INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

Great win for the team. Love everyone’s contributions. The bench the last two games have been great. Durr looked so much better, and Galloway and Geronimo are doing what they are good at, and what we need them to to win. And I know he didn’t do much during, but watching TJD on the bench as I rewatched the game was great. You could tell he loves his teammates.  

Also just watched the post games. Lots of respect for painter for his analysis of questions after the game. Great coach. 

I love how Woodson and his players feel about eachother. That’s gotta have any potential recruit/parent considering iu to feel good about things. 

• Like 1

I don't get all the "if _______doesn't happen, IU gets beat by a bunch" talk.  Consider:

If Trayce is anywhere close to his average...

If Parker Steward hits anything...

If Miller Kopp scores at all...

If Race Thompson doesn't score a basket for Turdue...

If IU hits free throws at a reasonable clip...

If Trey Galloway spends a lot more time defending Ivey...

...IU wins by 30.

Lots of positive and negative factors play into every win and loss.  It's silly to pretend that IU was lucky to win due to a single positive outlier.  Just like there were things that could have gone worse costing IU the game, there were plenty of things that could have gone a lot better greatly increasing IU's margin of victory.  Every game is that way.  There was no luck involved here...IU got some breaks and so did Turdue.  In the end, IU finally played like they wanted to beat Turdue and did.  That's all that matters.  Next game will have a whole host of positive and negative factors as well.  It's what happens when basketball is played. 

This was a well-deserved win.  Period. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't get all the "if _______doesn't happen, IU gets beat by a bunch" talk.  Consider:

If Trayce is anywhere close to his average...

If Parker Steward hits anything...

If Miller Kopp scores at all...

If Race Thompson doesn't score a basket for Turdue...

If IU hits free throws at a reasonable clip...

If Trey Galloway spends a lot more time defending Ivey...

...IU wins by 30.

Lots of positive and negative factors play into every win and loss.  It's silly to pretend that IU was lucky to win due to a single positive outlier.  Just like there were things that could have gone worse costing IU the game, there were plenty of things that could have gone a lot better greatly increasing IU's margin of victory.  Every game is that way.  There was no luck involved here...IU got some breaks and so did Turdue.  In the end, IU finally played like they wanted to beat Turdue and did.  That's all that matters.  Next game will have a whole host of positive and negative factors as well.  It's what happens when basketball is played. 

This was a well-deserved win.  Period. 

It wasn't luck, I have said it a few times, when this team is on, their ceiling is as high as just about any team in the country.  We have just had more mental lapses so our floor is a little lower than those top teams as well.  This is a pretty darn good team.

One other point, you watch Woodson and you can see why the guys seem to like him so much.  Goes out and tells Rob P. before the game that if no one else is in his corner, his coach is.  Goes to him twice for the shot to win the game.  That kind of confidence in your guys can be infectious.  When Woodson got the job, the NBA guys he coached mostly came out of the woodwork to say how cool he was.  Kids are going to want to play for that guy and parents are going to want him guiding their kids.  You add the Indiana ties and he is just a really good person to have at the top of this program in this moment.

The biggest mistake the AD of IU has made in my opinion was not doing this hire years ago.

Last night was fun.  I let the kids stay up late to watch the game.  They were laughing and having a good time about the court being stormed.  I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a game that much.  It feels like we are turning a corner.  I don't have National Title visions or anything, but the last 5 years are going to get further in the rearview.  I believe kids are going to want to be a part of this.

• Like 8

Thrilled for Rob Phinisee.  He absolutely deserved a game and moment like this.  Highlights from the game for me:

1.  Trey Galloway getting under Ivey’s skin (reminded me of Sheehey, Neil Reid, Recker)

2.  The effort, 24 min, Big Mike gave in allowing IU to stay in the hunt with TJD on the bench

3.  The confidence and ball care Rob and X had all game

4.  Only 3 turnovers

5.  AND, the effing day count by Purdue fans since the last time IU beat Purdue getting a swift kick to the nuts

6.  LAST NIGHT IS WHY I LOVE IUBB

• Like 9

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

His years at IU have not produced the greatest teams in program history, but if he doesn't find his way into the Top 10 of every IU fan's 'Favorite IU Players' of all time, I would be surprised.  If the program returns to elite status in the next 5-7 years, he will have had a lot to do with it because of the way he represented the candy stripes.

That is worrisome.  We made it through the Purdue game with him mostly on the bench, but I don't think that is something we want to replicate very often.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is worrisome.  We made it through the Purdue game with him mostly on the bench, but I don't think that is something we want to replicate very often.

The Boilers have to be scratching their collective heads on that one.  Hold TJD down and still get beat?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

If Purdue played perimeter defense like you guys did I would be thrilled.

You can see a huge difference between Archie defense and tonight 

We play the pick n roll better yesterday than you guys. Honestly…Williams just killed you guys…every time he came in we made a run. He never got his head into the game. You also will never miss that many free throws ever again either. With TJD out the whole game we played a totally different game…and perhaps you guys didn’t plan for that….it looked like you guys wanted to sag back into the lane and play passing lanes and give Rob and Xavier shots…just so happened they went down. Painter ran good sets out of time outs. Got you guys like 10 pts and the difference with TJD on that last drive by Ivy and the rest of the game was he couldn’t finish over him and effected his drive and shot. If we had Durr there on that play Ivy gets to the basket.

Still took an unlikely 3 from Rob to win it for us…let’s just agree to play another thriller W or L in Mackey because that was a good game either way!

• Like 3

So much to like about this win, from Rob's performance to the small number of turnovers to the team learning to win without TJD, the bench performance, just an all around great job. I think this is what we've been salivating for since the first half of the Wisconsin game, and it's awesome to see the team put it all together against our biggest rival and a major thorn in our side.

I'll admit, I was a little disappointed with the CMW hire (I was all in on the Stevens train), but I don't think we could ask for a better job to this point. 

• Like 2

Just now, rico said:

The Boilers have to be scratching their collective heads on that one.  Hold TJD down and still get beat?

Not just TJD, but if we'd have known that between TJD, Stewart, and Kopp we'd get 6 points on 1 of 6 shooting, most of us would think we'd have gotten buried by 30...

I'm as guilty as anyone on second guessing our coach, but he's proven to be not only a master psychologist, but pretty good at game planning and motivating these young men...

I think I'll start giving him the benefit of the doubt ;) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, rico said:

How many times has it felt that way for us?  Like the Iowa game.  We basically stop their #1 player and his nobody brother comes out of nowhere and beats us.

I guarantee the Purdue scouting report last night was not about stopping Rob and X.  They may have said one is a difficult defender and the other you have to stop the drive, but you probably had to go several slots down the notes before you got to them.  Trayce, Race, making sure Kopp and Stewart have to put it on floor....

It was nice to be in a position where the other team is asking where the heck that guy came from for once.

• Like 2