobs just to have the whole family of kids play sports. Can’t believe this is an issue. Hope he wins his appeal.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t get it. This stuff happens all the time and I’ve never heard anyone pull this stuff. Complain...sure...but stop him from playing..never. We got kids from the same district going to another school and nothing is done about it. This is suppose to be America home of the free and yet school choice for this kid is a problem.  Heck I’ve even heard of schools (I don’t mention) bring families over from Africa and setting up their parents with jobs just to have the whole family of kids play sports. Can’t believe this is an issue. Hope he wins his appeal.

The school district that I live in a few years ago hired a terrific basketball coach that had retired several years before. Great coach but an even better person and role model.  I would have been honored to have my son play for him. The school that he previously coached at was w principal for and an assistant superintendent before becoming the President of a private school has blocked many transfers that have come to play for this coach. Most of the kids dads played for this coach and wanted their son to get the same experience.  I believe 6 transfers total and none of them received their transfer granted by the previous school. Let's just say the JV was pretty stacked last year 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The school district that I live in a few years ago hired a terrific basketball coach that had retired several years before. Great coach but an even better person and role model.  I would have been honored to have my son play for him. The school that he previously coached at was w principal for and an assistant superintendent before becoming the President of a private school has blocked many transfers that have come to play for this coach. Most of the kids dads played for this coach and wanted their son to get the same experience.  I believe 6 transfers total and none of them received their transfer granted by the previous school. Let's just say the JV was pretty stacked last year 

Never knew this was a problem. Guess I’ve been out of the HS loop too long. I think some of these athletic directors etc think too highly of themselves...they aren’t the GM of the LA Lakers. This isn’t the nba...these are kids. Let them enjoy themselves .

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We also have kids transferring left and right every time there is a minor problem it works both ways. 

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have heard players having to sit out a year when they transferred for athletic purposes only.  I think the youngest Gordon ad to sit out a year when he transferred to cathedral.

Was waiting for new tires earlier today and a couple of locals were talking about the Hopf transfer...nothing of real interest except hearing that Mama Hopf is a lunatic.  Apparently been thrown out of games due to her conduct.  All hearsay of course but could make for an interesting year at BR.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hopf's family supposedly did buy a house in the Barr-Reeve district.

If I was Forest Park I would say good bye! Don’t let the door hit you in the butt! Sounds like they don’t want to be at Forest Park! So why would they want him. I don’t know the kid,but have been hearing for some time that the mom and dad or nightmares. 

1 minute ago, Bob said:

If I was Forest Park I would say good bye! Don’t let the door hit you in the butt! Sounds like they don’t want to be at Forest Park! So why would they want him. I don’t know the kid,but have been hearing for some time that the mom and dad or nightmares. 

Funny those teams around 2005 and 2006 at Forrest Park had two Hopf's on there and they did just fine.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Funny those teams around 2005 and 2006 at Forrest Park had two Hopf's on there and they did just fine.

I noticed that. Apparently the family has some talent.

Of course it runs both ways etc but it’s high school sports. If the family is willing to move to take their kid to a better perceived opportunity then why stop them? With AAU as the primary recruiting grounds I’m surprised they even deem it necessary but I suppose they have issues with how the program is being run...which should be more reason to let them leave if they are causing a problem. Smells like hurt feelings and a bit spiteful on Forest Parks side. I can tell you this. If you have a talented kid and you want to keep your options open in the future I would be getting them out of that school before they are a freshman...will only hurt the program moving forward.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have heard players having to sit out a year when they transferred for athletic purposes only.  I think the youngest Gordon ad to sit out a year when he transferred to cathedral.

They don’t have to actually sit out a year.  But they can’t play varsity for a full calendar year from the time of transfer.  

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I noticed that. Apparently the family has some talent.

Of course it runs both ways etc but it’s high school sports. If the family is willing to move to take their kid to a better perceived opportunity then why stop them? With AAU as the primary recruiting grounds I’m surprised they even deem it necessary but I suppose they have issues with how the program is being run...which should be more reason to let them leave if they are causing a problem. Smells like hurt feelings and a bit spiteful on Forest Parks side. I can tell you this. If you have a talented kid and you want to keep your options open in the future I would be getting them out of that school before they are a freshman...will only hurt the program moving forward.

I know my small school has had kids move in and play sports  right away the last couple of years without having to sit out.  Bryant McIntosh left New Castle to go to Greensburg pretty much for basketball reasons and did not have to sit out.

The problem is the open enrollment.   Kids are constantly changing schools,  and in some cases the ADs hands are tied.  I know of an instance an AD didn't challenge the transfer,  so the kid would be eligible immediately and lord Bobby Cox almighty made him change it.

It's just like any NCAA rule that seems nuts.  It's there because a few pushed the envelope too far.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know my small school has had kids move in and play sports  right away the last couple of years without having to sit out.  Bryant McIntosh left New Castle to go to Greensburg pretty much for basketball reasons and did not have to sit out.

I don't know all of the particulars on the McIntosh case, but assuming you are correct, that is a perfect example of why this is a bad rule to begin with.  It's not consistently enforced, often time the only barrier is the current school signing off on it.  So, as is apparently the case in this situation, when there is bad blood, it comes across as more vindictive than anything else.  

And, there is no one who will ever convince me that if Hopf was transferring INTO Forest Park from Barr-Reeve under the exact same circumstances, the coaches and administrators at Forest Park would be so excited they would be unable to hide the huge woody in their pants.  That's hypocrisy, and something I have little tolerance for.

I know of one Mid Southern conference school that has recently allowed two kids from the same family to transfer out to a Hoosier Hills conference member.  The daughter of my buddy was typically the #1 distance runner for track and xc.  She moved to a school that did make state, some of you can connect the dots, where she was the 5th runner on that team.  

The son, that is a nationally ranked wrestler for his age and weight was granted transfer out of the Mid Southern to the same Hoosier Hills school.  

No names please is you know who I'm talking about.  

I will say that is was Charlestown that granted the waiver and the AD has been nothing but class to my buddy.  

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know of one Mid Southern conference school that has recently allowed two kids from the same family to transfer out to a Hoosier Hills conference member.  The daughter of my buddy was typically the #1 distance runner for track and xc.  She moved to a school that did make state, some of you can connect the dots, where she was the 5th runner on that team.  

The son, that is a nationally ranked wrestler for his age and weight was granted transfer out of the Mid Southern to the same Hoosier Hills school.  

No names please is you know who I'm talking about.  

I will say that is was Charlestown that granted the waiver and the AD has been nothing but class to my buddy.  

That’s the thing. Do what’s best for the KID! That’s suppose to be the job of educators and schools. You will be rewarded for being a classy AD. You will have respect. Too many I think get off on the power trip of it all or let differences taint their judgement. I do agree that the inconsistency in how it’s enforced makes it look bad. Maybe the rules need ironed out more I don’t know but it seems leaving it up to the schools to sign off will cause inconsistency and cases of abuse.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Was waiting for new tires earlier today and a couple of locals were talking about the Hopf transfer...nothing of real interest except hearing that Mama Hopf is a lunatic.  Apparently been thrown out of games due to her conduct.  All hearsay of course but could make for an interesting year at BR.

Instantly popped in my head... I know it’s been run out there before but I gotta play the hits here

4DC3EE7B-1A80-4C7B-96C3-851969288249.jpeg

Archived