Michigan pre game

Hoosierfan1901

1 minute ago, ba43056 said:

I believe that your best 5 should be what you start the game with and the best 5 from the first half should be what starts the second half. 

I'm not sure why we are hoping that we can get the best out of Kopp and Stewart so that we can put off as long as possible having our best group on the floor. 

Perhaps Rob and Galloway both prefer to come off the bench. 

Apparently, Mike Woodson and Dane Fife disagree. 

• Like 1

The entire bench played from about the 1230 mark in the first half to the 5min mark in the 1st half. 7-7.5 mins of only the subs. 

They came in down 16-8 and when XJ came back in at the 5 min mark it was 24-24. We outscored them 16-8 with our 5 subs, in 7 mins. 

Edited by btownqb

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Galloway is the straw that makes the 2nd unit work.  The difference between how that unit performed when he was out injured and how it is performing now is significant.  

If you swap Galloway with Kopp, the 2nd unit has no movement and nobody that can break down the defense.

Yeah if you take Galloway out of the second unit and put Kopp there you take all energy out of it and you will be forcing Miller to do more then he should. It's not always important who starts the game, it is more important who finishes it.

• Like 1

The posts about constant lineup changes don't take into account that athletes are creatures of habit and routine. 

Basketball players are more comfortable and prefer to have a sense of what their role is going to be within games and long term. 

Take Galloway, I'm sure he'd love to be a starter, but I'd also be surprised if he had any interest in starting sometimes and not others, sometimes starting the 2nd half and sometimes not. That's just one player example, but you get the point. 

Players don't want to have their roles constantly changing, especially when we're 14-4 and have had a chance to win each game we've lost. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Bustout said:

I think it’s as simple as Coach just wanting the most experience starting the game.  With that thinking, he’d add Rob and take someone out.  

I think a lot of coaches would’ve started Rob in the 2nd half last night, but he’s sticking to his starters - I’m thinking primarily bc of experience. 

What coach do you think regularly changes their lineup at halftime?

How would you feel if your role at work was constantly changing on a week to week basis? Would that help you perform better?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What coach do you think regularly changes their lineup at halftime?

How would you feel if your role at work was constantly changing on a week to week basis? Would that help you perform better?

I think after last nights 1st half performance, some coaches would’ve started in the second half.   He put in 18, was rebounding well and defending.  I’m sure he was tempted.  

sitting behind a desk is a lot different than a 20 min half of b-ball, but I understand your point.   It would have to take an exceptional performance- which Rob was last night.    I haven’t studied Pitino, Cal, Few, Drew, Pearl, etc half time substitution patterns, but I’m guessing one of them would’ve started Rob in second half.   Maybe I’m wrong. 

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I think after last nights 1st half performance, some coaches would’ve started in the second half.   He put in 18, was rebounding well and defending.  I’m sure he was tempted.  

sitting behind a desk is a lot different than a 20 min half of b-ball, but I understand your point.   It would have to take an exceptional performance- which Rob was last night.    I haven’t studied Pitino, Cal, Few, Drew, Pearl, etc half time substitution patterns, but I’m guessing one of them would’ve started Rob in second half.   Maybe I’m wrong. 

But what we've been trying to say is... it's not that important, either way. We just played our best 5 games, consecutively, since Crean. 🤷‍♂️ 

Maybe, Woodson is doing it right? Idk. All I'm saying, it's not a huge deal. Being comfortable in a role is a good thing, though. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But what we've been trying to say is... it's not that important, either way. We just played our best 5 games, consecutively, since Crean. 🤷‍♂️ 

Maybe, Woodson is doing it right? Idk. All I'm saying, it's not a huge deal. Being comfortable in a role is a good thing, though. 

100% agree. My point was - I think Coach starts his starters both halves and those guys were primarily selected based from total collective experience (hence why guys like TG are not starting).  

anyway, IU wins last night. Illannoy loses today.    Let’s keep it going!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

100% agree. My point was - I think Coach starts his starters both halves and those guys were primarily selected based from total collective experience (hence why guys like TG are not starting).  

anyway, IU wins last night. Illannoy loses today.    Let’s keep it going!

For sure! Wow Sunday is big!

So, again the B1G chooses to schedule a game to go up against the NFL playoffs. I will be recording the IU game and hopefully watching an Hoosier victory after football is over😡

Rant over… what a change that the argument is who CMW should be playing v can we stop this or that player. Really, the takeaway should be that we have enough talent, regardless of starters or the B-team, that we can be competitive. Last night exemplified that. 

Give me guys who bleed cream and crimson and I will rest assured that they are playing their hearts out for Old IU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, again the B1G chooses to schedule a game to go up against the NFL playoffs. I will be recording the IU game and hopefully watching an Hoosier victory after football is over😡

Rant over… what a change that the argument is who CMW should be playing v can we stop this or that player. Really, the takeaway should be that we have enough talent, regardless of starters or the B-team, that we can be competitive. Last night exemplified that. 

Give me guys who bleed cream and crimson and I will rest assured that they are playing their hearts out for Old IU.

Listen, I hadn't thought about the NFL problem until now. 🤦‍♂️😪😪

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Since my team is not in the playoffs this is an easy choice, watch the Hoosiers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NaplesHoosier said:

We must stay hungry for Michigan. No let downs.  Play tough. Be tough.  Galloway should’ve clocked Ivey after getting basically thrown to the floor.  What do you think Xavier would have done if Ivey did that to him?  Lol. Ivey still might not be walking!

Looked like Xaiver wanted a piece of him after Ivey tried going after Race after that hard foul.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm starting to think a lot of you have one very specific way a roster should be managed in your mind and it wouldn't matter who was coach, you'd complain if it wasn't done in that exact way. 

At any rate, this is a game we should win and need to win. We can really put ourselves in a great position in this upcoming 5 game stretch that is full of games we should win. I expect a big game from TJD, and to see Rob and X continue to build on their stellar play. 

If we went 5-0 over the next 5, I would be on cloud 9.

Edit to add:  if we did that there is a real conceivable road to finishing 13-7 or 14-6 in conference and I think you would be looking at a pretty solid tournament seed.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Juwan Howard started out with Diabate on Trayce, and Dickinson on Race...

Diabate is raw, but he's the kind of defender Trayce has had trouble with in the past...a long 6'11 with defensive skills...

Makes sense for them although I'd run the O through Race then. Nice to have some solid post options!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NaplesHoosier said:

We must stay hungry for Michigan. No let downs.  Play tough. Be tough.  Galloway should’ve clocked Ivey after getting basically thrown to the floor.  What do you think Xavier would have done if Ivey did that to him?  Lol. Ivey still might not be walking!

Easy...Xavier would have gotten himself thrown out of the game. Now how beneficial would that have been?  Trey's response was perfect.  Got up and gave Ivey a dismissive look.  Then stayed in his shirt defending him when he was put back on Ivey.  "I'm not going away or being intimidated by your crap, dude..."

Perfect response...much better than retaliating and getting tossed.

• Like 5