INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

7 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Well he was a very nice pickup. You’ll need him against Kofi too…

Yep...important to have that sort of guy in the B1G. Physical and long to help against the Kofi/Edy/Dickenson and any other lumbering big that Wisconsin, Rutgers, Minnesota typically brings in. He is a bit different from Trayce in that he uses his body to defend more and Trayce will give space so he can time blocks. Also he is probably better facing up then back to the basket as opposed to Trayce. Definitely got more out of him than I was expecting though...no doubt his best game as a Hoosier...and I'd be shocked if he could duplicate it at that level again.

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In all due respect, I think that the inside/out game is very vital to the success of most teams. There has to be an inside presence that opposing defenses respect, or the wings/guards won't have the room and space to shoot. I think what you are referring to is a point in time where we didn't have shooters capable of consistently making those outside shots, or if they were, lacked the confidence to do so. We are starting to see IU have players who have shown the ability to hit shots--Stewart, Kopp, now Rob and even X, and this makes a huge difference in how our offense can be run, and how defenses will have to play us. 

I guess that I'm not dismissing the importance of an inside game, just the time and energy spent on trying to get the ball to TJD most of the time we are running a half court offense. I'm not a coach so I'm honestly talking out of my butt, but if we run plays for our guards and wings with an option (shoot or reverse the ball) it would open passing lanes to the inside with less effort. It just seems that since Archie was here we've always been forcing it and it disrupts our offensive flow. Of course, we need the players to do this....and it looks like that is whom Woody is recruiting. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have a bad taste in my mouth about Hunter, Franklin, and Brunk to a degree bc they chose to leave. With AD, I felt thankful for his time but didn’t care what he did at Providence. It’s hard after seeing that he still loves the guys on our team / prob wishes us the best, to not “root” for him now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

He and Rob outplayed Purdue's backcourt.  Big time, outplayed!!  I remember seeing a post that stated Purdue's weakness was their guards/backcourt.  That poster was correct.  JMHO.   😊

I have been hard on XJ and had a little change of heart after last night’s game. When Race fouled Ivey, and Ivey jumped up, X was in Ivey’s face right away. After X threw the oop to TJD, the look on his face was the same passion that we feel as fans. X was fired up. If he can harness this moving forward, it greatly enhances our shot at doing some damage. This passion we saw last night was so lackluster under Archie. I was ready to accept the L and be happy that they played with heart. Let’s hope they understand how good they can be, and also as grown fans, understand that growth is not always linear. Could be more downs ahead.. but not today. Hats off to XJ

• Like 3

Just now, Rev_AK said:

I have been hard on XJ and had a little change of heart after last night’s game. When Race fouled Ivey, and Ivey jumped up, X was in Ivey’s face right away. After X threw the oop to TJD, the look on his face was the same passion that we feel as fans. X was fired up. If he can harness this moving forward, it greatly enhances our shot at doing some damage. This passion we saw last night was so lackluster under Archie. I was ready to accept the L and be happy that they played with heart. Let’s hope they understand how good they can be, and also as grown fans, understand that growth is not always linear. Could be more downs ahead.. but not today. Hats off to XJ

+1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I guess that I'm not dismissing the importance of an inside game, just the time and energy spent on trying to get the ball to TJD most of the time we are running a half court offense. I'm not a coach so I'm honestly talking out of my butt, but if we run plays for our guards and wings with an option (shoot or reverse the ball) it would open passing lanes to the inside with less effort. It just seems that since Archie was here we've always been forcing it and it disrupts our offensive flow. Of course, we need the players to do this....and it looks like that is whom Woody is recruiting. 

The biggest issue last night that doesn't always happen with Trayce on the floor or heavily involved in a game is just the aggressiveness of everyone on the floor last night to contribute. No one was standing around, everyone was getting touches, and everyone was looking for ways to score. Too often if they aren't involved in a pick n roll with Trayce or getting him the ball we stand around way way too much waiting for Trayce to do his thing. Only when teams double does someone make a cut or move to an opening for a pass. We should be just as active when Trayce has a 1-1 or in the game in moving and penetrating like last night as when he is out. We had no choice....and luckily guys were ready to contribute. I will say we were very very fortunate Purdue was lax with the ball in the first half....we got so many baskets out in transition and before they could really set up in half court. We saw in the second half it became much much more difficult to score in the half court set without Trayce because they did a better job taking care of the ball. Those live ball turnovers really spurred and sustained us. Really kept Purdue at bay and limited their runs. I guess over all I just liked the activity and sense of urgency the team played with when Trayce was out....guys stepped up...we need that same mentality when he is on the floor....he might still be the first option but they should still have it in their head to be aggressive as much as possible...makes the game so much easier for everyone.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I have a bad taste in my mouth about Hunter, Franklin, and Brunk to a degree bc they chose to leave. With AD, I felt thankful for his time but didn’t care what he did at Providence. It’s hard after seeing that he still loves the guys on our team / prob wishes us the best, to not “root” for him now. 

+1 

I was not there for the conversations, so I do not judge anyone's decision. Some players decided to leave, some stayed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Tried to post this last night, but not sure it ever did because of the system crashing.

I am SO glad we did not foul at the end.  If we do, Purdue puts Edey in to rebound the missed free throw and all sorts of bad things can happen.  Could have turned into a 4 point play.

It's nice to see the website crash because of a win. I've seen it way too many times after bad losses....let's make this the new trend lol!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...important to have that sort of guy in the B1G. Physical and long to help against the Kofi/Edy/Dickenson and any other lumbering big that Wisconsin, Rutgers, Minnesota typically brings in. He is a bit different from Trayce in that he uses his body to defend more and Trayce will give space so he can time blocks. Also he is probably better facing up then back to the basket as opposed to Trayce. Definitely got more out of him than I was expecting though...no doubt his best game as a Hoosier...and I'd be shocked if he could duplicate it at that level again.

Oh yeah, forgot about Hunter. Him too. Do TJD and Durr ever play together?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Their entire bench was pretty dominated. Williams was -9. 

Ivey was pretty good in the second half no doubt...but if Mason Gillis has just an avg game....that's a double digit win for us last night. He carried them with timely 3's and defense on Race. I don't think we will hold down the supporting cast as well as we did in Mackey...but man we will need to do a better job on him or we will be in trouble...hate to see him and Sasha and Ivey all 3 going off together.

Just now, dgambill said:

Ivey was pretty good in the second half no doubt...but if Mason Gillis has just an avg game....that's a double digit win for us last night. He carried them with timely 3's and defense on Race. I don't think we will hold down the supporting cast as well as we did in Mackey...but man we will need to do a better job on him or we will be in trouble...hate to see him and Sasha and Ivey all 3 going off together.

We were essentially letting MG have whatever he wanted. I think there was one he hit that was too open, and RP missed a block on him once. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I kind of would like to see this. Durr seems to have the second best jump shot (after Duncomb; admittedly small sample sizes).

Maybe it would not work...

The problem is the other end. Both would struggle to close out on some like Gillis, then they'd have to get back in rebounding position on a miss. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Oh yeah, forgot about Hunter. Him too. Do TJD and Durr ever play together?

No...I don't think any team we have faced has had two bigs that we could afford to play both. He has a much better touch on his shot then Race...but we can't have Trayce chasing smaller 4's around or taking him away from the basket. Would get too many cheap fouls that way and basically take away his best part of his defense (rim protecting). I suppose if you put Edey and Williams both in together we could think about it...but I doubt it. Our defense is our calling card and we wouldn't sacrifice that for simply some small upgrade over Race in shooting and spacing. Geronimo is also starting to show more confidence in his jumper/3 so playing him at the 4 might even serve us better at times then Race. Race really struggled last night. Gillis honestly was a horrible matchup for him. He was able to neutralize Race post game and rebounding mostly with his strength but he really stretched Race out to the 3pt line and chasing him off screens which is something Race isn't as comfortable with. He's guarded guys like Liddell out there but he doesn't move as well as Gillis wihout the ball and stay on the perimeter only. I could have seen Geronimo get some more minutes over Race but in the end...Woody made the right moves and I can't complain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't agree with you at all here. But, I also don't think you are wrong or Woodson was wrong in the way we decided to play it. 

Agreed....I think you just have to go with how you practice it and how you prepare. You have a philosophy and you stick to it no matter what. Last thing you want is indecision and uncertainty and having guys do something they aren't comfortable doing or haven't practiced and prepared for.....especially with college kids. You want high basketball IQ guys and while we have some I don't trust 20 year olds maybe enough unless it is something they work on a great deal in practice every week.

I tried for an hour last night after the game to get on here but couldn't. Then it took me a good hour this morning just to get caught up. A great, well deserved, win. Also some great reporting and some nice national recognition out there on the game-

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/rob-phinisee-can-walk-tall-in-lafayette-we-finally-beat-purdue/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/indiana-vs-purdue-score-hoosiers-fans-storm-court-after-upset-of-no-4-boilermakers/

Edited by Reacher
  • Thanks 2

1) Very puzzled with why Trevion Williams was allowed to take the shots he did for them. I thought his turnovers and 2 shots he took towards the end of the game threw them out of it, not even mentioning their terrible free throw shooting.

2) Not sure why Edey didn't just play the full game against us either. A few things added up to me feeling Painter got badly outcoached on this one even if purdue had strong out of bounds stuff going on.

3) As a habitual Rob critic I am happy to call a ceasefire from here forth. There's nothing you can really say to someone after a game like that besides great job. Others have said he solidified himself in the program's history and he certainly has now.

Edited by Bushmage