Curt Hopf

3Ballin

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Hopf didn't transfer in February and I was told he'd be eligible by sectional.

I wasn’t commenting on him specifically.  More of a general statement.  I shouldn’t have said time of transfer.  I believe it is actually a calendar year from the time of the last game.  This is why the baseball player coming to IU only played varsity during the tournament this past year.  His old team lost in the sectional so he was eligible after the sectional.  I think.

On a related note, I work at a large suburban high school in the Indy area.  You guys are only scratching the surface on this.  This issue happens in every sport and most of the time, in my experience, it isn’t the star athlete.

6 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

He has an older brother that was on those teams and went on to play at UE.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I meant the Hopfs that played back then were cousins to each other I believe.  I wasn't sure of the relationship of either one to Curt.  Sounds like his brother is almost old enough to be his dad.

20 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The school district that I live in a few years ago hired a terrific basketball coach that had retired several years before. Great coach but an even better person and role model.  I would have been honored to have my son play for him. The school that he previously coached at was w principal for and an assistant superintendent before becoming the President of a private school has blocked many transfers that have come to play for this coach. Most of the kids dads played for this coach and wanted their son to get the same experience.  I believe 6 transfers total and none of them received their transfer granted by the previous school. Let's just say the JV was pretty stacked last year 

what is the school and the coach's name?  I want to follow that team this year.  They should be loaded.

2 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I wasn’t commenting on him specifically.  More of a general statement.  I shouldn’t have said time of transfer.  I believe it is actually a calendar year from the time of the last game.  This is why the baseball player coming to IU only played varsity during the tournament this past year.  His old team lost in the sectional so he was eligible after the sectional.  I think.

On a related note, I work at a large suburban high school in the Indy area.  You guys are only scratching the surface on this.  This issue happens in every sport and most of the time, in my experience, it isn’t the star athlete.

Are you saying that transfers happen more often than we think, or that transfers are blocked more often than we think?  Are there really schools out there blocking the 7th ranked player on a girl's golf team from transferring?

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Are you saying that transfers happen more often than we think, or that transfers are blocked more often than we think?  Are there really schools out there blocking the 7th ranked player on a girl's golf team from transferring?

Blocked more often than you think.  I’ve seen it happen w young jv players who are borderline varsity players.  I’ve seen it happen w football players who aren’t in the top 5-7 of their team.  If the penalty is to not play varsity for a year and the 7th golfer is just a jv kid anyway then whether or not a school signs off is irrelevant because they are a jv player anyway.  

• 2 months later...

Hopf was denied his appeal. 

I agree with the denial. He will however be able to play in any Barr Reeve game after March 1st 2020. Basically.. he can play from the sectional championship and beyond. 

IU has a current baseball player(Reese Sharp) go through this exact scenario this past season. He was eligible in the regional and dominated the regional, semi state, and state for University. 

I understand some of the reasons surrounding some of this stuff but I mean this is a kids HS sports career. You better have a really good reason to stop a kids once in a lifetime opportunity to play. In a free country where people have the right to move and put their kid in the best school for their child to deny him his opportunity seems very unamerican imo. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As long as coaches, athletic directors, and school administrators can move from school to school without penalty, you will never convince me it is okay to screw a kid out of a season of his high school career.  It's just wrong.  

It was probably aggravated by his mom publicly giving the IHSAA the finger

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I’m sure that is uncalled for but that still doesn’t make the decision to punish a kid whether they moved for academic, work, or athletic reasons right in many parents minds. We should have the ultimate school choice. I ask this. Could they play the kid anyways and play all the games up until he is eligible when the sectionals come around and just take a forfeit or would the ISHAA continue to pull a d!ck move and punish them further?? They could be the only team to have no wins in the regular season to win a state championship lol.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m sure that is uncalled for but that still doesn’t make the decision to punish a kid whether they moved for academic, work, or athletic reasons right in many parents minds. We should have the ultimate school choice. I ask this. Could they play the kid anyways and play all the games up until he is eligible when the sectionals come around and just take a forfeit or would the ISHAA continue to pull a d!ck move and punish them further?? They could be the only team to have no wins in the regular season to win a state championship lol.

I bet he's guna be the best JV player in the state this year. :coffee:

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

This.

I get everyone saying that a kid shouldn't be punished and have opportunities taken. However, point the finger at the IHSAA all you want, but the parents knew full well that there was a high probability that this would happen. Everyone did. The parents decided to do this anyway. 

This all boils down to his parents making a knee jerk, emotional decision that could cost their son. It's their job to weigh the benefits versus risks. 

And while I agree that it's not necessarily fair that coaches and others can move around freely unlike players, in this case, the parents put their child in this position.

1 hour ago, ephul said:

This.

I get everyone saying that a kid shouldn't be punished and have opportunities taken. However, point the finger at the IHSAA all you want, but the parents knew full well that there was a high probability that this would happen. Everyone did. The parents decided to do this anyway. 

This all boils down to his parents making a knee jerk, emotional decision that could cost their son. It's their job to weigh the benefits versus risks. 

And while I agree that it's not necessarily fair that coaches and others can move around freely unlike players, in this case, the parents put their child in this position.

To me it does not matter if mom gave the IHSAA the finger or bowed at their feet in reverence while asking for mercy.

It's an utterly stupid, one-sided rule that is unfair to one person.  The player.  I understand having rules the prevent coaches or schools recruiting players.  But, as a parent, I should have the right to send my child to the local public school, a private school of my choosing, the public school in the next town, or a high school in Nome, Freaking, Alaska. 

And, if kids at those schools have the opportunity to play sports, my child should as well.  Allowing free movement to coaches, but not athletes (no contract or even scholarship in high school) is just flat wrong.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

To me it does not matter if mom gave the IHSAA the finger or bowed at their feet in reverence while asking for mercy.

It's an utterly stupid, one-sided rule that is unfair to one person.  The player.  I understand having rules the prevent coaches or schools recruiting players.  But, as a parent, I should have the right to send my child to the local public school, a private school of my choosing, the public school in the next town, or a high school in Nome, Freaking, Alaska. 

And, if kids at those schools have the opportunity to play sports, my child should as well.  Allowing free movement to coaches, but not athletes (no contract or even scholarship in high school) is just flat wrong.

Agreed. You make a decision because you have your child's best interest at heart...and you would like to believe that the school's and ISHAA would put the child first too...but no...they want to hold onto power and authority and dictate to parents and kids where they have to go to school and if they can play these sports. The system is suppose to be about what's best for the children and their opportunities for growth and a future but it really says something about coaches, teachers, and administrative that put their interests over the child. So in this case...what was the reason why denying Curt the chance to play the best interest for him and the other kids playing.

Look I may not have all the info...and if it is the other school and coaches were actively recruiting the kid and his parents to bring their kid there to beat their competition or trying to tip the balance by offering the child special treatment etc at the new school to coerce them to come and there was some malicious intent to steal away the kid and give benefits to the parents etc that is one thing. If the parents just said hey...that school has a good program...good coach...and good community and we want to move and put our kid there because it's in his best interest than what is this really about...because that should be the goal of every parent and shouldn't be penalized even if they were jerks about the move because people gave them a hard time.

If the kid had a bona fide move to another school's district, to me it's fair to let him play at the new school.  That's assuming he moved there with a guardian and literally wakes up every morning there and goes to school.  

Greg Oden was actually from Terre Haute and Lawrence North recruited him there.  I don't recall if Lawrence North found his mom a job or she found it herself.  Think about what Terre Haute South lost there.  That was around the time they had Armon Bassett (the exact overlap is fuzzy)  but I never heard anyone call foul then.

The kid Brown who got hyped on the recruiting forum also moved to play in his new town.  I thought somebody said he was from Avon or Brownsburg or something like that.

Kids also move nationwide to get a mailing address in a particular school district for academic reasons (high test scores, blue ribbon status etc).  

My bottom line, assuming it's not a sham and the kid truly moved, then he should be able to play.  If it's a sham (not a real move) then my sympathy dissolves.

48 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If the kid had a bona fide move to another school's district, to me it's fair to let him play at the new school.  That's assuming he moved there with a guardian and literally wakes up every morning there and goes to school.  

Greg Oden was actually from Terre Haute and Lawrence North recruited him there.  I don't recall if Lawrence North found his mom a job or she found it herself.  Think about what Terre Haute South lost there.  That was around the time they had Armon Bassett (the exact overlap is fuzzy)  but I never heard anyone call foul then.

The kid Brown who got hyped on the recruiting forum also moved to play in his new town.  I thought somebody said he was from Avon or Brownsburg or something like that.

Kids also move nationwide to get a mailing address in a particular school district for academic reasons (high test scores, blue ribbon status etc).  

My bottom line, assuming it's not a sham and the kid truly moved, then he should be able to play.  If it's a sham (not a real move) then my sympathy dissolves.

A certain school along I74 halfway between Indy and Cincy won a couple state championships with only 1 starter actually from that county. Oops did I say that 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No I think you are right. I lived in Terre Haute just around that time. I'm pretty sure South played Oden in the Semi-state and Bassett was on that team. I don't know all the background in how Oden got to Lawrence North but they were in school around the same time if not a grade or so different.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

And again. Not arguing that. Agree with that. But, That's not currently the rule. So transferring and expecting a favorable ruling is a gamble, and the decision falls on the parents.

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

And again. Not arguing that. Agree with that. But, That's not currently the rule. So transferring and expecting a favorable ruling is a gamble, and the decision falls on the parents.

Well, I was kind of hoping you did want to argue that.  The wife is out of town this weekend and I don't have anyone to argue with.  

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I was kind of hoping you did want to argue that.  The wife is out of town this weekend and I don't have anyone to argue with.  

You can argue with a wife all you want, but there is one thing that's a truism.  Wives are undefeated.  Some times they are even in the right (oops was that out loud?).

Archived