INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

23 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Great observation.   I then think back to DJ White.  He was great with his back to the basket.   But also - when they kicked out, they were very effective that way too.  

DJ White was able to knock it down pass the free throw line.  TJD is the best player and the inside of Purdue is their strength + Ivy.  Worked for this game, but other teams that do not have the size, inside out is the eay to go.  Next year and beyond when you have more playmakers we will see more a 4out 1 in and different play.  When Bates, Jordan, recruits etc take over, their style will change.  Thats one thing Coach has shown, he adapts style on O for personal.  

TJD is very important to the success of this team.  With Durr, they had to guard his shooting ability, or at least respect it.  

And, if Rob continues to play his game, teams will guard him differently and it is even more important than to dibble drive and get the ball inside out.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was just getting ready to post a similar reply.

I'll preface this with: this is just an observation. I am in no way advocating the TJD not be in the line up or hurts this team.

That said, back to our last dominant big, Juwan Morgan, it seems like this team loses itself with the inside/outside game. They get caught waiting for their All Big Ten big man to do something, rather than moving the ball and setting up a 'plan B'.

I really hope the lesson taken from this game is that the guards have the ability to take over a game. Now lets do it with TJD on the floor. He can still be the first option, but they need to move with purpose and create for other players (and themselves) once the ball goes into Trayce or if he's not open.

All that said, and generally speaking, does an inside/outside game disrupt the flow of an offense in today's game? Yes, there are teams (Purdue) who play this way successfully, but history has shown that it hasn't worked for us all that well. 

Again, I know this is just one game. I'm just thinking out loud. 

In all due respect, I think that the inside/out game is very vital to the success of most teams. There has to be an inside presence that opposing defenses respect, or the wings/guards won't have the room and space to shoot. I think what you are referring to is a point in time where we didn't have shooters capable of consistently making those outside shots, or if they were, lacked the confidence to do so. We are starting to see IU have players who have shown the ability to hit shots--Stewart, Kopp, now Rob and even X, and this makes a huge difference in how our offense can be run, and how defenses will have to play us. 

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

continues to play his game, teams will guard him differently and it is even more important than to dibble drive and get the ball inside out.

I think its important to notice that Rob plays really well when he is the 2 with XJ on the floor.  When he is the ball handler and runner of offense is when he stop being effective.  At no point should he be the PG going forward.  Use Galloway or Bates but keep Rob at the 2.  Let him just move and shoot.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I might be just a tad biased, but we have the best home court advantage in college basketball...

There's a clip on Youtube that's about 2 minutes long...titled IUBB Welcome to Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Jim Jackson, Coach K,etc...have some real nice things to say about IU crowd.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think its important to notice that Rob plays really well when he is the 2 with XJ on the floor.  When he is the ball handler and runner of offense is when he stop being effective.  At no point should he be the PG going forward.  Use Galloway or Bates but keep Rob at the 2.  Let him just move and shoot.

He was the PG the first like 8.5 mins he was on the court last night. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

He was the PG the first like 8.5 mins he was on the court last night. 

I came in at the 14 minute mark and he and XJ were both on the floor so i assume XJ was the point and rob was the off guard.  I stand corrected.  As usual you're correct btown.  Maybe just put me on ignore so you don't have to continually correct my stupidity and bad opinions.

• Like 1

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I came in at the 14 minute mark and he and XJ were both on the floor so i assume XJ was the point and rob was the off guard.  I stand corrected.  As usual you're correct btown.  Maybe just put me on ignore so you don't have to continually correct my stupidity and bad opinions.

I don't think you're stupid at all. If I thought that, I wouldn't respond to you. He came in for XJ at the 13min mark and scored 13 of his 20 points in the 8.5 mins that he was the PG. 

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

I hope the players get to enjoy the win but it's a quick turnaround with Michigan on Sunday, then payback for PSU on Wednesday, and a trip to Maryland three days later (Saturday). The schedule is doing them no favors right now.

The concern is they may be emotionally and physically drained. The fans really need to blow up for the next two and help carry this team by providing some energy. Fortunately they are young and the bench provided some good minutes last night.

Trayce should be well rested at least. I'm just hoping for a carry over for Rob being aggressive and going to the rim. Good things happen when you attack....not just scoring at the basket and dishing but it slows down close outs and allows you more open looks from 3...and we all know we need to shoot a better percentage from out there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Trayce should be well rested at least. I'm just hoping for a carry over for Rob being aggressive and going to the rim. Good things happen when you attack....not just scoring at the basket and dishing but it slows down close outs and allows you more open looks from 3...and we all know we need to shoot a better percentage from out there.

Everyone is different but in my competition days in sports I couldn't wait for the next game. Chomping to get on the court or field. Hopefully our guys are wired that way.

Just glad Sunday's game isn't at noon. Snow in forecast (finally) so roads will be tricky in morning but fine by afternoon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

To be honest, I never felt like crossroads was a rivalry game. For me we have two rivals: UK and PU.

Probably why we struggled to win our game consistently until Butler and ND really fell off alongside us the last couple years. Our opponent came in as it was a big statement game and maybe we just didn't match the intensity. I'd agree in general though....I wouldn't count them rivals but outside Purdue there just hasn't been one on our schedule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

I hope the players get to enjoy the win but it's a quick turnaround with Michigan on Sunday, then payback for PSU on Wednesday, and a trip to Maryland three days later (Saturday). The schedule is doing them no favors right now.

The concern is they may be emotionally and physically drained. The fans really need to blow up for the next two and help carry this team by providing some energy. Fortunately they are young and the bench provided some good minutes last night.

Not really sure why you say that. Michigan is scuttling right now, and we get both them and PSU at home with reasonable rest time. Maryland is also a mess, so a winnable road game there. All three are in the bottom 6 of the conference, and we follow that with Illinois at home and another winnable road game at NW. I'd say this is about as good a schedule as you could ask for in the next two weeks or so.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probably why we struggled to win our game consistently until Butler and ND really fell off alongside us the last couple years. Our opponent came in as it was a big statement game and maybe we just didn't match the intensity. I'd agree in general though....I wouldn't count them rivals but outside Purdue there just hasn't been one on our schedule.

I do like that we are playing Kansas. I would love for that to turn into a rivalry

• Like 2