Michigan pre game

Hoosierfan1901

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

At the beginning of the year, I thought that Michigan was ranked too high because the "experts" were expecting Diabate, Houstan, and Jones to be equal to Livers, Wagner, and Smith, and they're not...You can't count on freshmen to make up for that loss of experience...

Houstan and Diabate are going to be really good college players if they stick around long enough...But it takes time...

Agreed. As Forrest would say "Starting a bunch of freshmen is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're gonna get."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Easy...Xavier would have gotten himself thrown out of the game. Now how beneficial would that have been?  Trey's response was perfect.  Got up and gave Ivey a dismissive look.  Then stayed in his shirt defending him when he was put back on Ivey.  "I'm not going away or being intimidated by your crap, dude..."

Perfect response...much better than retaliating and getting tossed.

Ivey should have been tossed!

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Had to go to OT twice.

No doubt.  I remember how stressed out my dad was during the second Michigan game at Assembly Hall.  They were damned lucky to win that one.

Without question, fortune smiled on the Hoosiers a couple of times that season but they were a damned fine well coached team and it's just awesome to be able to rub that undefeated season in Kensucky's fans' faces, especially when Kensucky had a golden opportunity to beat IU in Lexington..

Just now, NaplesHoosier said:

Ivey should have been tossed!

Eh maybe.  It wasn't a punch and didn't result in punches.  He deserved the flagrant, but rest assured if he'd been tossed, that would have given Turdue fans a legitimate gripe to question how good a win it really was.  With Ivey staying in and going off in the 2nd half, that made the win that much sweeter.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

No doubt.  I remember how stressed out my dad was during the second Michigan game at Assembly Hall.  They were damned lucky to win that one.

Without question, fortune smiled on the Hoosiers a couple of times that season but they were a damned fine well coached team and it's just awesome to be able to rub that undefeated season in Kensucky's fans' faces, especially when Kensucky had a golden opportunity to beat IU in Lexington..

But for a team with the future NBA talent they had and the great Bob Knight at head coach, you really question a lot given the high number of turnovers. It’s just unacceptable and honestly, we should stop feeling pride in that team. :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, KoB2011 said:

But for a team with the future NBA talent they had and the great Bob Knight at head coach, you really question a lot given the high number of turnovers. It’s just unacceptable and honestly, we should stop feeling pride in that team. :coffee:

It honestly is interesting that they averaged almost 17 a game.  Definitely a different era where turnovers didn't seem to matter as much as they do today.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

It honestly is interesting that they averaged almost 17 a game.  Definitely a different era where turnovers didn't seem to matter as much as they do today.

For sure. It shows me two things - the game has evolved and even one of the greatest teams ever was not without flaws.

I think some of us tend to hyper focus on things we could do better, even in games we win, and the turnover stat from ‘76 just puts it into perspective for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

For sure. It shows me two things - the game has evolved and even one of the greatest teams ever was not without flaws.

I think some of us tend to hyper focus on things we could do better, even in games we win, and the turnover stat from ‘76 just puts it into perspective for me. 

It's a surprising stat for a lot of reasons.  I'm probably most surprised because it seems like the defense is a lot stouter today at least partially because a lot more fouling is allowed today and partially due to the emphasis on recruiting long athletic defenders who are naturally better at putting defensive pressure on the other team.

No question, IU has some fans who aren't happy unless they are unhappy (here's looking at you, Eyeore), but I'm very satisfied to legitimately beat Turdue and end that streak, regardless of it being an imperfect game.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's a surprising stat for a lot of reasons.  I'm probably most surprised because it seems like the defense is a lot stouter today at least partially because a lot more fouling is allowed today and partially due to the emphasis on recruiting long athletic defenders who are naturally better at putting defensive pressure on the other team.

No question, IU has some fans who aren't happy unless they are unhappy (here's looking at you, Eyeore), but I'm very satisfied to legitimately beat Turdue and end that streak, regardless of it being an imperfect game.

I completely agree. We are about a 5 minute cumulative stretch from being undefeated in Year 1 of Woody. I am ecstatic with this team, this coach, and our direction. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Also have to remember that back then the refs actually called the game by the rules set for basketball.  They actually called traveling, palming the ball and 3 seconds.

• Like 1

All I know is my Dad and I use to go to the Moose Lodge in Martinsville to watch IU basketball games sometimes, and IU fans beeyotched about the players on the 75 and 76 teams just as we do today...They second guessed RMK all the time...said Buckner should sit because he couldn't shoot, and said Benson was slow and couldn't jump...

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All I know is my Dad and I use to go to the Moose Lodge in Martinsville to watch IU basketball games sometimes, and IU fans beeyotched about the players on the 75 and 76 teams just as we do today...They second guessed RMK all the time...said Buckner should sit because he couldn't shoot, and said Benson was slow and couldn't jump...

Buckner only played 24 MPG on that team. Really stupid how much Knight would take out a guy like that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If fans could coach the team, not only would IU be unbeaten every year, they would be unscored upon.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Buckner only played 24 MPG on that team. Really stupid how much Knight would take out a guy like that. 

I don't think just using mpg is always a way to have playing time.  We had a lot of blowouts so that would cut down on mpg.  I would look at the games that were closer and see how much players at.  I know your comments are tongue in cheek

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

If fans could coach the team, not only would IU be unbeaten every year, they would be unscored upon.  

To be honest, they beeyotched about Martinsville native John Wooden's coaching too...and he was in the midst of winning 88 in a row and had 4 undefeated teams in 9 years...Sam Gilbert not withstanding ;) 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To be honest, they beeyotched about Martinsville native John Wooden's coaching too...and he was in the midst of winning 88 in a row and had 4 undefeated teams in 9 years...Sam Gilbert not withstanding ;) 

Could you imagine if there were message boards and social media in 80-81 season.  When we got off to a 7-5 start and losing to Texas Pan American.  Also how the fans would have been getting on Turner for not playing up to his potential.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Could you imagine if there were message boards and social media in 80-81 season.  When we got off to a 7-5 start and losing to Texas Pan American.  Also how the fans would have been getting on Turner for not playing up to his potential.

Social media was the barber shop back then...Just like in "Hoosiers."

Sam Alford was Martinsville's basketball coach in 75, and did pretty well...But about half the town hated him...

Edited by IUFLA

On 1/21/2022 at 10:56 AM, Euroclydon said:

If IU can maintain the defensive intensity and cut down on the fouls, especially some of the silly ones we see from X and Parker, it will be hard to beat them at home. You anticipate some fouls because they are challenging everything but it really shows up when X, Parker, or as we saw last night with TJD, get into foul trouble and spend significant amounts of time on the bench. 

I remember an article about the '76 team where another team's scout said that Buckner and Wilkerson were fouling constantly but the officials couldn't call everything so they got away with it. While Rob and X aren't at that level, I like that they are getting that kind of reputation.

• Like 1