INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

6 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

1) Very puzzled with why Trevion Williams was allowed to take the shots he did for them. I thought his turnovers and 2 shots he took towards the end of the game threw them out of it, not even mentioning their terrible free throw shooting.

2) Not sure why Edey didn't just play the full game against us either. A few things added up to me feeling Painter got badly outcoached on this one even if purdue had strong out of bounds stuff going on.

3) As a habitual Rob critic I am happy to call a ceasefire from here forth. There's nothing you can really say to someone after a game like that besides great job. Others have said he solidified himself in the program's history and he certainly has now.

A player like Edey will always be limited in how many minutes he can play. Just physically with that kind of body, you see it all the time. 

• Like 3

First Great! Great! win for the Hoosiers. Ivey should have been tossed for shoving Galloway. Was a punk move. and then the refs coddle him the rest of the game. On another note, does anyone know what Williams from PU identifies as? just wondering he had some ugly arse rainbow shoes on. LOL! 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ivey was pretty good in the second half no doubt...but if Mason Gillis has just an avg game....that's a double digit win for us last night. He carried them with timely 3's and defense on Race. I don't think we will hold down the supporting cast as well as we did in Mackey...but man we will need to do a better job on him or we will be in trouble...hate to see him and Sasha and Ivey all 3 going off together.

I think you could also flip that and say if RP doesn’t have the best game of his career (that and him and XJ combining for 38 points and no turnovers), Purdue wins comfortably. A lot of strange things happened in that game:

IU with only 3 TO’s

Purdue going 7-17 from the line when they’re in the mid-70’s on the season

Trevion playing maybe the worst game of his career including air balling a 3 footer that would’ve sealed it.

TJD only scoring 4 points and being in foul trouble 

Purdue bench combining for 2 points and 4 TO’s

I really think TJD being out of the game for the majority of the first half messed up our game plan. If that didn’t happen, I’m guessing we win but that’s just my hunch. 

In all, really good win for you guys but a weird game for a lot of reasons. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think you could also flip that and say if RP doesn’t have the best game of his career (that and him and XJ combining for 38 points and no turnovers), Purdue wins comfortably. A lot of strange things happened in that game:

IU with only 3 TO’s

Trevion playing maybe the worst game of his career including air balling a 3 footer that would’ve sealed it.

I really think TJD being out of the game for the majority of the first half messed up our game plan. If that didn’t happen, I’m guessing we win but that’s just my hunch. 

I think we adjust to adversity better than you. We didn't just start chucking people into the stands because things weren't going our way. We were better prepared for the unknown. 

Your bench combined for 2points and 4TOs because our bench is better. Your starters are better than ours, though. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

First Great! Great! win for the Hoosiers. Ivey should have been tossed for shoving Galloway. Was a punk move. and then the refs coddle him the rest of the game. On another note, does anyone know what Williams from PU identifies as? just wondering he had some ugly arse rainbow shoes on. LOL! 

Why does it matter what he identifies as? 

25 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

1) Very puzzled with why Trevion Williams was allowed to take the shots he did for them. I thought his turnovers and 2 shots he took towards the end of the game threw them out of it, not even mentioning their terrible free throw shooting.

2) Not sure why Edey didn't just play the full game against us either. A few things added up to me feeling Painter got badly outcoached on this one even if purdue had strong out of bounds stuff going on.

3) As a habitual Rob critic I am happy to call a ceasefire from here forth. There's nothing you can really say to someone after a game like that besides great job. Others have said he solidified himself in the program's history and he certainly has now.

Tre has won a lot of games for us and has been clutch at the end of games. Just didn’t work out this time. 

Edey can’t play the whole game unfortunately because of his size plus he and Tre both need to play. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Deliciously ironic that they complain all IU fans do is talk about history but they’re doing the same thing to make themselves feel better about losing to us when TJD played 10 minutes. 

B1E2E0F1-8EC3-409E-A600-34FE0223C91C.jpeg

Purdue Fans: Indiana needs to stop living in the past they aren't a blue blood anymore. 

Purdue Fans: Indiana finally got their first win against us in 5 years. 

image.png.9583f689cf5702bbd86771efb6732d54.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think we adjust to adversity better than you. We didn't just start chucking people into the stands because things weren't going our way. We were better prepared for the unknown. 

Your bench combined for 2points and 4TOs because our bench is better. Your starters are better than ours, though. 

I disagree that your bench is better but I think it’s debatable. They were certainly better than us last night but as a whole, not sure. We have an All B1G guy coming off our bench. 

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

IU with only 3 TO’s

I don’t buy your thoughts on TJD at all, but I sure hope we get a fair whistle against you in March so you can eff around and find out. If it would’ve been fair last night Edey would have been in foul trouble not TJD, and with the way Williams played it would’ve gotten ugly for you. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

IU with only 3 TO’s

So Purdue didn’t game plan on what if we get Trayce in foul trouble? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I disagree that your bench is better but I think it’s debatable. They were certainly better than us last night but as a whole, not sure. We have an All B1G guy coming off our bench. 

I agree with the benches argument being debatable. If I may I feel Painter was out coached last night and possibly the OT game against Illinois may have taken a lot out of the players. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Tre has won a lot of games for us and has been clutch at the end of games. Just didn’t work out this time. 

Edey can’t play the whole game unfortunately because of his size plus he and Tre both need to play. 

I think you guys should start Williams instead of Edey....but I could be wrong as you watch more of their games. I think Williams would benefit from getting involved in the game right out the gate....get a nice lather....he seems to be very hit or miss coming off the bench. Just like Trayce he was never able to really get INTO the game mentally/physically. I get it at why he doesn't...plus he gets to FEAST on other teams back up bigs but I think Edey..no matter when he comes in and who he faces will be just as effective....just like last year. I get it...but I guess I would wonder if Williams struggles as things move along.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t buy your thoughts on TJD at all, but I sure hope we get a fair whistle against you in March so you can eff and find out. If it would’ve been fair last night Edey would have been in foul trouble not TJD, and with the way Williams played it would’ve gotten ugly for you. 

Agree to disagree. Gillis certainly held his own against Race which was nice to see. 

Hunter was worked, as was Newman. Morton was a complete non factor. Furst was ok, but nothing of substance. Yes, Williams will for sure play better the next time he is in... but Durr defended him very well and has a little length advantage on Williams that I don't think he is used to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I agree with the benches argument being debatable. If I may I feel Painter was out coached last night and possibly the OT game against Illinois may have taken a lot out of the players. 

I don’t think you’re off-base at all in saying that. But at the end of the day, you gotta make free throws and take care of the ball. Way too many self-inflicted wounds last night. 

Agree to disagree. Gillis certainly held his own against Race which was nice to see. 

Sure, I will absolutely agree to disagree with you thinking the best player on either team getting absolutely screwed by the refs somehow helped that team. 

Defense beats offense, and you're an elite offense with a bad defense and it bit you again. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well...the only thing we can go by is what we saw last night. Maybe we are just deeper but Rob/Galloway/Geronimo looked pretty good and have all given us a lift this year. I won't lie I didn't expect Durr to do as much as he did in that game but I think the combination of those guys outweigh the one major contributor you guys consistently have coming off yours. Plus...let's be fair...our guys effect the game at both ends of the floor as opposed to Williams. Your starters for sure are superior...and honestly it's almost at every position across the starting lineup....but l have a hard time saying your bench is better....after all...basically our bench beat your starters last night...as not only did Durr/Rob/Galloway out play the bench...but they really basically outplayed your starters as Kopp/Stewart/TJD were minimal on their impact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well...the only thing we can go by is what we saw last night. Maybe we are just deeper but Rob/Galloway/Geronimo looked pretty good and have all given us a lift this year. I won't lie I didn't expect Durr to do as much as he did in that game but I think the combination of those guys outweigh the one major contributor you guys consistently have coming off yours. Plus...let's be fair...our guys effect the game at both ends of the floor as opposed to Williams. Your starters for sure are superior...and honestly it's almost at every position across the starting lineup....but l have a hard time saying your bench is better....after all...basically our bench beat your starters last night...as not only did Durr/Rob/Galloway out play the bench...but they really basically outplayed your starters as Kopp/Stewart/TJD were minimal on their impact.

Purdue definitely has better starters, but it isn't at every spot at all. We are WAY better at PG, better at center, and better at 4. They just have a huge lead at the 2 and 3 spots. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think you guys should start Williams instead of Edey....but I could be wrong as you watch more of their games. I think Williams would benefit from getting involved in the game right out the gate....get a nice lather....he seems to be very hit or miss coming off the bench. Just like Trayce he was never able to really get INTO the game mentally/physically. I get it at why he doesn't...plus he gets to FEAST on other teams back up bigs but I think Edey..no matter when he comes in and who he faces will be just as effective....just like last year. I get it...but I guess I would wonder if Williams struggles as things move along.

Totally fair questions and we’ve switched off on who starts this year. Just tough when 2 of your best 3 players play the same position and can’t play alongside each other. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Purdue definitely has better starters, but it isn't at every spot at all. We are WAY better at PG, better at center, and better at 4. They just have a huge lead at the 2 and 3 spots. 

Agree, but.... Gillis "fits" them better than Race would fit them, right? Gillis is a solid guy to have haha he would fit in nicely on our team. 

Hoping JG grows into and athletic version of MG by next year! 

• Like 1