Michigan pre game

Hoosierfan1901

21 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why are we making a big deal about who is a 'starter'?  The bottom line is the guys playing the best should play the most.  That's what happened last night.  

Rob and Galloway were on the court during crunch time, not Stewart or Kopp.  Nobody is going to play 40 minutes, so I ask you.  Given the way the game went last night, are we satisfied those two were on the floor at the end, or is it that important that we call them 'starters'.

If Galloway starts the game or 2nd half guarding Ivey, maybe he is in foul trouble and cant be aggressive at end of game.  Maybe if Rob starts out against Purdue's first unit, his early shots are more contested, he misses them, and he does not have his confidence build.

For those that are still hoping for a lineup change, please explain to me WHY that is so important.  And, always starting the best 5 is NOT a valid reason. 

It's all about matchups and being one step ahead of the opposing coach with your situational substitutions.  Having Rob, Trey, and Geronimo coming off our bench works to our advantage.  It's plain as day to me and I'm surprised not everyone can see it understand that.

Starters matter.  I told everyone on the Rivals board that Woody was making a massive mistake if he started both TJD and Race against Purdue.  I said that TJD would pick up 2 quick fouls on Edey and that's exactly what happened.  Should've started TJD and Durr.

I love Woody but this isn't the NBA.  Matchups matter and you can't play everyone the same.  He needs to learn that quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

What’s scary about Michigan is this will easily be one of the most talented teams we play.

Not sure what exactly has gone wrong in Ann Arbor, but talent isn’t the issue.

Probably youth, maybe chemistry and perhaps Howard isn't quite as good as we thought he was, although as good as he started, I'd give him one poor season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Starters matter.  I told everyone on the Rivals board that Woody was making a massive mistake if he started both TJD and Race against Purdue.  I said that TJD would pick up 2 quick fouls on Edey and that's exactly what happened.  Should've started TJD and Durr.

I love Woody but this isn't the NBA.  Matchups matter and you can't play everyone the same.  He needs to learn that quickly. 

Woodson disagrees. Woodson also won the game, so there’s that.

• Like 9

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Probably youth, maybe chemistry and perhaps Howard isn't quite as good as we thought he was, although as good as he started, I'd give him one poor season.

I agree...as far as Juwan Howard goes last year was the anomaly...he was 19-12 and 10-10 his first season

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Doesn't Thursday's results say differently? 

The bench played more than the starters, and we did win...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We won the game.  For that very reason alone, it was not a 'massive mistake'.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

When have you ever seen a coach bench one of his two leading scorers/best players in a huge game because of "matchups"?

Seriously, has that ever happened?

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm really glad I don't post on Rivals. Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Painter brings one of his 2 best bigs off the bench.  Trevion is probably their 2nd best player.

But that is there regular rotation. Trevion doesn't get yanked in and out of the starting lineup, he always comes off the bench. 

Any other examples?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've always been told you start your 5 best players. 

Same. 

But even if you don't, I'm curious what teams many of our posters are watching where the coaches are constantly switching starters game-to-game and half-to-half? 

I watch a lot of basketball (youth, high school, college, NBA) and I'm not seeing this happen, like hardly ever. So, why are we acting like Woodson is some stubborn moron for not doing it?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

When have you ever seen a coach bench one of his two leading scorers/best players in a huge game because of "matchups"?

Seriously, has that ever happened?

I think the poster you are responding to is upset that we are winning.  It goes against his agenda that everything IU sucks 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Because Rob and XJ played out of their minds.  Don't bet on that happening again.

I have no doubt you are an IU fan, and passionate about it.  I've defended you in the past when you've been negative, because deep down I knew Crean had limitations and Archie was just not good.

But, dude, this is our biggest win in a long, long, time, and its just not the right time to be negative.  We have one of our own at the helm, and a roster full of players who are easy to like.

It wont be perfect.  Not every game.  Even '76 wasn't even though our record said so.  Embrace the fact we are headed in the right direction and enjoy moments like this instead of focusing on the negative.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Maybe Howard is becoming stubborn/headstrong/cocky and not listening to him? Just a guess as I honestly haven't watched them play this season.

At the beginning of the year, I thought that Michigan was ranked too high because the "experts" were expecting Diabate, Houstan, and Jones to be equal to Livers, Wagner, and Smith, and they're not...You can't count on freshmen to make up for that loss of experience...

Houstan and Diabate are going to be really good college players if they stick around long enough...But it takes time...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2