INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

Really glad for these upperclassmen getting their first "W" against PU. It was only fitting that Rob made the game winning shot.

One other thing...this IU team really does have a great group of kids who make it easy to root for them. This is a very unselfish group as TJD proved last night. He was cheering harder than anyone while on the bench with foul trouble, and again lifting Rob up after the victory. Bates hasn't gotten a ton of minutes lately, but I saw him up and cheering wildly for his teammates as well. Others have spoken about how Lander has maintained a great attitude despite limited minutes.

It is obvious this team has worked their butts off on the defensive side of the ball. Which tells me they are buying in to TEAM basketball. Kudos to coach Woodson and assistant coaches for leading and teaching the right way.

Glad for all of them they got to experience that scene last night and celebrate with their friends afterwards.

GO HOOSIERS!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

In the toruney, Ivey can almost single handedly carry them to a few wins. 

I was most impressed with Gillis. He’s like Race, but a more consistent deep threat. 

Ivey is good but he isn't good enough to carry them to wins against good teams. I could see them being a first weekend victim with their PG play and other then Ivey their overall guard play which is what you need to advance in the tournament.

Tried to post this last night, but not sure it ever did because of the system crashing.

I am SO glad we did not foul at the end.  If we do, Purdue puts Edey in to rebound the missed free throw and all sorts of bad things can happen.  Could have turned into a 4 point play.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Galloway being healthy is huge for this team. He can defend multiple types of players and does the little things on offense 

Geronimo is starting to play and look comfortable. Even Bates is starting to look like the game is slowing down for him

Durr was huge last night

Bate's shots were good shots, even if they did not fall.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Ivey is good but he isn't good enough to carry them to wins against good teams. I could see them being a first weekend victim with their PG play and other then Ivey their overall guard play which is what you need to advance in the tournament.

I think he is good enough.  Different skill set but better than Carsen Edwards, and we know what he did in the tourney that one year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was just getting ready to post a similar reply.

I'll preface this with: this is just an observation. I am in no way advocating the TJD not be in the line up or hurts this team.

That said, back to our last dominant big, Juwan Morgan, it seems like this team loses itself with the inside/outside game. They get caught waiting for their All Big Ten big man to do something, rather than moving the ball and setting up a 'plan B'.

I really hope the lesson taken from this game is that the guards have the ability to take over a game. Now lets do it with TJD on the floor. He can still be the first option, but they need to move with purpose and create for other players (and themselves) once the ball goes into Trayce or if he's not open.

All that said, and generally speaking, does an inside/outside game disrupt the flow of an offense in today's game? Yes, there are teams (Purdue) who play this way successfully, but history has shown that it hasn't worked for us all that well. 

Again, I know this is just one game. I'm just thinking out loud. 

Great observation.   I then think back to DJ White.  He was great with his back to the basket.   But also - when they kicked out, they were very effective that way too.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Tried to post this last night, but not sure it ever did because of the system crashing.

I am SO glad we did not foul at the end.  If we do, Purdue puts Edey in to rebound the missed free throw and all sorts of bad things can happen.  Could have turned into a 4 point play.

Galloway played it about as well as you could play it...

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

Tried to post this last night, but not sure it ever did because if the system crashing.

This is one of the more controversial strategies for sure. I really think it comes down to what a coach feels in his gut at that particular moment. I wouldn't be lying if I said I was nervous about that decision with Ivey on the floor. 

I will say that when we are down 3 I'm hoping the opponent doesn't foul us because I like our chances of hitting the 3 over getting a rebound on a missed free throw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

This is one of the more controversial strategies for sure. I really think it comes down to what a coach feels in his gut at that particular moment. I wouldn't be lying if I said I was nervous about that decision with Ivey on the floor. 

I will say that when we are down 3 I'm hoping the opponent doesn't foul us because I like our chances of hitting the 3 over getting a rebound on a missed free throw.

Edey gives Purdue a significant advantage that other teams dont have when you think of rebounding in that situation.  And, with the chaos of the play, he almost certainly would get fouled on the put-back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Edey gives Purdue a significant advantage that other teams dont have when you think of rebounding in that situation.  And, with the chaos of the play, he almost certainly would get fouled on the put-back.

I don't agree with you at all here. But, I also don't think you are wrong or Woodson was wrong in the way we decided to play it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

I hope the players get to enjoy the win but it's a quick turnaround with Michigan on Sunday, then payback for PSU on Wednesday, and a trip to Maryland three days later (Saturday). The schedule is doing them no favors right now.

The concern is they may be emotionally and physically drained. The fans really need to blow up for the next two and help carry this team by providing some energy. Fortunately they are young and the bench provided some good minutes last night.

I agree with this, but the flip side is that there was a confidence gained last night, and if it takes hold, could make us dangerous.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It seems like every off season we have threads going here about how deep we will be the upcoming season, and then it doesn’t pan out. Well it sure has panned out this year, and I for one am enjoying it. 

That's what I could not understand with Archie. He seemed to refuse to use all of his scholarships. It was a self-imposed loss of scholarships every season and he never had depth as an option. So one significant injury - team done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Trayce is one of my favorite Hoosiers of all time, he is IU 100%. You could see at the end of the game how happy he was for his teammates especially Rob.

Notice too, that in the locker room after the game, when coach is congratulating Durr, Trace was the first guy to run across the locker room and congratulate him.  Seriously, who wouldn't want a teammate like that?

• Like 5