Stewart and Kopp

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We don’t have similar talent as Wiscy? You think their talent is what won them the second half of our game in Madison?  

No, we don't have as much talent as a team that was 15-2 and ranked 8th before playing against MSU short handed. No I don't think we have much talent as them, especially in December.... if we had a talent advantage it certainly hadn't been developed yet. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Because you are results driven, and for now, that isn't the metric to use. We aren't better then what we have played. If anything, worse. Beating Purdue and OSU were big deals. Now, we do have XJ playing REALLY good basketball right now, so get TG back going... find some new wrinkles for MK and PS and lets roll into the end of the season. 

Giving yourself a chance to win every game doesn't scream inconsistent. 

Is it too much to ask to expect to play a full game? I honestly don't even know what that means because even when we win you guys want lineup/rotation/whatever changes. It's crazy. 

It’s simple. Our halves have been drastically different in a lot of games. Maybe the answer is that we’ve just played above our abilities A LOT of times this year and like you said we’re just not very good. But after so many of those times, when is it okay to call it potential? Or we’ve played below our abilities way too much? 

I want lineup changes, rotation, etc? I’ve rarely chimed in on that conversation. I saw the starting lineup +\- somebody posted recently and if that’s accurate why not change things up? But I’m not one of the people who’ve been all over that. 

18 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So consistently inconsistent is what we’re going with? Every game except Purdue (maybe OSU) we’ve had a mediocre to poor half. No? Is it too much to ask or expect to play a full game? My point is that there is certainly more potential or room for improvement, which is why I don’t understand the satisfaction. Sure, it’s better than last year, so I’m happy with the improvement and the staff, but I also think we’re better than we’ve played most games this year. 

That's not what I said I was going with. We've been in every single game but one (Michigan). 

As far as asking or expecting to play a full game, it depends on what you mean by that or what you're looking for? We played pretty damn well against Ohio State, we led wire-to-wire at Nebraska, we beat Nebraska by 13 at home, we heat Minnesota by 13, we beat the #4 team in the country. 

Did we play perfect in all of those games or in some of the close loses? No, but the other teams are actually trying to play well too. We're not talented enough to just steam roll Big Ten teams regularly. 

We're not talented enough yet or have good enough guard play yet to expect a full 40 minutes of excellent play against Big Ten teams yet. 

We're talented enough to compete and have a chance pretty much every night. We're talented enough and well-coached enough to most likely finish in the top 5-7 of the conference and make the NCAA's. 

There isn't a game the rest of the season where we won't have periods of struggle. You just hope we minimize it and the periods of good play outweigh them. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind our class rankings and individual rankings look great. Just one problem is we have no wings that can make plays individually. We don’t have a guy that can just get a bucket night in night out. That’s what we are missing. We don’t have any 4s that can shoot either. Most  Teams in the B1G do. Really hurts us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No, we don't have as much talent as a team that was 15-2 and ranked 8th before playing against MSU short handed. No I don't think we have much talent as them, especially in December.... if we had a talent advantage it certainly hadn't been developed yet. 

Solely using their record as reasoning doesn’t validate it. They have two really good guards and mediocre support IMO and I think they get the most out of their talent. We don’t yet = potential. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's not what I said I was going with. We've been in every single game but one (Michigan). 

As far as asking or expecting to play a full game, it depends on what you mean by that or what you're looking for? We played pretty damn well against Ohio State, we led wire-to-wire at Nebraska, we beat Nebraska by 13 at home, we heat Minnesota by 13, we beat the #4 team in the country. 

Did we play perfect in all of those games or in some of the close loses? No, but the other teams are actually trying to play well too. We're not talented another to just steam roll Big Ten teams regularly. 

We're not talented enough yet or have good enough guard play yet to expect a full 40 minutes of excellent play against Big Ten teams yet. 

We're talented enough to compete and have a chance pretty much every night. We're talented enough and well-coached enough to most likely finish in the top 5-7 of the conference and make the NCAA's. 

There isn't a game the rest of the season where we won't have periods of struggle. You just hope we minimize it and the periods of good play outweigh them. 

I said OSU and Purdue might be the only two we played full games. The first half of Minny was not good. But you’re saying there’s potential right?? 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Solely using their record as reasoning doesn’t validate it. They have two really good guards and mediocre support IMO and I think they get the most out of their talent. We don’t yet = potential. 

I don’t know who is more talented between IU and Wisconsin, I'd lean toward Wisconsin since they've been by far the better program for 20 years. 

But I will say, in a close game with 5 minutes to go I'll take Johnny Davis over anyone on our roster down the stretch. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No one on the team or staff thought "if we didn't start Kopp and Parker against Michigan we would have won". 

Agree with that but I also don’t think the fans think we would have won with that change.

I’m in the camp of not liking both Kopp and Stewart starting together but lineup changes would not have done much, if anything, vs UM.  A big mystery is UM’s pedestrian record as they have some talent.

Just now, BGleas said:

I don’t know who is more talented between IU and Wisconsin, I'd lean toward Wisconsin since they've been by far the better program for 20 years. 

But I will say, in a close game with 5 minutes to go I'll take Johnny Davis over anyone on our roster down the stretch. 

I would too, but outside of him and the dirty one….. who can they rely on? Nobody. I definitely think we are more talented overall. They just seem to have a habit in place and a coach that recruits the right kids for his style that he gets the most out of. I’m optimistic CMW will get us there. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have beat them in Madison and shouldn’t beat them at our place. 

19 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

Reason they play together early is to hopefully open up the inside. Get the paint going first. Keeps the D honest early. Neither one need to prove they can shoot. Trey can’t…Phin can but he’s 29% so far. That’s why they start. Plus they play pretty good defense. 

I agree that is why they start but on the flip side the team has been getting off to too many slow first and second halves with that lineup. 8 points in 8 minutes to start a game or second half is becoming a bit too common.

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I would too, but outside of him and the dirty one….. who can they rely on? Nobody. I definitely think we are more talented overall. They just seem to have a habit in place and a coach that recruits the right kids for his style that he gets the most out of. I’m optimistic CMW will get us there. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have beat them in Madison and shouldn’t beat them at our place. 

If I was a Wiscy fan I would feel pretty good with either Davis or “the dirty one” having the ball at the end of the game when a bucket is needed. Having 2 guys like that is big.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree that is why they start but on the flip side the team has been getting off to too many slow first and second halves with that lineup. 8 points in 8 minutes to start a game or second half is becoming a bit too common.

How do we know the second team won’t either? We don’t know if the first team struggles with the other teams best. If that’s the case the second team would too. Everything is still speculation. My guess is Woody knows what he’s doing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Well, right off the bat you're saying they can rely on their two starting guards. In college basketball, really any basketball, that is huge and its more then IU can say. 

Wisconsin has a more talented and reliable backcourt.

We're also still dealing with the effects of Archie's roster building, or lack there of. Our recruiting rankings might look better (really just TJD and Bates though), but the pieces still don't fit. 

Thats where Wiscy has the edge and why we shouldn't just expect to sweep them. They've been a machine for 20 years, IU is rebuilding on the fly again. 

The pieces fit for Wisconsin. 

For IU, we still have no bigs that can shoot. No point guards that can shoot consistently. No wing that can "get buckets". IU still has to grind to play really well. 

I know Woodson loves TJD and Race, but there was a reason he came in talking about how critical it is that they develop perimeter shots. I'm pretty positive that going forward he doesn't want two bigs that can't shoot at the same time. 

Yes, we've played consistent enough to be in just about every game. No, we aren't talented enough yet to play consistently great all of the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just looked at some stats, Wiscy's top two scorers shoot 36.5% and 37% from the 3pt line. 

IU's top two scorers shoot 0% and 13.8%. I realize theirs are guards and ours are bigs, but that is a tough way to win in college basketball. 

If one of them could hit at 33-35% it would completely change the offense. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Is this a serious question?  Him and Parker are the best catch and shoot players on the team. 80% and 96% on catch and shoot only. 

I agree. He and Parker are the best shooters on the team. I’m not debating that. But is that saying much? We’re not a great shooting team to begin with. Maybe I should have reworded the good to great. Kopp is not a great shooter…decent? Yes. His overall shooting percentages are in the 30s…including 2s. That’s not great.   As someone pointed out…race is shooting in the teens from deep. 

Edited by Hoosier987

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I agree. He and Parker are the best shooters on the team. I’m not debating that. I should have reworded the good to great. Kopp is not a great shooter…decent? Yes. I also don’t think we have a great shooting team either. As someone pointed out…race is shooting in the teens from deep. 

There's no arguing any of that, basically. We are like 13th 3pt FG%. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I agree. He and Parker are the best shooters on the team. I’m not debating that. But is that saying much? We’re not a great shooting team to begin with. Maybe I should have reworded the good to great. Kopp is not a great shooter…decent? Yes. His overall shooting percentages are in the 30s…including 2s. That’s not great.   As someone pointed out…race is shooting in the teens from deep. 

37-38%  is pretty good for a 3. Parker is elite if he’s catch and shoot. They just don’t get open because our other 2 on the floor are. X and race get most of the open looks. Be a whole different team and discussion if race could hit. Even X is hitting more. 

• Like 1