Michigan pre game

Hoosierfan1901

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

20 years ago next month we had a Sunday game vs Illinois where we rained 3's all day long and was the catalyst to the rest of the season and tourney. Wouldn't mind a game like that today where it's nice and easy and fun to watch the entire game while keeping an eye on Rams/Bucs.

It would be nice to see IU get back on track with their 3's, the last couple of games have been a struggle shooting them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

IU is the crown jewel basketball program of the Big Ten. Full Stop. We have got to find a way to win this game in order to take the next step as a team/program. 

Yeah this is true, even though other B1G fans don't want to admit it when the Hoosiers are at the top, ratings are better, attendance for their games when  IU visits is usually better. Just look at the game the other day, it was the highest rated college basketball game ever on FS1 and before that the 2020 MSU vs IU was the highest ever. 👍

• Like 5

I think some of you are putting g too much value on this game.

I do not see it as a must win, rather it would be a big win. 

It would not wipe away anything from crushing Purdue. It would not make us unlikely to make the tournament. It would not drastically change our conference standing.

It is important to feel like we are moving forward, not just a few good games.

A loss would suck. A win would be very encouraging.

But Michigan is very talented, a loss is not disastrous. But would suck.

• Like 6

Stat of the day...Caleb Houstan's 3 point numbers, home, away, and neutral...

Screenshot_20220123-100020.png.49880c834c80cc5fd2f6df7d081e7570.png

Big discrepancy eh? And I guarantee you Houstan has seen nothing compared to a wound up Indiana crowd...

Dickinson will get his 16...I think Kopp will draw Houstan, and XJ will guard Brooks. Both play D like they did last game and I think we're in good shape...

Both of Michigan's back up guards are freshmen too (Kobe Bufkin and Frankie Collins)...hopefully our experienced backcourt and the atmosphere at SSAH can carry the day...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

It would not wipe away anything from crushing Purdue. It would not make us unlikely to make the tournament. It would not drastically change our conference standing.

I get your perspective and while it wouldn't be the end of the world, we know we are going to lose nearly all of our road games in conference.  If we lose a home game to anyone other than one of the teams ahead of us in the rankings, it would definitely suck, but I also think it would be pretty rough on our goals for the season.  As one of the other posters said, we've had these moments in the past where we get a big, maybe even unexpected win, but then turn around and lose one that we thought we should win.  Clearly the program is headed in the right direction, but it's a little early to think that we have turned the corner and we are back to glory until we can show some consistency.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stat of the day...Caleb Houstan's 3 point numbers, home, away, and neutral...

Screenshot_20220123-100020.png.49880c834c80cc5fd2f6df7d081e7570.png

Big discrepancy eh? And I guarantee you Houstan has seen nothing compared to a wound up Indiana crowd...

Dickinson will get his 16...I think Kopp will draw Houstan, and XJ will guard Brooks. Both play D like they did last game and I think we're in good shape...

Both of Michigan's back up guards are freshmen too (Kobe Bufkin and Frankie Collins)...hopefully our experienced backcourt and the atmosphere at SSAH can carry the day...

He is also shooting .333 (9 of 27) in conference too for 3s 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I get your perspective and while it wouldn't be the end of the world, we know we are going to lose nearly all of our road games in conference.  If we lose a home game to anyone other than one of the teams ahead of us in the rankings, it would definitely suck, but I also think it would be pretty rough on our goals for the season.  As one of the other posters said, we've had these moments in the past where we get a big, maybe even unexpected win, but then turn around and lose one that we thought we should win.  Clearly the program is headed in the right direction, but it's a little early to think that we have turned the corner and we are back to glory until we can show some consistency.  

I do not disagree. But even though they have struggled,  Michigan is uber talented. It is not like nebraska is coming to town.

Agreed, a loss hurts our season hopes and goals. 

But long term, where we are going, making the tournament etc... it's just a game imo.

One I want to win badly!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I hear what you're saying, and you're not wrong. With a loss the season is not over, tournament hopes are not gone, etc.

But this is a huge game for momentum, for the health of the program, and more. Especially with how the schedule is laid out, there is a big difference between 6-3 and 5-4 in the conference. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying, and you're not wrong. With a loss the season is not over, tournament hopes are not gone, etc.

But this is a huge game for momentum, for the health of the program, and more. Especially with how the schedule is laid out, there is a big difference between 6-3 and 5-4 in the conference. 

100%.

I am referencing those that call it a must win or indicate a loss wipes out all the progress and good feelings about the Purdue win.

Important game for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He is also shooting .333 (9 of 27) in conference too for 3s 

True, but again, home vs road in conference...

He's 4-8 at home (50%) and 5-19 (26%) on the road, and that includes a 4-7 effort at Lincoln vs the Huskers...in 2 of the more hostile environments in the Big 10 (Rutgers and Illinois) he was 1-12...

• Like 1

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

100%.

I am referencing those that call it a must win or indicate a loss wipes out all the progress and good feelings about the Purdue win.

Important game for sure. 

Yeah, you're right. Honestly, I think the fans need this win even more than the actual program/team need it. 

We've sort of psychologically made this a huge game and put even more importance on it then is already there just because of the one step forward two steps back we've experienced the last 5-10 years. 

As fans we want to feel "IU is back" and this game, following the Purdue win, would go a long way for us fans to feel that way. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I do not disagree. But even though they have struggled,  Michigan is uber talented. It is not like nebraska is coming to town.

Agreed, a loss hurts our season hopes and goals. 

But long term, where we are going, making the tournament etc... it's just a game imo.

One I want to win badly!

Yeah.  Unfortunately we're clearly not playing a bad team today.  Just a very winnable game compared to most on our schedule.  I'm nervous as can be.  

• Like 2

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

Yeah.  Unfortunately we're clearly not playing a bad team today.  Just a very winnable game compared to most on our schedule.  I'm nervous as can be.  

Someone said it earlier, maybe it was you, I can't remember, but I'm more nervous about this game then I was Thursday's. 

I’m nervous about this one. Sunday afternoon game after a big win against a team that has immense levels of talent while underachieving so far. Feels like a recipe for disaster, but I’m hoping this IU squad can show that things are different now and come out strong. 

On a personal level, my wife went to Michigan, my father-in-law went to Michigan, and that entire side of the family roots for Michigan. A win here would be very very enjoyable. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I think it’s more a ‘defining’ game in the eyes of fans who are understandably impatient. Are we going to get over that hump or are we the same team that can beat MSU at home and then out flat the next week. The next 3 games, which are all very winnable, will be defining. 

• Like 3

Last year, Michigan shot the 3 ball at 40% as a team in conference play (2nd in the Big 10)...

This year they're shooting it at 32% (11th in the Big 10)

It's not that I don't think they're talented, but their talent is young and while the potential is enormous, they're not there yet...

And I know a lot of people on here think a top 5 finish would be awesome (I do too) but every time I hear Coach Woody talk, I think he has bigger goals in mind...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

On a personal level, my wife went to Michigan, my father-in-law went to Michigan, and that entire side of the family roots for Michigan. A win here would be very very enjoyable. 

My brother-in-law and his family are all from Michigan and big Wolverines fans and can be very obnoxious at times, so anytime they lose I am happy. 👍

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Don’t forget Penn St is up next, and we’re likely 16-4 and 7-3 in conference after that game, if we win today. Make no mistake, this is a big game, but aren’t they all?

• Like 1

A loss today does a couple of negative things:

1. It kills the intensity of "not losing at home"
  2. Makes it really difficult to keep climbing the ladder in the conf to compete for the B1G title.

Both of these are major goals for CMW, that he has said publicly many times. I gotta believe the guys will be ready to play, esp with the home crowd.

• Like 5

CMW says nobody come in here and wins on this floor.

Unlike typical Indiana years of the past 25+ where IU knocks off a ranked Michigan State to then lose to Fort Wayne or something silly, I think the confidence from Thursdays win carry’s over on this one. At least I hope so.

A loss to a down Michigan team at home would suggest same ol same ol.

Im going with IU by 12 in this one.

• Like 4