Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

33 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Game adjustments, officiating, starting five, you name it.. None of that was going to matter today. We were hungover from Thursday and they are a super talented team fighting to make up ground. I wasn't surprised to see it and honestly I'm not that upset about it. It's not apathy like I had last year, it's knowing that our staff will use this to teach them. 

For me it is a good sign that  it upset me because it shows that I am back to carrying again.  I watched every game but in last couple of years I wasn't expecting that much so I didn't get upset.  I still don't yell and scream at the TV like I use to but that is because I grew up.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The discussion of how this was our 3rd game in the week and how UM hadn't played since Tuesday got me thinking.  I know with having 14 teams and playing 20 conference games makes it hard to schedule.  Also with 3 different broadcast affiliates to worry about your schedule will not be balance.  It just seems like if you get lucky on who you only play once and when you play people it is a huge advantage.

It use to be so much more fair and balanced when we only had ten teams and played everyone twice.  You really had only one broadcast to worry about because a lot of it was locally televised.  All games were played on Thursdays and Saturdays.  It was also easy for fans to remember the schedule like that plus each team had a travel partner.  So you knew if IU was playing PU on Thursday then on Saturday you were playing Illinois.

Thursday/Saturday!

I think IU had O$U as a travel partner 

Purdue had Illini 

When you played them it was on a Wednesday?  Or am I misremembering 

plus CBS Game of the week with Al McGuire was awesome 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It was the kids he brought in that was the problem and not the phone calls.  It was having drug abusers and pimps on your team, plus the team having like 17 ,F's in the last semester.

Yes…very unfortunate, I was at IU when this all happened….but we haven’t been squeaky clean either the last 14 years. We’re dealing with young adults.

Keep in mind , Sampson also brought in Gordon, Roth, Elston and Pritchard. All high level program guys that bleed Indiana.

Players like Gordon, White and Stemler all have publicly spoken highly of Sampson. Say what you want but DJ and Gordon are 2 of the greatest to don the cream and crimson. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Thursday/Saturday!

I think IU had O$U as a travel partner 

Purdue had Illini 

When you played them it was on a Wednesday?  Or am I misremembering 

plus CBS Game of the week with Al McGuire was awesome 

Back then it was NBC that had the national game. The travel partners if I remember correctly were.

IU/OSU.

PU/UI.

NW/UW.

UM/MSU.

Iowa/Minnesota

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Yes…very unfortunate, I was at IU when this all happened….but we haven’t been squeaky clean either the last 14 years. We’re dealing with young adults.

Keep in mind , Sampson also brought in Gordon, Roth, Elston and Pritchard. All high level program guys that bleed Indiana.

Players like Gordon, White and Stemler all have publicly spoken highly of Sampson. Say what you want but DJ and Gordon are 2 of the greatest to don the cream and crimson. 

DJ or Gordon is not even in tbe top 15 of all time great Hoosiers

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

DJ or Gordon is not even in tbe top 15 of all time great Hoosiers

Ok…maybe top 25? Keep in mind…DJ was both top 10 in program history for both blocks and rebounds.
Regardless, both players were excellent, wore our jerseys with pride and represented our university very well….They are very respected among the Indiana faithful. 

• Like 3

It’s a setback and would have been nice to win. We still have four very winnable games coming up, and if we win 3-4 of them we will be in an incredible spot coming down the stretch.

We are a solid tournament team at this point, which is a big step in Year 1. Anything else is gravy IMO. 

• Like 4

Thank God I couldn’t watch this live. I would expect a letdown like this with a young team, but I’m highly disappointed in an experienced one. Michigan is better than their record, but the defensive effort today was pathetic and unacceptable. And our 3 pt shooting continues to be dreadful. If we aren’t going to make a high percentage of shots we have to be able to play D. Being an IU fan is exhausting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Let said:

My take!  Michigan played out their butt today!!! I don't believe they are that good.  Dickerson was what, 4/4 from three? He won't do that again in his career! Hell, they all shot the ball better than they do! Sometimes it's not in the cards!  Now we need to bounce back.  IU is improving steadily!

That's because teams won't leave him wide open along with most of their shooters for the entire game either.  Its weird that it seem every team we play shoots out their minds on a regular for what, the last 8 years?  Might not be the teams we play, but how we play those teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Back then it was NBC that had the national game. The travel partners if I remember correctly were.

IU/OSU.

PU/UI.

NW/UW.

UM/MSU.

Iowa/Minnesota

It was so great watching Bird, Tripucka, Dr Dunkenstein , Ernie & Bernie…..Hubbard vs IU….Sleepy 

the fact we only got big ten and DePaul games made those Enberg Packer & McGuire games so special 

• Like 1

I gotta quit telling myself that both this team and Rob Phinisee have "turned the corner."

I watched the highlights (of course, couldn't DVR it because of the DISH pissing match) and plan to watch the "In 60" when it's on BTN later tonight, but even on the highlights you could see that we didn't close out well and gave them too many open looks...To let a team score 80 shoot 57% overall and a whopping 65% from 3 is not a normal defensive effort for us...Michigan has talent, and it showed up...Giving a shooter like Houstan good, open looks early bolstered his confidence despite his Big 10 road struggles this year...

I'm not saying the win against Purdue is "Fool's Gold" but until we get more consistent scoring out of our 2 and 3 slots both in the starting lineup and off the bench, we'll have games where we stumble...

Beat Penn State!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I gotta quit telling myself that both this team and Rob Phinisee have "turned the corner."

Landen Turner is an example of someone who turned the corner and a season took off.  The difference is that Turner had elite althletic ability, length and skills.  Rob is still a solid player on this team and he will win games.  However; he needs shots to fall.  

Just thinking- I would of loved to see Green play in this system.  

• Like 2