Penn State pre game

Hoosierfan1901

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I would guess this will be a close game since everytime we play them it is a close game.

True that.

Its crazy how close our bball games have been against Penn friggin State.

Hope we come out with some urgency. Win this and the journey to the tourney continues.

I think players today should feel lucky because if this kind of game happened in the past they would had a long practice after the game.  I hear DD talking about how after road losses they would get back from the airport and go right to Assembly Hall. I also heard Painter on the show saying Keady would do the same thing.

Edited by IU Scott

When: Wednesday, January 26th 8:30  PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV:BTN

The Nittany Lions (8-8, 3-5 in the Big 10) have lost 2 in a row (@Ohio State and @Iowa) and 3 of their last 4. They're 12th in the conference on offensive rating (IU is 9th) and 13th in defensive rating (IU is 1st although you couldn't tell it Sunday) in the Big 10.

Since our game in Happy Valley where they shot 11-22 from 3 point land, they've shot it at a 32% clip (36-114)

Their conference per game stats...

image.png.1417f8a6661a2d2e0958c63844700264.png

Last game against us, Pickett, Lundy, Dread, and Sessoms went 11-19 from 3, many of the contested, and we got outboarded by 9 including giving up 8 offensive boards...

I expect a hard fought defensive struggle...despite their low D rating, I think Penn State is a good defensive team. We cannot have Trayce only getting 5 rebounds (if you remember, that game at PSU was the one where Coach Woodson called Trayce out) and we can't shoot 26% from behind the arc and expect to win...This team has beaten us once, and can beat us again...

Penn State has picked up 1 new player since we last saw the...Javonnie Scott, a 6-7 JUCO transfer who is a banger (reminds me of Freddie Swain) and provides inside depth...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Parker Stewart needs to be consistently aggressive offensively. 

Exactly.  I was talking to a co worker about this very thing walking into school today.  He seems to wait until he his wide open with no one within 10 ft of him to shoot.  He knocked down some contested shots near the end of the game yesterday.  Every time he did I would think, "You should do that more often, Parker."  He shouldn't force bad ones, but he definitely needs to be more aggressive. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Exactly.  I was talking to a co worker about this very thing walking into school today.  He seems to wait until he his wide open with no one within 10 ft of him to shoot.  He knocked down some contested shots near the end of the game yesterday.  Every time he did I would think, "You should do that more often, Parker."  He shouldn't force bad ones, but he definitely needs to be more aggressive. 

There just, in general, needs to be more to his game offensively then only shooting wide open 3s. He can give us more than that. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I gotta feeling the coaching staff will let the team know today's performance was unacceptable.  

MSU always comes out and plays after a loss because Izzo's practices after a poor performance are very tough.  Make no mistake, their win and focus against Wisconsin after the bad loss to NW was no coincidence

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don't care if he forces bad ones.  He needs to shoot 10-15 times a game.  Open, not open, from half court, from the bench.  I don't care.  He needs to shoot and shoot it alot.  The kids shoots almost 50%.  SHOOT THE FREAKING BALL!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I gotta feeling the coaching staff will let the team know today's performance was unacceptable.  

The Michigan game was disappointing due to the effort, but the result wasn’t too surprising bc Michigan is talented (just don’t think they should beat us at home 🤷🏻‍♂️). With that said, if the effort and result aren’t positives with this one we’ll be putting ourselves in a dangerous position. You’d really have to be super confident we’re going to steal a game or two on the road (of which, none will be easy). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The Michigan game was disappointing due to the effort, but the result wasn’t too surprising bc Michigan is talented (just don’t think they should beat us at home 🤷🏻‍♂️). With that said, if the effort and result aren’t positives with this one we’ll be putting ourselves in a dangerous position. You’d really have to be super confident we’re going to steal a game or two on the road (of which, none will be easy). 

Yep. PSU and Maryland games will be tricky, and then 4 of the next 5 are against ranked teams. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I feel pretty good we can win at least 2 more on the road, the question is can we win out at home to finish over .500 in conference? 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I feel pretty good we can win at least 2 more on the road, the question is can we win out at home to finish over .500 in conference? 

Who do you feel good about us beating?

Maryland

Northwestern

MSU - no

OSU - no

Minnesota

Purdue - no

We could win any of those if we play at our ceiling, but there are three automatic losses there likely, two more at MD and Nwestern where we just don’t play well ever, and at a well-coached/experienced Minnesota team. Sorry, I’m just not confident we will win any of those games. Much more likely we can / should win out at home. I know ILL is tough, but still don’t think we should lose at home. Others definitely shouldn’t be losses. But as we’ve already seen this year, none of these will go how we think they will.

• Like 1