Stewart and Kopp

9 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

How do we know the second team won’t either? We don’t know if the first team struggles with the other teams best. If that’s the case the second team would too. Everything is still speculation. My guess is Woody knows what he’s doing.

The second team?

I was posting about not starting Kopp and Stewart together but keeping the other 4 starters. There is no way in the world I would want him to start the second team.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It still just baffles me that Stewart and Kopp don't get wide open 3's off of TJD and Race's post ups. 

Not sure who's fault that it is, haven't really keyed in on it, but Illinois got so many wide open 3's off the attention Cockburn gets, and Michigan got a ton of open 3's off the attention Dickerson generated. 

Yet, we have two high scoring bigs, including an AA candidate that plays out of the post, yet we rarely get open 3's for Kopp and Stewart. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It still just baffles me that Stewart and Kopp don't get wide open 3's off of TJD and Race's post ups. 

Not sure who's fault that it is, haven't really keyed in on it, but Illinois got so many wide open 3's off the attention Cockburn gets, and Michigan got a ton of open 3's off the attention Dickerson generated. 

Yet, we have two high scoring bigs, including an AA candidate that plays out of the post, yet we rarely get open 3's for Kopp and Stewart. 

In today’s game at least, when the ball went inside, neither big seemed interested in anything other than going to the hole -in TJD’s case, or shooting a short jumper or jump hook. I don’t think either of them had it in mind to look for an open shooter. 
I don’t know if it’s the way they are being coached to run the offense, but in today’s game there should have been some adjustment made as both guys struggled 

• Like 2

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

In today’s game at least, when the ball went inside, neither big seemed interested in anything other than going to the hole -in TJD’s case, or shooting a short jumper or jump hook. I don’t think either of them had it in mind to look for an open shooter. 
I don’t know if it’s the way they are being coached to run the offense, but in today’s game there should have been some adjustment made as both guys struggled 

Agree. I think for a period in the 2nd half TJD was taking the battle with Cockburn personally, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but he let it impact his game and how he was playing.  

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I think for a period in the 2nd half TJD was taking the battle with Cockburn personally, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but he let it impact his game and how he was playing.  

You mean like when Trent Frazier took his battle with XJ personally? That was definitely not a bad thing for Illinois...

I’d like to see TJD be more of a passer/playmaker out of the post. He’s got a good drive when he faces up from the short corner/wing. But when he’s going up against the Cockburns and Edey’s of the B1G he has to realize he’s not going to be able to bully them down all the way to the block. Instead, he settles for 8ft fading/leaning hooks that are really tough shots to make. If he can’t get lower in the post I’d like to see him pass it out and look for a better shot. In fact, that may be a key in getting Stewart and Kopp more shots.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I have noticed they don’t pull the trigger a lot. They’ll get a good look and either shot fake or swing it; that’s great guys, but you’re the best two shooters and we need you hitting those as guys are closing out.

There are surely other factors at play, too, just their general timidness is one I’ve noticed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I have noticed they don’t pull the trigger a lot. They’ll get a good look and either shot fake or swing it; that’s great guys, but you’re the best two shooters and we need you hitting those as guys are closing out.

There are surely other factors at play, too, just their general timidness is one I’ve noticed. 

I see that as well, though I also see both Race and TJD slow to kick it out and often not making the right reads. 

4 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Going back through and including 17-18 Stewart and Kopp much better top duo.  They are shooting 45% and 39% which is much better than any other of the top 2 volume shooters for the year by far.  Closest is Green and Durham in 19-20 with 36% and 38%. 

The problem isn't that they can't shoot, the problem is either they just don't shoot enough or we don't do more to get them more shots. 

Stewart and Kopp taking/making more 3's will only help TJD and Race. 

I've always just felt that TJD and Race aren't always efficient at getting the ball out of the post to the right people. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The problem isn't that they can't shoot, the problem is either they just don't shoot enough or we don't do more to get them more shots. 

I've always just felt that TJD and Race aren't always efficient at getting the ball out of the post to the right people. 

They are to slow making their decision on what they are going to do.  Also I think it is better getting your guys shots by player movement and screening.  What frustrates me is that they have our big guys trying to just get post position by themselves instead of using cross screens to get them open.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree about the two bigs. Wonder if the last 2 years hasn’t been ingrained into their decisions… they couldn’t rely on anyone they passed out of the post to, to make shots. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I see that as well, though I also see both Race and TJD slow to kick it out and often not making the right reads. 

I think it’s both for sure, although in defense of TJD and Race I may be slow to quick it out too if I know the two best shooters on the team aren’t going to pull the trigger. 

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it’s both for sure, although in defense of TJD and Race I may be slow to quick it out too if I know the two best shooters on the team aren’t going to pull the trigger. 

I beleive in both of these players.  Would love to see TJD face up at the rim and using his jumping ability to develop a little fade away 5-10' from the rim.  The big,big centers give him trouble - he is to good not to add a face-up game.  

In the game, X was stretching his foot - wonder if cramping was happening?

The inability to hit 3's comes back time after time and when Race and Trayce aren't scoring, it is a weakness.  Michigan and Illinois- would love to have those games back.  

year               # of 3's/game/team              # of 3's/game/top 2            % Season/Team

21-2 *                       18.6                                        7.52                                   35

20-1                         18.0                                        7.25                                   32

19-20                       16.9                                        8.62                                 32.5

18-9                         19.2                                        8.08                                  31

17-8                         19.4                                        8.86                                  32

IU last 5 years

* season to date prior to Illini game

• Like 1

If, for any reason, these two start consistently taking and making shots, this team can really surge down the stretch.  They could give us a real a boost.  

Miller found a bit of a groove where they’d overplay his shot and he’d take a couple of dribbles and drill a mid ranger.  Now that has disappeared.  

Others have talked about RT and TJD not moving the ball out fast enough. That seems very fix-able to help take this team up a notch.  In this offense, it’s pretty obvious we aren’t going to run them off screens.  Without the quicker kick out passes and the lack of screening, let’s be honest.  These guys aren’t quick enough to get their shot off.  

Earlier in the year, we’d look at the box score and see them combine for tons of empty minutes.  We had a big discussion a month or so ago where they played 60 minutes and gave us 7 points without much else.  I’ve been watching that, and those minutes have drifted down so credit the staff for that.  I don’t have any problem with them starting, but if we don’t do a better job getting them looks, they need subbed out more.  You have to look at your 200 minutes and get production throughout.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Didn't watch the Illinois game, but am curious...does Cockburn draw more double teams than TJD?

We didn’t really double a whole lot… but part of that was due to their ability to really space the floor with shooters. I could be wrong but it felt like a lot of their 3’s at the end of the game came from kick outs from the post when we started to get desperate and more aggressive for steals.

42 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

We didn’t really double a whole lot… but part of that was due to their ability to really space the floor with shooters. I could be wrong but it felt like a lot of their 3’s at the end of the game came from kick outs from the post when we started to get desperate and more aggressive for steals.

If I were the coach I would let Kofi get his and stop the other players.  RMK did that when we played Shaw in the tournament.  Got behind early because the other players got off to a good start but it didn't last long.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I were the coach I would let Kofi get his and stop the other players.  RMK did that when we played Shaw in the tournament.  Got behind early because the other players got off to a good start but it didn't last long.

The problem with that is we don't have Calbert Cheaney, who scored 30 in that game, to Shaq's 36. 

• Like 1