INDIANA BEATS #4 PURDUE POSTGAME

KDB

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Totally fair questions and we’ve switched off on who starts this year. Just tough when 2 of your best 3 players play the same position and can’t play alongside each other. 

Matt Painter has consistently throughout his career created a problem of having two of his best players plays he same position and never figuring out how to play two bigs together. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No...I don't think any team we have faced has had two bigs that we could afford to play both. He has a much better touch on his shot then Race...but we can't have Trayce chasing smaller 4's around or taking him away from the basket. Would get too many cheap fouls that way and basically take away his best part of his defense (rim protecting). I suppose if you put Edey and Williams both in together we could think about it...but I doubt it. Our defense is our calling card and we wouldn't sacrifice that for simply some small upgrade over Race in shooting and spacing. Geronimo is also starting to show more confidence in his jumper/3 so playing him at the 4 might even serve us better at times then Race. Race really struggled last night. Gillis honestly was a horrible matchup for him. He was able to neutralize Race post game and rebounding mostly with his strength but he really stretched Race out to the 3pt line and chasing him off screens which is something Race isn't as comfortable with. He's guarded guys like Liddell out there but he doesn't move as well as Gillis wihout the ball and stay on the perimeter only. I could have seen Geronimo get some more minutes over Race but in the end...Woody made the right moves and I can't complain.

Woodson was asked about this (playing Durr and Trayce together) in his pre-game presser and he gave an emphatic "no way". Basically said there was no scenario he could imagine where that would be necessary or wanted.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Agree, but.... Gillis "fits" them better than Race would fit them, right? Gillis is a solid guy to have haha he would fit in nicely on our team. 

Hoping JG grows into and athletic version of MG by next year! 

Yeah, Gillis was impressive for sure. He fits them really well (I'd even argue the difference in SS and PS is more about fit than a huge difference in talent between the two). 

I did see somewhere Purdue fans saying they should run more offense through Gillis and just.... no. He's great as a guy who can hit open threes and get some cuts and put backs, but he isn't a guy you run an offense through at all. Race can actually have the offense run through him at points, but I'd love for Race to have the shooting ability of Gillis. Would be a complete game changer. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, Gillis was impressive for sure. He fits them really well (I'd even argue the difference in SS and PS is more about fit than a huge difference in talent between the two). 

I did see somewhere Purdue fans saying they should run more offense through Gillis and just.... no. He's great as a guy who can hit open threes and get some cuts and put backs, but he isn't a guy you run an offense through at all. Race can actually have the offense run through him at points, but I'd love for Race to have the shooting ability of Gillis. Would be a complete game changer. 

Love it. Yes, agree to all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think you could also flip that and say if RP doesn’t have the best game of his career (that and him and XJ combining for 38 points and no turnovers), Purdue wins comfortably. A lot of strange things happened in that game:

IU with only 3 TO’s

Purdue going 7-17 from the line when they’re in the mid-70’s on the season

Trevion playing maybe the worst game of his career including air balling a 3 footer that would’ve sealed it.

TJD only scoring 4 points and being in foul trouble 

Purdue bench combining for 2 points and 4 TO’s

I really think TJD being out of the game for the majority of the first half messed up our game plan. If that didn’t happen, I’m guessing we win but that’s just my hunch. 

In all, really good win for you guys but a weird game for a lot of reasons. 

It was a weird way for the game to play out for sure. I don't think anyone would predict it. The thing was...we fouled the right guys...your bigs hurt you at the line...we didn't foul your guards much as outside Ivey none of them got ANYTHING going to the basket...they were statues out there or turning it over. I won't expect Williams to play that bad..no doubt he just didn't get comfortable. Trayce...well I hope to God he doesn't get in foul trouble again. Should have just played straight up and made Edey hit over him. I'm not sure about your bench. They really thrive off your bigs drawing double teams. We didn't double much and those stand and shoot guys never had space to get going. None of them can get their own shot. I'll say this...IF you take care of the ball...you win the game no matter what. Points off turnovers were HUGE for us...as in the half court set without Trayce we had issues at times generating offense. Your on ball defense also was the worst I've seen it...I know it isn't your calling card this year as much because you've had enough offense to sustain you...but I was surprised because past Purdue teams will get right up in your crawl and make life miserable and you guys showed no energy to defend...maybe that was OT game...maybe it was the sagging defense/double team post you guys were playing against us...but it wasn't good obviously....and will have to get corrected (and I'm sure Painter will) going forward. Painter's sets out of timeouts are perhaps the best in the B1G. Really gave you guys a boost in the arm in keeping it close...thankfully Trayce was able to play that last minute to contest Ivey as I think he would have turned the corner on Durr and won you the game. There will be LOTS of adjustments in the second game....I doubt it will look anything like the first for sure. I'd say home court...and the hungrier/harder playing/more aggressive team won last night....it might totally flip next time...or if you guys have one of your better shooting games even our best likely won't beat your best. 

• Like 1

I think yesterday was a brilliant exercise in leadership and confidence from Coach Woodson...

How did he know to have an in depth talk, specifically, with Rob before the shootaround? I can almost guarantee that wasn't by happenstance, nor were the results...

Confidence is the game (not just in basketball, or sports in general, but in a lot of endeavors), and sometimes it takes someone else showing confidence in a person for them to embrace it themselves...

I sincerely believe that's what we saw last night...

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I really feel like Race has to be knocking 3s down in practice, because he looks confident when he's putting them up in games, and CMW doesn't seem to have a problem with him shooting them, but they're just not going down. Very similar to Rob before last night.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hunter was worked, as was Newman. Morton was a complete non factor. Furst was ok, but nothing of substance. Yes, Williams will for sure play better the next time he is in... but Durr defended him very well and has a little length advantage on Williams that I don't think he is used to. 

Not debating the game last night because you’re correct. Meant overall bench play for the season. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I really feel like Race has to be knocking 3s down in practice, because he looks confident when he's putting them up in games, and CMW doesn't seem to have a problem with him shooting them, but they're just not going down. Very similar to Rob before last night.

I concur. I think at some point shots will start falling for Race, and it'll completely change the offense when it does. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Matt Painter has consistently throughout his career created a problem of having two of his best players plays he same position and never figuring out how to play two bigs together. 

I’m guessing it’s not intentional but just happens sometimes. Who would’ve predicted Edey would turn into what he’s become? And I don’t care who you are but no coach is going to be able to consistently have two guys like Edey/Williams play together. Defense would never work. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agree... there has been a couple this year, I believe, where he has shot it with like 6 secs on the shot clock and he was in rhythm. Absolutely zero issue with anyone on our team shooting an in-rhythm 3 w/minimal time on the shot clock. It's probably going to be the best shot we are going to get anyways. 

But, yes, for sure agree.. he obviously hits them at a decent clip in practice. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m guessing it’s not intentional but just happens sometimes. Who would’ve predicted Edey would turn into what he’s become? And I don’t care who you are but no coach is going to be able to consistently have two guys like Edey/Williams play together. Defense would never work. 

I think you could absolutely find a way to get two of your best players on the floor at the same time. I can actually give tons of examples of teams with two dominant bigs doing that...

Just because Painter has no idea how to run anything other than a 4 out offense doesn't mean other coaches don't know how. 

3 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I would love to hate the PU coach. Unless there is something I do not know about Painter, he always comes across as a respectable guy. Knowledgeable, funny... 

Not to speak heresy, but once we start dominating again I do hope that PU keeps their game at a high level so that the IU-PU game returns to being a national game and not the regional game it has become.

You guys will always get the higher rated recruits but we’ll do out best 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

If watch Race warm up before the game he makes a lot of his 3s. He has good form. A few of those were in and out last night during the game. I have no problem with him taking a couple wide open looks a game. You at least have to make the defense choose to contest or let you have it

• Like 1