1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Who do you feel good about us beating?

Maryland

Northwestern

MSU - no

OSU - no

Minnesota

Purdue - no

We could win any of those if we play at our ceiling, but there are three automatic losses there likely, two more at MD and Nwestern where we just don’t play well ever, and at a well-coached/experienced Minnesota team. Sorry, I’m just not confident we will win any of those games. Much more likely we can / should win out at home. I know ILL is tough, but still don’t think we should lose at home. Others definitely shouldn’t be losses. But as we’ve already seen this year, none of these will go how we think they will.

If anything, Northwestern winning in E. Lansing should have shown you that there are no "automatic" wins/losses. I imagine we will win and lose our share of the rest of the games this season, but not going to go into any game saying we have no shot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Who do you feel good about us beating?

Maryland

Northwestern

MSU - no

OSU - no

Minnesota

Purdue - no

We could win any of those if we play at our ceiling, but there are three automatic losses there likely, two more at MD and Nwestern where we just don’t play well ever, and at a well-coached/experienced Minnesota team. Sorry, I’m just not confident we will win any of those games. Much more likely we can / should win out at home. I know ILL is tough, but still don’t think we should lose at home. Others definitely shouldn’t be losses. But as we’ve already seen this year, none of these will go how we think they will.

We've actually played pretty well on the road. 

Took Syracuse to 2OT, after a really bad first half. Had an excellent half against both Wisconsin and Iowa, and led from start to finish at Nebraska. 

We laid an egg at PSU, but overall we've had some really, really good halves on the road. 

No reason we can't win at Northwestern and/or Maryland. We've also been known to pull a road upset on the road in previous seasons. 

• Like 4

i mean to come anywhere close to meeting minimum goals, we pretty much need to win out at home which will be tough vs. Rutgers, Illinois and Wisconsin, but manageable.  then who are we going to beat on the road?  i mean MD, NW, and MN are the worst teams by B1G record.  we all know how tough it is to win in MN.  NW is a pretty solid team.  if i had to bet, i'd say we finish 4-7 from here and end up 9-11 in conference and 18-12 overall.  i hope i am way off and we do much better.  i mean that record and a tourney bid would make me happier than the last several years.  just hope we continue to head in the right direction.  

• Like 1

There’s about 6 weeks of regular season basketball left and a lot can happen, I just haven’t seen much from this team to make we think we are going to fall apart down the stretch which is the conclusion some of you are getting at. I mean, there’s really no way we go from sitting 5-4 through the first 9 games and not finish over .500 with what our remaining schedule unless we collapse.

I’d challenge anyone to explain why a team that’s had a very realistic shot to win every game we’ve played, sans Michigan, is going to go 4-7 over a stretch of games that includes 8 games minimum we should absolutely be able to put ourselves in a good position to win. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There’s about 6 weeks of regular season basketball left and a lot can happen, I just haven’t seen much from this team to make we think we are going to fall apart down the stretch which is the conclusion some of you are getting at. I mean, there’s really no way we go from sitting 5-4 through the first 9 games and not finish over .500 with what our remaining schedule unless we collapse.

I’d challenge anyone to explain why a team that’s had a very realistic shot to win every game we’ve played, sans Michigan, is going to go 4-7 over a stretch of games that includes 8 games minimum we should absolutely be able to put ourselves in a good position to win. 

hey.  i try not to engage with you, but my only point is how many road games we have and how many good teams we play.  i'm not calling it a collapse, but i'd be curious which 5 or 6 games you predict we'll win from here.  and BTW - i hope you are right!

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

If anyone is hoping for a starting lineup change, might have to wait a little bit longer 

I didnt know it was a panic move to change something that isnt working. The plus-minus shows its a bad line up. Parker and or Kopp would bring scoring to the 2nd unit.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

We have won one road game against Nebraska.Now we are confident of going to Northwestern and winning.They beat Michigan State at home.Will be difficult to win anymore road games.Have to win rest of our home games.

Hey, look who it is. Were you busy after the Purdue game? 😁

internet-troll.jpg

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hey.  i try not to engage with you, but my only point is how many road games we have and how many good teams we play.  i'm not calling it a collapse, but i'd be curious which 5 or 6 games you predict we'll win from here.  and BTW - i hope you are right!

I’d say we should have a very good chance to win at least 6 of the games that aren’t Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

Even if we only manage five of those and don’t pull an upset in those three tough games, that still gets us to .500. There’s also upside we could win 7 or 8 of the last 11 IMO.

If we only win four more it means we 1) lost every road game 2) didn’t win out at home 3) lost every single game you’d consider a toss up. I just can’t really see things going that poorly and calling it anything other than a collapse.

Now let me flip it back and ask why do you think that’s the likely outcome?

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

We've actually played pretty well on the road. 

Took Syracuse to 2OT, after a really bad first half. Had an excellent half against both Wisconsin and Iowa, and let from start to finish at Nebraska. 

We laid an egg at PSU, but overall we've had some really, really good halves on the road. 

No reason we can't won at Northwestern and/or Maryland. We've also been known to pull a road upset on the road in previous seasons. 

I love how gullible you are. 😉 I know we can if we play close to our ceiling, but we have very little reason to believe it will happen. We don’t shoot well enough from deep which means playing top notch D while also trying to make up the difference of being hosed by officials on the road (which is pretty normal in this league) would be imperative. 

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If anything, Northwestern winning in E. Lansing should have shown you that there are no "automatic" wins/losses. I imagine we will win and lose our share of the rest of the games this season, but not going to go into any game saying we have no shot.

I didn’t say we didn’t have a shot. I said we could win any of those if we played to our ceiling. But it’s not likely we’re winning at MSU, OSU, or Purdue unless we play perfect and they are off a bit. Winning at MD, NW, or MN will be a very tall task too. Hope I’m wrong, but I think we’re much more likely to win out at home than to win one of these six. And winning one of the six would be an accomplishment imo. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Hey, look who it is. Were you busy after the Purdue game? 😁

internet-troll.jpg

Loved the Purdue game we have no leadership or we would of won Michigan game.Players are soft and haven't won much last 4 years.Players he is bringing in are tough hard nosed players.Future is bright with new players!

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I didn’t say we didn’t have a shot. I said we could win any of those if we played to our ceiling. But it’s not likely we’re winning at MSU, OSU, or Purdue unless we play perfect and they are off a bit. Winning at MD, NW, or MN will be a very tall task too. Hope I’m wrong, but I think we’re much more likely to win out at home than to win one of these six. And winning one of the six would be an accomplishment imo. 

We will win more than one more on the road. Yes, yesterday's game was disappointing, but this team is improving and has the ability to beat anyone on the road or at home. MD, NW and MN all can be won, and those other three have had upsets at home. MSU lost at home to NW, OSU lost at home to an average Florida team and PU lost at home to a decent team in the Illini, so none of them are unbeatable at home. The Hoosiers have shown they can play well on the road, they just have to do it for a full game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I’d say we should have a very good chance to win at least 6 of the games that aren’t Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

Even if we only manage five of those and don’t pull an upset in those three tough games, that still gets us to .500. There’s also upside we could win 7 or 8 of the last 11 IMO.

If we only win four more it means we 1) lost every road game 2) didn’t win out at home 3) lost every single game you’d consider a toss up. I just can’t really see things going that poorly and calling it anything other than a collapse.

We’re below average to bad at shooting the 3 most nights

Our FT shooting is poor 

We miss layups at an unbelievable clip

We always run into somebody having a career night 

Winning at Nebraska (who is REALLY bad) doesn’t convince me we’re mentally tough enough to beat a good team on the road. Just haven’t done it enough in recent years for me to believe we’ll do it. 

*We just aren’t any better than average most nights IMO. We played a pretty weak non-conference schedule and have had one of the easier conference schedules. Not trying to be pessimistic here, but we’re fortunate of that fact or I fear we’d be sitting with a few more losses and on the outside looking in come March. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Loved the Purdue game we have no leadership or we would of won Michigan game.Players are soft and haven't won much last 4 years.Players he is bringing in are tough hard nosed players.Future is bright with new players!

I figured since the Hoosiers beat your Boilers you would avoid here, which you did.

Hoosiers lose a game, and surprise not surprised you are back. 👍

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

We will win more than one more on the road. Yes, yesterday's game was disappointing, but this team is improving and has the ability to beat anyone on the road or at home. MD, NW and MN all can be won, and those other three have had upsets at home. MSU lost at home to NW, OSU lost at home to an average Florida team and PU lost at home to a decent team in the Illini, so none of them are unbeatable at home. The Hoosiers have shown they can play well on the road, they just have to do it for a full game.

Hope you’re right. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I didn't know it was a panic move to change something that isn't working. The plus-minus shows its a bad line up. Parker and or Kopp would bring scoring to the 2nd unit.

I mean...you ask a good question here.  Seems like a reasonable thing to try?  I could see subbing Geronimo or Galloway into the starting lineup for Miller Kopp to see if IU could start the game a little faster.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I mean...you ask a good question here.  Seems like a reasonable thing to try?  I could see subbing Geronimo or Galloway into the starting lineup for Miller Kopp to see if IU could start the game a little faster.

Maybe experiment with Galloway in the starting lineup over Parker. Miller in the second unit I don't think would work, we don't want him forcing things, which I think he would coming in as a sub. Parker coming in could bring the scoring that would be needed, he would have to get more aggressive though.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I love how gullible you are. 😉 I know we can if we play close to our ceiling, but we have very little reason to believe it will happen. We don’t shoot well enough from deep which means playing top notch D while also trying to make up the difference of being hosed by officials on the road (which is pretty normal in this league) would be imperative. 

I think we have several reasons to believe it can happen. I don't know if it will, but there are several reasons to be optimistic. I listed them in my previous response. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We’re below average to bad at shooting the 3 most nights

Our FT shooting is poor 

We miss layups at an unbelievable clip

We always run into somebody having a career night 

Winning at Nebraska (who is REALLY bad) doesn’t convince me we’re mentally tough enough to beat a good team on the road. Just haven’t done it enough in recent years for me to believe we’ll do it. 

*We just aren’t any better than average most nights IMO. We played a pretty weak non-conference schedule and have had one of the easier conference schedules. Not trying to be pessimistic here, but we’re fortunate of that fact or I fear we’d be sitting with a few more losses and on the outside looking in come March. 

I'll agree we are average for sake of conversation, which I think ignores that we are borderline elite on defense. I also don't think anyone in the B1G is really elite this year, so saying we have a lot of flaws puts us in the same category as much of the teams in the league IMO. 

We have a pretty favorable schedule to close out the year and are already over .500 in conference. For us to finish below .500 means we go 4-7 down the stretch which is a pretty big drop from average. I'm not actually sure you were saying we would finish below .500 in conference, but that is what I was addressing. 

If you asked me to forecast our last 11 games, I'd say we go 6-5 with an upside of 8-3 and a downside of 5-6. I don't actually think that's too far off of you, other than perhaps I'm more bullish on the upside. I think that's because I don't think we have to play our 'A' game to win at places like Northwestern, Maryland, and Minny. I think our 'B' game will suffice and we probably can get two of those, but probably drop one at home to either Illinois or Wisconsin. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

hey admittedly i am a guarded, pessimistic sports fan.  i am a Cubs fan if that tells you anything.  sure, we could do better than my 4-7 or 5-6 prediction.  i'm just thinking of what games we will likely be favored in and how many road games we have.  like i said, it's tough to win at MN.  NW is solid.  will be tough to win there.  i'd like to hope we'll get the win at MD, but not counting on that.  i really expect to lose all of the other road games.  that leaves home against PSU, 24 Illinois, 11 Wisconsin, MD, and Rutgers.  i just think it is likely we don't win all 5 of those.  again, i hope i'm wrong.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hey admittedly i am a guarded, pessimistic sports fan.  i am a Cubs fan if that tells you anything.  sure, we could do better than my 4-7 or 5-6 prediction.  i'm just thinking of what games we will likely be favored in and how many road games we have.  like i said, it's tough to win at MN.  NW is solid.  will be tough to win there.  i'd like to hope we'll get the win at MD, but not counting on that.  i really expect to lose all of the other road games.  that leaves home against PSU, 24 Illinois, 11 Wisconsin, MD, and Rutgers.  i just think it is likely we don't win all 5 of those.  again, i hope i'm wrong.  

Nothing wrong with your thinking/pessimism.  We got a tough row to hoe both home and away.

• Like 1