INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

7 hours ago, Bustout said:

Aside from Iowa, XJ has matured last ten games or so.  I’m not sure if Coach is emphasizing more half court sets - so as not to rush and turn it over in transition, but something is starting to click.  

also - XJ wants to be an alpha and leader on this team.  Not as talented as other previous leaders (ie - Yogi), but he wants to carry this team on his back.  Love his attitude.   

We basically only ran a high ball screen last night. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not just TJD, but if we'd have known that between TJD, Stewart, and Kopp we'd get 6 points on 1 of 6 shooting, most of us would think we'd have gotten buried by 30...

I'm as guilty as anyone on second guessing our coach, but he's proven to be not only a master psychologist, but pretty good at game planning and motivating these young men...

I think I'll start giving him the benefit of the doubt ;) 

They made more 3's (at a higher percentage), they made more FG's (at a higher percentage), out rebounded us, AND limited our All-American to his lowest totals of the year. FT and turnovers where the difference but this time we were the team on the good side of those. Plus, we just wanted it more 😄

image.png.d859b44e7a2cd12b7235c0d723536022.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope the players get to enjoy the win but it's a quick turnaround with Michigan on Sunday, then payback for PSU on Wednesday, and a trip to Maryland three days later (Saturday). The schedule is doing them no favors right now.

The concern is they may be emotionally and physically drained. The fans really need to blow up for the next two and help carry this team by providing some energy. Fortunately they are young and the bench provided some good minutes last night.

• Like 1

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about us needing to find the next elite big to replace Trayce (especially after the Nebraska game) but I think this game just demonstrated that in college basketball, elite guard/wing play with competent bigs beats elite bigs with competent guards/wings the overwhelming majority of the time. It appears this staff is recruiting this way and I'm totally down with that. Now, if we happen to land another elite big as well I won't complain 😉

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I'm guessing Rob's corner is getting pretty full about now.....

Him and Durr were huge. I totally get why they brought Durr in now. I didn’t think he had that type of game in him. Battled their bigs, altered shots, and even came up with a big basket and some free throws. Big props for him keeping himself ready to play as I don’t think anyone expected the role he had tonight.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Him and Durr were huge. I totally get why they brought Durr in now. I didn’t think he had that type of game in him. Battled their bigs, altered shots, and even came up with a big basket and some free throws. Big props for him keeping himself ready to play as I don’t think anyone expected the role he had tonight.

The staff did. They had no hesitation going to him.  We are a really deep basketball team, currently. 

• Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

Durr is our one big who has consistently hit that like 15 footer as well (Duncomb may have that in him, but smaller sample size).  If we are playing 2 bigs, his ability to step out and hit that is really big.  If TJD had that shot he would be a really tough guy to guard.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I hope the players get to enjoy the win but it's a quick turnaround with Michigan on Sunday, then payback for PSU on Wednesday, and a trip to Maryland three days later (Saturday). The schedule is doing them no favors right now.

The concern is they may be emotionally and physically drained. The fans really need to blow up for the next two and help carry this team by providing some energy. Fortunately they are young and the bench provided some good minutes last night.

Anyone else in the middle of watching the mass celebration on the floor after the game think "Oh @#$% the team is going to get COVID" or was it just me?

I immediately pushed it out of my mind and thought "It's been 320 days since PU beat IU" and have just been holding on to that happy thought

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Imagine there are going to be some empty seats for early Friday morning classes😀

What a great effort! This game illustrates the potential for this team.

The guard play last night is what teams that go deep into the tournament have. I think that X is finally understanding the concept of playin under control, and Rob is developing the confidence to match his skill level.

Speaking of X. On the play where Race was given the flagrant 1 foul, I thought he was going to help Ivey up v doing something immature and punkish. Looked to me like the PUke players intervened and pulled him away, and started jabbering at him. to me, it appeared as though X was trying to show great sportsmanship. I think that CMW is starting to rub off on X in a very positive way.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Anyone else in the middle of watching the mass celebration on the floor after the game think "Oh @#$% the team is going to get COVID" or was it just me?

I immediately pushed it out of my mind and thought "It's been 320 days since PU beat IU" and have just been holding on to that happy thought

Haha. Well, not until now!

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

I had a 10 min. convo with TJD this evening. He wasnt even going to play in the game earlier in the day because of the flu. He said he was feeling better before game time but still had to be shot up to numb his hip so he could go. New found respect for TJD because he didnt say a word about his bad game, just wanted to talk about how great his teammates played without him.

Trayce is one of my favorite Hoosiers of all time, he is IU 100%. You could see at the end of the game how happy he was for his teammates especially Rob.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It seems like every off season we have threads going here about how deep we will be the upcoming season, and then it doesn’t pan out. Well it sure has panned out this year, and I for one am enjoying it. 

And we were stubborn in our development of it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Someone else said it earlier in this thread, but Matt Painter was pure class in the post game...

I would love to hate the PU coach. Unless there is something I do not know about Painter, he always comes across as a respectable guy. Knowledgeable, funny... 

Not to speak heresy, but once we start dominating again I do hope that PU keeps their game at a high level so that the IU-PU game returns to being a national game and not the regional game it has become.

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 1