Michigan pre game

Hoosierfan1901

I think XJ will get Eli Brooks...Brooks is tons more dangerous than DeVante Jones...

Last year,, Dickinson had 13 points and 7 boards against us, and Trayce had one of his worst games of the year...But it wasn't Dickinson that hurt us...It was Wagner, Mike Smith, and especially Livers...and they aren't there anymore...

They do have 2 talented freshmen in Moussa Diabate and Caleb Houstan...Houstan is a shooter and can drive it, but I actually like Miller Kopp matchup on him...he's not been good shooting it in conference away games (5-19 from 3)...

Diabate is a beast...He's not a great outside shooter (yet) but inside, he's a 6'11 athletic kid with great hops...I'd imagine Race gets him...

As long as we don't have a big letdown, I like our chances here...Michigan was way overrated at the beginning of the year, but they are still a good team...depth has been shortened by illness/injury...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think XJ will get Eli Brooks...Brooks is tons more dangerous than DeVante Jones...

Last year,, Dickinson had 13 points and 7 boards against us, and Trayce had one of his worst games of the year...But it wasn't Dickinson that hurt us...It was Wagner, Mike Smith, and especially Livers...and they aren't there anymore...

They do have 2 talented freshmen in Moussa Diabate and Caleb Houstan...Houstan is a shooter and can drive it, but I actually like Miller Kopp matchup on him...he's not been good shooting it in conference away games (5-19 from 3)...

Diabate is a beast...He's not a great outside shooter (yet) but inside, he's a 6'11 athletic kid with great hops...I'd imagine Race gets him...

As long as we don't have a big letdown, I like our chances here...Michigan was way overrated at the beginning of the year, but they are still a good team...depth has been shortened by illness/injury...

What are your thoughts on Galloway getting a start after how he has played recently?  I don't think it happens, but maybe him for Kopp?

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What are your thoughts on Galloway getting a start after how he has played recently?  I don't think it happens, but maybe him for Kopp?

Coach Woodson is kinda set in his ways...In the post game one of the questions was whether he thought about making a change to the lineup at halftime  (I think the question was about Rob...maybe Galloway) but he said it never even crossed his mind, and he liked the defensive effort from Stewart and Kopp...

I use to think he was just stubborn...But, as I said, I'm through second guessing him...he knows way more about what's going on with the team and basketball in general than I ever will...so, In Woody I Trust...

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy :)  

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson is kinda set in his ways...In the post game one of the questions was whether he thought about making a change to the lineup (I think the question was about Rob...maybe Galloway) but he said it never even crossed his mind, and he liked the defensive effort from Stewart and Kopp...

I use to think he was just stubborn...But, as I said, I'm through second guessing him...he knows way more about what's going on with the team and basketball in general...so, In Woody I Trust...

We have a lot of balance with the way things are operating right now. We have played pretty darn well these last 5 games. 3min lapse in the first half against Iowa from being 5-0 in those games. 

• Like 5

If IU can maintain the defensive intensity and cut down on the fouls, especially some of the silly ones we see from X and Parker, it will be hard to beat them at home. You anticipate some fouls because they are challenging everything but it really shows up when X, Parker, or as we saw last night with TJD, get into foul trouble and spend significant amounts of time on the bench. 

27 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Galloway my actually be more valuable off the bench.  The important thing is that he played the last 12 minutes of the game.  Woodson recognized that Trey needed to be on the floor at crunch time.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Galloway my actually be more valuable off the bench.  The important thing is that he played the last 12 minutes of the game.  Woodson recognized that Trey needed to be on the floor at crunch time.

Yep, he played the last 12 mins of each half. I think he is a slight upgrade over Kopp in the starting lineup, but when the bench is in, if you compare TG vs. Kopp.... TG is soooo much more valuable. 

Kopp can stand in a corner when we have our starters in and be our 5th option and never really "hurt" you. When the 2nd unit is in and then when we go our defensive group (TG, RP, and XJ)... TG is used as a creator/finisher/do it all type player, that Kopp simply does not have the ability of doing. I think it would be a mistake to change anything, as well as we are playing, currently. I mean, we did just come off a game where NO ONE but TJD had a turnover. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I just wanted him on Ivy a whole lot sooner in the second half. He scored whenever he wanted without Trey on him!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson is kinda set in his ways...In the post game one of the questions was whether he thought about making a change to the lineup at halftime  (I think the question was about Rob...maybe Galloway) but he said it never even crossed his mind, and he liked the defensive effort from Stewart and Kopp...

I use to think he was just stubborn...But, as I said, I'm through second guessing him...he knows way more about what's going on with the team and basketball in general than I ever will...so, In Woody I Trust...

I worry more who is on the floor to finish games etc. I DO wish he might have brought those two back a little quicker in the second half. Last thing you want is to mess up the roles too much. Sure that might be our best lineup and we might try to get to it more often and for longer stretches but maybe what works is letting those guys come off the bench and giving them a role they feel comfortable with. We don't want to mess up their game just so we can say we are starting them. If it ain't broke don't fix it I would say is probably Woody's thought on it. What we need to do is find a way to make the starters we DO have be more efficient...find ways to get Kopp and Stewart some good looks early to maybe get them rolling a bit. Can't argue we start games way too slowly...and we have not started second halves very well (giving up double digit leads consistently out the gate). To me...I'm not changing what is working with Rob and Trey...I'm finding ways to improve what we have with Kopp and Stewart...because their shot making are going to be vitally important the rest of the year.

• Like 2

I'm starting to think a lot of you have one very specific way a roster should be managed in your mind and it wouldn't matter who was coach, you'd complain if it wasn't done in that exact way. 

At any rate, this is a game we should win and need to win. We can really put ourselves in a great position in this upcoming 5 game stretch that is full of games we should win. I expect a big game from TJD, and to see Rob and X continue to build on their stellar play. 

• Like 3

No doubt CMW has a plan, and knows way more than some of us (incl me). But I'm frustrated that we seem to always start slow, dig ourselves into a hole because Kopp & Stewart are not excellent 2 way players and often get beat on defense. Then the calvary has to come in off the bench and save the day.

However, I have to give credit to Kopp for a great defensive game against PUke. He did a number on Stefanovich. But was a goose egg on the stat sheet. I'll still take Galloway over Kopp or Stewart as a starter. More energy, moves the ball better, plays good D, and has active hands. Maybe we wouldn't start out slow as we have for many games.

But if CMW ways keep us winning....I can live with that.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

No doubt CMW has a plan, and knows way more than some of us (incl me). But I'm frustrated that we seem to always start slow, dig ourselves into a hole because Kopp & Stewart are not excellent 2 way players and often get beat on defense. Then the calvary has to come in off the bench and save the day.

However, I have to give credit to Kopp for a great defensive game against PUke. He did a number on Stefanovich. But was a goose egg on the stat sheet. I'll still take Galloway over Kopp or Stewart as a starter. More energy, moves the ball better, plays good D, and has active hands. Maybe we wouldn't start out slow as we have for many games.

I agree.  It's very frustrating to watch Galloway and crew come in and bust ass, get a lead. Then coach loses the lead by inserting guys who can't physically guard certain match-up. . Love Woodson and how it's going,, but this is an issue that Ray Charles can see.

• Confused 2

Just now, DWB said:

However, I have to give credit to Kopp for a great defensive game against PUke. He did a number on Stefanovich. But was a goose egg on the stat sheet. I'll still take Galloway over Kopp or Stewart as a starter. More energy, moves the ball better, plays good D, and has active hands. Maybe we would start out slow as we have for many games.

I think we have seen 2 games where the bench saved the day. But the bolded statement is in stark contrast to what "the board" said all last week and much of this week. When else have we seen the starters be behind like this and the bench come in and save the day? I think it was the NEB game earlier in the year when they really got us going. I can't think of a time other than that game and the one last night. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree.  It's very frustrating to watch Galloway and crew come in and bust ass, get a lead. Then coach loses the lead by inserting guys who can't physically guard certain match-up. . Love Woodson and how it's going,, but this is an issue that Ray Charles can see.

What games? When did this happen? Other than last night and against NEB. 

15 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I have the same feeling at times, but I am leaning more and more to that Coach is playing chess while we are playing checkers.

There is no question we lose the game last night if Coach had not done some "strange subbing" that a lot of us complained about earlier in the season. His goal is the tournament and winning some games there. 

I remember Knight blowing early season games to prove a point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why are we making a big deal about who is a 'starter'?  The bottom line is the guys playing the best should play the most.  That's what happened last night.  

Rob and Galloway were on the court during crunch time, not Stewart or Kopp.  Nobody is going to play 40 minutes, so I ask you.  Given the way the game went last night, are we satisfied those two were on the floor at the end, or is it that important that we call them 'starters'.

If Galloway starts the game or 2nd half guarding Ivey, maybe he is in foul trouble and cant be aggressive at end of game.  Maybe if Rob starts out against Purdue's first unit, his early shots are more contested, he misses them, and he does not have his confidence build.

For those that are still hoping for a lineup change, please explain to me WHY that is so important.  And, always starting the best 5 is NOT a valid reason. 

It's all about matchups and being one step ahead of the opposing coach with your situational substitutions.  Having Rob, Trey, and Geronimo coming off our bench works to our advantage.  It's plain as day to me and I'm surprised not everyone can see it understand that.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why are we making a big deal about who is a 'starter'?  The bottom line is the guys playing the best should play the most.  That's what happened last night.  

Rob and Galloway were on the court during crunch time, not Stewart or Kopp.  Nobody is going to play 40 minutes, so I ask you.  Given the way the game went last night, are we satisfied those two were on the floor at the end, or is it that important that we call them 'starters'.

If Galloway starts the game or 2nd half guarding Ivey, maybe he is in foul trouble and cant be aggressive at end of game.  Maybe if Rob starts out against Purdue's first unit, his early shots are more contested, he misses them, and he does not have his confidence build.

For those that are still hoping for a lineup change, please explain to me WHY that is so important.  And, always starting the best 5 is NOT a valid reason. 

It's all about matchups and being one step ahead of the opposing coach with your situational substitutions.  Having Rob, Trey, and Geronimo coming off our bench works to our advantage.  It's plain as day to me and I'm surprised not everyone can see it understand that.

And again.. everyone is going to look fine playing with TJD. (Kopp), but TG can get his own on his own. He doesn't necessarily need TJD for that. Stewart and Kopp need more help to succeed, but they offer a skill set, generally, that the other don't have. 

I, too, am floored we are still having this discussion. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4