Tom Allen calling the defense next year

KDB

26 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Head coaches call the offense all the time and no one bats an eye...why should the defense be any different?

I don't like the HC calling plays on either side of the ball. I think it takes away their attention on the whole game.  I think Frank Reich should give up play calling because he is more worried about the next offensive possession.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't like the HC calling plays on either side of the ball. I think it takes away their attention on the whole game.  I think Frank Reich should give up play calling because he is more worried about the next offensive possession.

This isn't aimed at you Scott, but I couldn't care less about the adolescent horses, or for much of the NFL for that matter.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Bengals, Rams and 49ers all have their HC calling the plays. Seems to have worked out okay for them

• Like 3

I don’t think Allen will call it forever.  He just has a staff who doesn’t know his defense as well as he does.  Wommack knew it so he could call it.  Warren didn’t know it well enough and he’s elsewhere now.  I see what his solution is.  If the new D coordinator learns it quickly, maybe he will call it in a year or two.  

• Like 1

What is the opinion's of calling plays from the sideline. I really feel like the booth gives the best picture of what is going on over the whole field and where you can attack better but I also know plenty of really good coaches calling from the sideline. I suppose if the communication from upstairs down is really good it probably is a moot point. The one thing I think we all need to consider is Coach Allen is very emotional coach...and his players seem to feed off that...how well can he do that (running around and firing people up) while being focused to call the next play. Do we run the risk of losing that emotional spark...or do we get the benefit of what Allen might do best and that is coach defense?