Penn State pre game

Hoosierfan1901

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

I didnt know it was a panic move to change something that isnt working. The plus-minus shows its a bad line up. Parker and or Kopp would bring scoring to the 2nd unit.

would they? They dont bring much scoring with the talent around them on the first team. They cannot create their own shots. It's not like you can put the ball in their hand and they go get buckets, but just decide not to with the first team. I truly dont know. you could be right. I just think they would draw even more attention.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I think part of the reason Stewart and Kopp don’t do well in the first unit is because the focus is for TJD to score and play through him. I will say it is nice to have shooters to kick out to though

I've mentioned how much TJD and RT have benefitted from Miller and Stewart being in the lineup. Those two are absurdly efficient with their scoring because of the lane opening up for them down low. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've mentioned how much TJD and RT have benefitted from Miller and Stewart being in the lineup. Those two are absurdly efficient with their scoring because of the lane opening up for them down low. 

Agree. Though I think both TJD and Race need to improve playing out of the double team as well. 

TJD has improved. He doesn't turn it over as much as he used too when doubled, but he still also doesn't make teams pay either. 

His basic move out of the double is to retreat dribble to force the helper back to his man, then he attacks his man one-on-one. Don't get me wrong, that has been effective, but TJD still isn't a strong passer out of the double. We don't make team pay for doubling, we're just better at not turning it over. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Though I think both TJD and Race need to improve playing out of the double team as well. 

TJD has improved. He doesn't turn it over as much as he used too when doubled, but he still also doesn't make teams pay either. 

His basic move out of the double is to retreat dribble to force the helper back to his man, then he attacks his man one-on-one. Don't get me wrong, that has been effective, but TJD still isn't a strong passer out of the double. We don't make team pay for doubling, we're just better at not turning it over. 

So is the answer having both Kopp and Stewart be more aggressive on offense? 

I read @The Daily Hoosier's column today about what Coach Woody said to Fisch on the radio show, and though he played off making a lineup change for now, it sounded like if we get off to another slow start or 2, it's coming...

" The bottom line is, it ain’t who starts, it’s who finishes games in terms of helping us win games, and our starters have just gotta pick it up, and if not, then I have to make a decision.”

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I read @The Daily Hoosier's column today about what Coach Woody said to Fisch on the radio show, and though he played off making a lineup change for now, it sounded like if we get off to another slow start or 2, it's coming...

" The bottom line is, it ain’t who starts, it’s who finishes games in terms of helping us win games, and our starters have just gotta pick it up, and if not, then I have to make a decision.”

Yes, I think Parker Stewart needs to be way more aggressive. Truthfully, I think Kopp is fine. I think Parker is fine with going through the motions. Parker and Miller are not the same player and they do NOT have the same skill set. We have seen Parker have success and our team have success when he puts the ball on the floor. I was lenient on PS for awhile because he didn't even play basketball last year. But Wednesday night is game 20 and he's 23 years old. Lets gooooo. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree with @btownqb, Stewart needs to be more aggressive. 

His best games IMO have comes when he's found a way to be effective putting the ball on the floor. 

It adds another element so that all of the creation isn't on XJ and it makes Stewart much more difficult to defend. 

He just needs to be more active in general and more willing to be an offense creator. 

• Like 2

The fact that we keep starting Kopp and Stew together is hideous.. numbers don’t lie.. last 7 games starting 5 is -49…. I’m completely baffled that Woodson is stubborn on the lineup and continues to let us dig a whole game after game..

you can not  have 2 out 3 guards in the game that

1. Can’t guard 

2. can’t create a shot for themselves 

3. Can’t create a shot for anyone else.

I’m not saying never play Stew and Kopp but they should absolutely never be on the floor at the same time if we ever want to win at a consistent level. It is way to much to ask the bench game after game to come in and bail us out 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

The fact that we keep starting Kopp and Stew together is hideous.. numbers don’t lie.. last 7 games starting 5 is -49…. I’m completely baffled that Woodson is stubborn on the lineup and continues to let us dig a whole game after game..

you can not  have 2 out 3 guards in the game that

1. Can’t guard 

2. can’t create a shot for themselves 

3. Can’t create a shot for anyone else.

I’m not saying never play Stew and Kopp but they should absolutely never be on the floor at the same time if we ever want to win at a consistent level. It is way to much to ask the bench game after game to come in and bail us out 

well #1 is incredibly false 

so... who should start? Rob and TG over Miller and Parker? Why did Rob and TG play so poorly on Sunday? If it's allegedly so evident that Miller and Parker basically shouldn't play (even though last week at this time this entire board wanted nothing to do with the bench) .... why didn't Rob and TG fill it up Sunday? 

Rob and TGs combined #s from Sunday... 41 mins- 2pts, 1-10, 0-6 from 3, 5 assists, 1 reb, and 1 turnover. 

Parker and Miller's combined stats... 37 mins- 14 points, 5-9, 4-7 from 3, 1 assist, 2 turnovers. 

Edited by btownqb

I'm not a coach nor do I have insight into the staff's strategy but it's pretty clear to me that the prime directive for the starting five is to run the offense through the paint, specifically through Trayce. I guess you could argue if that strategy is wrong but I for one don't think it is. He is far and away our best player and we should be getting him every possible opportunity to score. Kopp and Stewart are out there to keep defenses from just collapsing (see every game last year for film study). I would argue that replacing one of those guys would only add one more defender who would be collapsing into the paint. Now, do we have a tendency to get too deep into the shot clock before we look for a second option? Yes.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

well #1 is incredibly false 

so... who should start? Rob and TG over Miller and Parker? Why did Rob and TG play so poorly on Sunday? If it's allegedly so evident that Miller and Parker basically shouldn't play (even though last week at this time this entire board wanted nothing to do with the bench) .... why didn't Rob and TG fill it up Sunday? 

Rob and TGs combined #s from Sunday... 41 mins- 2pts, 1-10, 0-6 from 3, 5 assists, 1 reb, and 1 turnover. 

Parker and Miller's combined stats... 37 mins- 14 points, 5-9, 4-7 from 3, 1 assist, 2 turnovers. 

1. Is not incredibly false if you know anything about basketball… Miller and Kopp continue to get beat off dribble all the time… so explain to me then why we are -49 with the starters and plus 87 with the bench…

Clearly you missed the fact that I said “they should never be on floor at same time” Kopp and stew should play we need them to space the floor but you can’t have both in at the same time. Because one will definitely be in a mis match defensively and we will only have one creater on offense in Johnson. 

I would probably start Galloway for Kopp… or you could start Rob for Kopp but then you get pretty small.. but for sure can’t have Miller and Stew together on the floor very obvious it’s not going to work. 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yes, I think Parker Stewart needs to be way more aggressive. Truthfully, I think Kopp is fine. I think Parker is fine with going through the motions. Parker and Miller are not the same player and they do NOT have the same skill set. We have seen Parker have success and our team have success when he puts the ball on the floor. I was lenient on PS for awhile because he didn't even play basketball last year. But Wednesday night is game 20 and he's 23 years old. Lets gooooo. 

I just think Stewart looks a lot bulkier than he did at TN Martin. Don't think that helps him.

image.thumb.png.7d2dbee9fb8cef6c4bf1454026970e34.png

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not sure what wasn't clear. He looks heavier to me than when he played at UTM. Can't help with his quickness on either offense or defense.

image.thumb.png.a6462319c03e35b17bdd5d6165fd25ea.png

Yes he weighs 10lbs more, which I'm sure is a direct result of being in a big boy weight program. There is no correlation between more muscle and less quickness. He's plenty quick, plenty capable. He defends pretty well, just needs to be more of a constant threat offensively. 

Did you watch any games of his at UTM? 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes he weighs 10lbs more, which I'm sure is a direct result of being in a big boy weight program. There is no correlation between more muscle and less quickness. He's plenty quick, plenty capable. He defends pretty well, just needs to be more of a constant threat offensively. 

Did you watch any games of his at UTM? 

Just clips, but he was a primary ball handler, not just a catch and shoot guy 

1 hour ago, eddy4iu said:

A couple great seats for Penn State....

Section B, Row 9 at dividing line between B & C.  Behind Visitor's bench.  Face value @ $96 for the pair.

Will transfer electronically with PayPal or Venmo payment.  Respond to eddy4iu@gmail.com if interested.

Go Hoosiers!!!!!

Tickets are sold

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just clips, but he was a primary ball handler, not just a catch and shoot guy 

I've seen them, I think Parker has been fine with being passive. I don't believe it has anything to do with anything else. 

I think he was trying "fit". Needs to be assertive. 

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

We've actually played pretty well on the road. 

Took Syracuse to 2OT, after a really bad first half. Had an excellent half against both Wisconsin and Iowa, and led from start to finish at Nebraska. 

We laid an egg at PSU, but overall we've had some really, really good halves on the road. 

No reason we can't win at Northwestern and/or Maryland. We've also been known to pull a road upset on the road in previous seasons. 

Exactly....we match up very well against OSU....also should be able to beat Minnesota as well. Heck even Purdue is not out of the question although that one will be loud and pay back will be large on their minds.

• Like 1

UM was 8-20 from three against Maryland at home recently (still good @ 40%); 11-17 against IU.  That's unworldly good shooting, even when shooting wide open shots.  I don't care how good of a team you have, when your opponent is shooting 65% from three, you're not going to win.  

Syracuse and Iowa both shot out of their minds for long stretches of those particular games; I would argue both of those teams played their best games thus far against IU.

The UM game is the only game IU hasn't been in this year; every other game IU has had a shot of winning within the last few minutes, and the only reason IU wasn't in it against UM is that they shot 65% from three.

We can say the defense wasn't up to the task all we want, but sometimes the other team just has a better day.

I think we get back on track tomorrow and finish out strong.  I don't see a single game on the rest of the schedule that I think is a sure loss.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

UM was 8-20 from three against Maryland at home recently (still good @ 40%); 11-17 against IU.  That's unworldly good shooting, even when shooting wide open shots.  I don't care how good of a team you have, when your opponent is shooting 65% from three, you're not going to win.  

Syracuse and Iowa both shot out of their minds for long stretches of those particular games; I would argue both of those teams played their best games thus far against IU.

The UM game is the only game IU hasn't been in this year; every other game IU has had a shot of winning within the last few minutes, and the only reason IU wasn't in it against UM is that they shot 65% from three.

We can say the defense wasn't up to the task all we want, but sometimes the other team just has a better day.

I think we get back on track tomorrow and finish out strong.  I don't see a single game on the rest of the schedule that I think is a sure loss.

Not really sure why we decided to double the post against Michigan. We didn't really even do that much against Purdue but it caused us to leave a bunch of open 3's and Michigan was just unconcious. Dickenson was rediculous shooting...never seen him that hot before. Maybe we feared Trayce getting in foul trouble again but I don't think it was necessary to double. Even when we flew out on closeouts they just faked and drove on us creating more help problems. Weird game plan if you ask me.

• Like 2