INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

Just taking it all in still....

Woody's coaching at the end of the game was spectacular on many levels....

-First, he draws up a play for Rob and Rob gets a great shot. More than the X's and O's it showed Rob the head coach has confidence in him at the most important moment in the season.

-The shot doesn't go in and we get the rebound. Immediately calls another timeout. (This is why you save your timeouts). He then draws ANOTHER play for Rob, which says: "you didn't hit the first one, but I still believe in you." Rob drains the 3.

-And then the choice not to foul not to PU while 3 up ended up paying off. 

Even if Rob's shot didn't go in I'd be praising it. You have to put the ball in Rob's hands in that situation given his history and his performance in the game. Not only did that decision pay off in the moment, I really do hope it will pay off with the development of Rob's confidence. I'm not sure if I'm happier for the win or happier for Rob. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Sitting here at the moment trying to replay and figure out how XJ hit that shot clock buzzer beating 3. At that point it just felt like our night. 

Feel you on that one BUT.... when they went in, I said "he deserved that". Alllllll the tough calls/breaks he has had go his way this season, he needed something to go his way. I know he seems like a ball hog/whatever, but he truthfully isn't. He is simply a little immature. His love for our team and his teammates is real though. He congratulated RP on Twitter like everyone else. 

I think when we see his "frustration" mistakes they are from his immaturity more than anything, no one has held him accountable until now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rico said:

indiana.jpg

Every Indiana HS basketball kid....whether they went to Purdue or IU....grow up playing for this game. It means a ton to them. I don't know what it has been like under Archie but he seemed to want to downplay it...and it almost seemed like the players did too. But Woody, Painter, these kids all know it...and WANT IT! It's the only rivalry game left on our schedule with UK gone and Crossroads ending. It's a big time game! Glad for the IU kids to experience the win...especially Rob...but Trayce, Trey, Anthony, KL all of them. We've been on the other side last several years and they don't want the legacy that could have been attached to them.....never beat Purdue, never make the NCAA tournament, never win the B1G...etc. Well we got the first monkey off our back and well on our way if we take care of business with number 2....might as well cross number 3 off the list as well....let this game get us on a roll.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Digesting that box score. 3 turnovers. 3. In this world? Phenomenal job by our crew and so very happy for Rob. Legacy changer for him.....and major kudos to Xavier Johnson too.

Contributions from many. Hopefully TJD gets healthy for Sunday.

One was a team turnover from a shot clock lol it was almost unreal seeing good guard play. I just like that they weren't hesitant. 

• Like 5

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Digesting that box score. 3 turnovers. 3. In this world? Phenomenal job by our crew and so very happy for Rob. Legacy changer for him.....and major kudos to Xavier Johnson too.

Contributions from many. Hopefully TJD gets healthy for Sunday.

Purdue's on ball defense was way way too relaxed....no ball pressure. You could tell they planned on doubling the post and laying off our guards...well without Trayce there was no reason for it...and I don't think they adjusted their on ball defense because without Trayce on the floor...screen and roll/dribble drive was all we had to go to. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I want to throw a shout out to XJ. Rob's first half and game winning shot overshadowed a spectacular performance by XJ. And to be honest, I think XJ's performance was at least as important in giving us a chance to win. Honestly, we needed a great game from a lot of people and we got it. 

XJ is criminally undervalued. He adds a lot of things that do not easily appear in the stats sheet.

He and Rob outplayed Purdue's backcourt.  Big time, outplayed!!  I remember seeing a post that stated Purdue's weakness was their guards/backcourt.  That poster was correct.  JMHO.   😊

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Every Indiana HS basketball kid....whether they went to Purdue or IU....grow up playing for this game. It means a ton to them. I don't know what it has been like under Archie but he seemed to want to downplay it...and it almost seemed like the players did too. But Woody, Painter, these kids all know it...and WANT IT! It's the only rivalry game left on our schedule with UK gone and Crossroads ending. It's a big time game! Glad for the IU kids to experience the win...especially Rob...but Trayce, Trey, Anthony, KL all of them. We've been on the other side last several years and they don't want the legacy that could have been attached to them.....never beat Purdue, never make the NCAA tournament, never win the B1G...etc. Well we got the first monkey off our back and well on our way if we take care of business with number 2....might as well cross number 3 off the list as well....let this game get us on a roll.

To be honest, I never felt like crossroads was a rivalry game. For me we have two rivals: UK and PU.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about us needing to find the next elite big to replace Trayce (especially after the Nebraska game) but I think this game just demonstrated that in college basketball, elite guard/wing play with competent bigs beats elite bigs with competent guards/wings the overwhelming majority of the time. It appears this staff is recruiting this way and I'm totally down with that. Now, if we happen to land another elite big as well I won't complain 😉

Been thinking a lot about this!  

Success last night without TJD and the college game has moved away from dominant big men.   Which got me thinking about Archie  

When Archie was here, his best players were Juwan, a broken down Romeo, and TJD. Basically built an offense around Morgan and TJD all those years.    At Dayton, all of his success was bc of guards.  

Now - he HAD to recruit TJD.  And this may highlight Archie’s deficiencies, but i really don’t think he wanted to design an offense around big men.  If TJD had no Indiana ties, would he have even recruited him?     I recognize some sort of larger body is needed down low, but I feel like had Archie ran a guard focused offense, maybe he’d have more success?   

Just a random observation.  He seemed great at Dayton.  Obviously not here.  

This might be influenced by my hatred for Turdue but I am not impressed with them at all. Ivey is a really good player and Edey size helps him score some points, but other than Stefanovic hitting some threes and Williams having an occasional good game they are kind of just another team. Newman and Hunter are lost out there and Furst I had no clue was even out there at times. They have the pieces to be a decent team but I don't see them as an Elite Eight team especially with their PG and defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

This might be influenced by my hatred for Turdue but I am not impressed with them at all. Ivey is a really good player and Edey size helps him score some points, but other than Stefanovic hitting some threes and Williams having an occasional good game they are kind of just another team. Newman and Hunter are lost out there and Furst I had no clue was even out there at times. They have the pieces to be a decent team but I don't see them as an Elite Eight team especially with their PG and defense.

In the toruney, Ivey can almost single handedly carry them to a few wins. 

I was most impressed with Gillis. He’s like Race, but a more consistent deep threat. 

11 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Been thinking a lot about this!  

Success last night without TJD and the college game has moved away from dominant big men.   Which got me thinking about Archie  

When Archie was here, his best players were Juwan, a broken down Romeo, and TJD. Basically built an offense around Morgan and TJD all those years.    At Dayton, all of his success was bc of guards.  

Now - he HAD to recruit TJD.  And this may highlight Archie’s deficiencies, but i really don’t think he wanted to design an offense around big men.  If TJD had no Indiana ties, would he have even recruited him?     I recognize some sort of larger body is needed down low, but I feel like had Archie ran a guard focused offense, maybe he’d have more success?   

Just a random observation.  He seemed great at Dayton.  Obviously not here.  

I was just getting ready to post a similar reply.

I'll preface this with: this is just an observation. I am in no way advocating the TJD not be in the line up or hurts this team.

That said, back to our last dominant big, Juwan Morgan, it seems like this team loses itself with the inside/outside game. They get caught waiting for their All Big Ten big man to do something, rather than moving the ball and setting up a 'plan B'.

I really hope the lesson taken from this game is that the guards have the ability to take over a game. Now lets do it with TJD on the floor. He can still be the first option, but they need to move with purpose and create for other players (and themselves) once the ball goes into Trayce or if he's not open.

All that said, and generally speaking, does an inside/outside game disrupt the flow of an offense in today's game? Yes, there are teams (Purdue) who play this way successfully, but history has shown that it hasn't worked for us all that well. 

Again, I know this is just one game. I'm just thinking out loud. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1