Curt Hopf

3Ballin

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Well that would kind of ruin the "I moved for a job" argument, which I was told they were trying to make.

I never saw that argued anywhere in the pleadings they literally stuck entirely to the bullying argument and that the move wasn’t athletically motivated as they would have stayed put or gone to a 3 or 4A school if athletics and exposure were the motivating factor 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

Pure speculation but will he really be that welcomed at Barr-Reeve next fall and surely the family (momma) has burned all the bridges at Forest Park.

That’s been my Curiosity ,..they already had a state championship caliber team and season set up ...they didn’t NEED him and I think it’s telling they didn’t request even limited eligibility ....I think they are apprehensive about the look AND any family baggage that comes with it ... as you said pure speculation but that’s also what I gathered from barr reeves legal counsel not making ANY argument in favor of him being ruled eligible 

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I never saw that argued anywhere in the pleadings they literally stuck entirely to the bullying argument and that the move wasn’t athletically motivated as they would have stayed put or gone to a 3 or 4A school if athletics and exposure were the motivating factor 

He plays on IE 1. He is getting the exposure. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He plays on IE 1. He is getting the exposure. 

Yep sure does ...with my favorite recruit to post about no less ! ....and I would also argue barr Reeve is worth as much exposure as anyone in the south that isn’t reitz or Bloomington south ....they are tough......I wasn’t arguing lack or exposure though I’m simply saying that’s what his attorneys argued in their brief and pleadings 

21 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Yep sure does ...with my favorite recruit to post about no less ! ....and I would also argue barr Reeve is worth as much exposure as anyone in the south that isn’t reitz or Bloomington south ....they are tough......I wasn’t arguing lack or exposure though I’m simply saying that’s what his attorneys argued in their brief and pleadings 

I know what you're saying. 

But Jeff, NA, and Floyd would all trump Barr Reeve.. you're correct though, BR is way up there. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know what you're saying. 

But Jeff, NA, and Floyd would all trump Barr Reeve.. you're correct though, BR is way up there. 

Jeff new Albany I agree totally as I hear about them north and they are massive ....don’t hear much or Floyd so I’ll take your word ...I also think his parents banked on the easy path to a state title with Blackhawk being moved up to 2A

I am not that up on all the in and outs of this story. I don’t want to be. You only have one chance to play high school sports. It’s a very small window for a parent to ruin it for even one year is an absolute shame! How many college’s have gave up on this kid and walked away because of this parent. 
I can see this boy having some Hugh resentment years later when he becomes a man and can stand up to this parent. After awhile as a parent wouldn’t you think you’ve embarrassed your son and family enough! 
I would have though he should have stayed where he was played ball enjoyed his time,  and looked for a travel team that would let him play some point guard if that is want he wanted to do. 
lets do this kid a favor an take this thing down!!! 

51 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am not that up on all the in and outs of this story. I don’t want to be. You only have one chance to play high school sports. It’s a very small window for a parent to ruin it for even one year is an absolute shame! How many college’s have gave up on this kid and walked away because of this parent. 
I can see this boy having some Hugh resentment years later when he becomes a man and can stand up to this parent. After awhile as a parent wouldn’t you think you’ve embarrassed your son and family enough! 
I would have though he should have stayed where he was played ball enjoyed his time,  and looked for a travel team that would let him play some point guard if that is want he wanted to do. 
lets do this kid a favor an take this thing down!!! 

Definitely a shame for the reasons you mentioned but it’s also compelling because of the dramatic impact the legal  process could have on future transfers especially in cases where the transfer may have athletic motivations 

As of this morning the case management system still shows no entry newer than the Courts direction for the parties to submit proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law by yesterday.  That either means they were submitted and the system hasn’t been updated or that the parties decline to submit any in which case the Court could render a decision at anytime.  Lots of interesting plot lines from this process. 

Having seen them play last night ...if I was barr Reeve coach ir athletic director I would not play hopf in varsity competition this year even IF he got an injunction.  As currently comprised they can win the state title without him ...I would not jeopardize my season playing someone who was granted injunctive relief when there is realistic possibility the end result of the litigation is a determination by a court that he was not eligible thus resulting in a forfeited title and season you could have won without him.  O’Neil knepp and graber are about as tough as you’ll find and they will have Knepp graber and hopf next year They are going to have a great couple years 

On 12/31/2019 at 12:27 AM, mrflynn03 said:

My only registered complaint in this situation...is why in the hell is the court system involved in amatuer sports let alone at the high school level?  Adults need to quit looking for a payday and let their kids have fun. (That is my PG rant).

I’m with you as far as the parents are concerned.  The suit is based on request for injunctive relief ...no request for monetary damages.  The IHSAA is an administrative body and they have control over eligibility for member schools.  If someone is ruled ineligible they may appeal the decision and have an evidentiary hearing with an IHSAA administrative review.  If the ineligible student is determined through that process the be ineligible then they may appeal to a review board with the department of education which is a seven member panel that may overturn the decision of the Ihsaa review.  In the event that the ineligible student does not agree with that decision they may seek judicial review from a Court with jurisdiction.  Judicial Orders, however, should only intrude on the administrative process if 1. The administrative procedures were not followed in accordance with the guidelines established by the administration or 2. If the decision reached by the administration is unconscionable, arbitrary, or capricious. If a moving party can demonstrate they have a substantial likelihood of success they can receive an injunction or temporary Order putting the administrative decision on hold until a formal hearing can be held and a decision reached.  This isn’t just for the IHSAA ...judicial review is available for any administrative proceeding.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Ihsaa requested a 30 day enlargement of time to answer complaint for injunctive relief and the Court granted the extension ...will be a minimum of 30 days now before it’s even possible to render a decision on temporary relief 

That'a just about the death knell for that petition...puts the earliest hearing time at the end of January and effectively runs out the clock on this request.  I don't see the BR coach inserting Hopf into the lineup in February right in front of sectionals, but I've been wrong before.  If I were the coach, I'd have a heart to heart with mommy and ask her kindly to drop it and let Clint start preparing for next season's run.

Mommy is the worst thing that could have happened to this young man's basketball aspirations.  Someone told me the other day that both IU and Purdue are interested.  I told them that would be news to me, but who knows.  Has anyone heard of any high major interest in this kid with his helicopter mom baggage?

55 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That'a just about the death knell for that petition...puts the earliest hearing time at the end of January and effectively runs out the clock on this request.  I don't see the BR coach inserting Hopf into the lineup in February right in front of sectionals, but I've been wrong before.  If I were the coach, I'd have a heart to heart with mommy and ask her kindly to drop it and let Clint start preparing for next season's run.

Mommy is the worst thing that could have happened to this young man's basketball aspirations.  Someone told me the other day that both IU and Purdue are interested.  I told them that would be news to me, but who knows.  Has anyone heard of any high major interest in this kid with his helicopter mom baggage?

I think he’d be crazy to do so also especially when it could jeopardize an Already state championship caliber season.  I’m getting the exact same on my end ...we had a couple fans who traveled to a lot of the 2021 IE platinum games to watch Luke and , in turn , they saw a lot of hopf.  All three of them said his parents seemed “ ok” ( I’m assuming because they have to behave there to risk not losing a spot and exposure).  I brought up the fact that missing a junior season would hurt and all three of them said “ oh he’s got plenty of attention from D1 schools” and I said “ oh ? Does he have any offers ?” And they all kinda stumbled around and just said IU and Purdue are really interested.  From what little amount I was able to see Kaufman is significantly better at near the same size for what it’s worth.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Luke Brown has a better chance at an IU offer than Hopf does unless he really explodes his senior season.  Good enough for a free education, but a high major offer would surprise me...even more so after this year's debacle.

Agreed ...if you’re fighting for a spot you don’t need an anchor like parental baggage that makes it easy for a coaching staff to cross you off the list ...I think Luke could end up with big ten offers especially if he adds size this summer but he’ll have to be ok with not playing much till he’s an upperclassman and possibly redshirting 

• 6 months later...
38 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Being off a year probably didnt help his cause

Definitely doesn't help. I just don't think he has the skill set for High D1.

The drama that unfolded with the Forest Park exit definitely turns schools/recruiters off as well.

30 minutes ago, ephul said:

Definitely doesn't help. I just don't think he has the skill set for High D1.

The drama that unfolded with the Forest Park exit definitely turns schools/recruiters off as well.

Yeah.  If some of the things I heard about his transfer are true, I would shy away if I was a college coach.  Not things about Curt personally, but about how those around him handled the situation.  

Archived