Storming the Court

My thoughts on this.  Initially i was like this is stupid, its a 4th ranked team and yeah its our Rival, but we are IU and we doesn't do that.

But i thought more about it over the last 1 minute and decided to think about it from the students standpoint.
Most if not all of these kids (students) have never seen us beat a #1.  Never been Ranked #1.  Have never had an opportunity to celebrate a great/HUGE win at Assembly Hall.  Have never beaten Purdue in Basketball.  Have never had any reason to be excited about IU basketball

Because of all of this, WHY NOT STORM THE COURT.  WHY NOT CELEBRATE WITH THE TEAM AND COACH!!  WHY NOT TREAT IT LIKE IT WAS SOMETHING GREAT.  BECAUSE TO THEM, AND TO US, IT WAS.

Great win, Great Celebration.  Great Court Storming.

The only real down side is that 2 thousand fans surrounded our players with Covid still raging out there.  Hope they all stay healthy and pass their tests.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My thoughts on this.  Initially i was like this is stupid, its a 4th ranked team and yeah its our Rival, but we IU doesn't do that.

But i thought more about it over the last 1 minute and decided to think about it from the students standpoint.
Most if not all of these kids (students) have never seen us beat a #1.  Never been Ranked #1.  Have never had an opportunity to celebrate a great/HUGE win at Assembly Hall.  Have never beaten Purdue in Basketball.  Have never had any reason to be excited about IU basketball

Because of all of this, WHY NOT STORM THE COURT.  WHY NOT CELEBRATE WITH THE TEAM AND COACH!!  WHY NOT TREAT IT LIKE IT WAS SOMETHING GREAT.  BECAUSE TO THEM, AND TO US, IT WAS.

Great win, Great Celebration.  Great Court Storming.

The only real down side is that 2 thousand fans surrounded our players with Covid still raging out there.  Hope they all stay healthy and pass their tests.

That may be the most thought any of us have ever put into a post here on HSN 🤣!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

IU hasn't had a lot to celebrate recently and with the losing streak against the Toiletmakers, fans storming the court was ok in my opinion. That will probably be the last time you see them do it until the Hoosiers win the very last game of the season. 😁

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

My thing is this:

Anyone who pretends they wouldn’t have done the exact same thing if they had been a student last night is almost certainly a liar. We don’t win the game last night without the students who have had next to nothing to celebrate for years. Let them enjoy it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't like it....ever...for anything. It's dangerous and people can jump around just as easily in the stands and the players on the court can be safe. Sportsmanship isn't just reserved for the players. Everyone involved in the game from players to coaches to fans have a responsibility in my opinion. They all can have a big party outside the stadium etc if they want...cool beans but I don't want a player or kid getting hurt running on the court and running over someone or knocking a player down or bumping a player and getting into a fight. It's dumb! That says nothing about the fact that we should expect to win games etc. Why they can't jump up and hug one another and sing songs in the stands?? They dont run on the court for the players.....they run out there and jump up and down at center court to get attention...to take selfies etc...it's very dangerous and very selfish imo. I'd say the same thing if we beat Ohio St in football, Duke in basketball, or the golf team winning a NC and everyone running onto the green. Just my opinion....it isn't becoming of a program like ours might be some reasons people feel that way...but to me it's just dumb because of the dangers of it. You want to step on the court at Assembly Hall...play for IU.

Edited by dgambill

In 1979 I was in my last year as an undergrad. We beat PUke in the finals of the NIT on a last shot by Butch Carter. We weren’t in NYC, but we stormed Showalter Fountain. I was never so happy to be soaking wet in 30 degree weather! 

Have at it students. Enjoy the moment. The old fogeys who want you to “sit down “ don’t matter.

Have fun!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In 1979 I was in my last year as an undergrad. We beat PUke in the finals of the NIT on a last shot by Butch Carter. We weren’t in NYC, but we stormed Showalter Fountain. I was never so happy to be soaking wet in 30 degree weather! 

Have at it students. Enjoy the moment. The old fogeys who want you to “sit down “ don’t matter.

Have fun!

College was the best 7 years of my life. Enjoy it lord knows the past 2 years have not been the normal college experience for these kids.

• Like 2

I've thought about this for a while...

Winning games like this used to be SOP for IU basketball...those of us that witnessed the glory years were use to winning these types of games...the crowd was still very raucous, and SSAH was just as difficult a venue to visit for other teams, especially conference teams...

But even middle aged IU fans weren't a witness to much of that...and the current students have really known nothing but heartache and disappointment with the IU Men's basketball program, even after all of the buildup we older folks give it...

Couple that with it being Purdue and their delusional fan base that thinks that winning streak elevated them to the top spot in Indiana college hoops, and it's kinda an unavoidable occurrence...the sweet eruption of emotions after that victory justifies storming the court...and my old arse woulda been right out there with them...

That said, I would like to return to the days when beating a Purdue, or any other conference rival was just business as usual...Take us home, Coach Woodson...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That said, I would like to return to the days when beating a Purdue, or any other conference rival was just business as usual...Take us home, Coach Woodson...

I was fine with the court storming, but hopefully that is the last time during the season that we do it because we expect to win every game no matter who it is.

• Like 3