Penn State pre game

Hoosierfan1901

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I'm not a coach nor do I have insight into the staff's strategy but it's pretty clear to me that the prime directive for the starting five is to run the offense through the paint, specifically through Trayce. I guess you could argue if that strategy is wrong but I for one don't think it is. He is far and away our best player and we should be getting him every possible opportunity to score. Kopp and Stewart are out there to keep defenses from just collapsing (see every game last year for film study). I would argue that replacing one of those guys would only add one more defender who would be collapsing into the paint. Now, do we have a tendency to get too deep into the shot clock before we look for a second option? Yes.

Agree. Though I would add that something I love that Galloway brings when he plays with TJD, is that while teams don't have to worry about him shooting, Galloways is the best at our team at after entering the ball to TJD in the post then hard cutting with speed and intention through the lane and out the other side. 

That creates so much movement and uncertainty in the defense and really gets them moving side to side, where as Stewart and Kopp tend to enter and then stand. 

I realize you'd more want Galloway to cut through vs. Stewart/Kopp spot up, but when both are in the passer can cut through and the other can replace, etc.  

I just think that movement confuses the D. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Though I would add that something I love that Galloway brings when he plays with TJD, is that while teams don't have to worry about him shooting, Galloways is the best at our team at after entering the ball to TJD in the post then hard cutting with speed and intention through the lane and out the other side. 

That creates so much movement and uncertainty in the defense and really gets them moving side to side, where as Stewart and Kopp tend to enter and then stand. 

I realize you'd more want Galloway to cut through vs. Stewart/Kopp spot up, but when both are in the passer can cut through and the other can replace, etc.  

Oh he's a great cutter. Parker is the opposite of that, no doubt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

UM was 8-20 from three against Maryland at home recently (still good @ 40%); 11-17 against IU.  That's unworldly good shooting, even when shooting wide open shots.  I don't care how good of a team you have, when your opponent is shooting 65% from three, you're not going to win.  

Syracuse and Iowa both shot out of their minds for long stretches of those particular games; I would argue both of those teams played their best games thus far against IU.

The UM game is the only game IU hasn't been in this year; every other game IU has had a shot of winning within the last few minutes, and the only reason IU wasn't in it against UM is that they shot 65% from three.

We can say the defense wasn't up to the task all we want, but sometimes the other team just has a better day.

I think we get back on track tomorrow and finish out strong.  I don't see a single game on the rest of the schedule that I think is a sure loss.

No question we played really poor defense against the 3, but you still have make the shot even when wide open. Let’s face it, Michigan played out of their minds… just happens sometimes. We’ll bounce back and beat PSU by double digits.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Not really sure why we decided to double the post against Michigan. We didn't really even do that much against Purdue but it caused us to leave a bunch of open 3's and Michigan was just unconcious. Dickenson was rediculous shooting...never seen him that hot before. Maybe we feared Trayce getting in foul trouble again but I don't think it was necessary to double. Even when we flew out on closeouts they just faked and drove on us creating more help problems. Weird game plan if you ask me.

The whole game I was yelling quit doubling the post.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

For sure. Don't disagree with that. Here's to hoping Galloway develops his outside shot. 

• Like 3

I don't usually ask for what I want with IU because basketball because our program has been so inconsistent over the years.

What I want is a good old fashion kicking. I want to come out and beat up Penn St from the start and we get up keep the pedal down. That will show me something about our program development/culture changing. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

You just described the incredible benefits of the motion offense. A man in motion is infinitely more difficult to defend and predict what he is going to do then one stationary. Kids today are rarely taught defense...and even then its guarding the ball, the post, closeout, and ball screen. We saw how difficult it was to even defend with the pack line defense....we had guys that couldn't get in position when their man was just standing around...much less cutting/screening etc. It's very difficult to keep an eye on your man and the ball both when both are in constant motion. Add in the screening factor to it and it takes either incredible athleticism or a very very well coached team to defend it well. The issue is the motion offense takes a lot of time to master and it takes a lot of trust between players to give up the ball (who have all been the best players on their team and had the ball in their hands their whole life) and play without it. In todays immediate results driven society neither coach or players at the highest levels are likely going to be willing or able to stay around long enough to master it....but man...when you see it done well...like when Golden St or even several years ago when Villanova/Texas Tech was running variations of it...it was extremely successful. Problem though is with transfer portal and early entry to NBA etc it is just difficult to successfully implement as a primary offense...but I do love how Galloway moves without the ball....watch that kid..he "GETS IT".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't usually ask for what I want with IU because basketball because our program has been so inconsistent over the years.

What I want is a good old fashion kicking. I want to come out and beat up Penn St from the start and we get up keep the pedal down. That will show me something about our program development/culture changing. 

I want them to come out pissed off from how they played in the Michigan game, and like you said kick PSU in the teeth from the start. They need to come out more focused than they did in the last game. This is their 20th game, so it is time to start showing that they have improved and that they are worthy of being a tournament team. Need to quit with the inconsistent play.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

Yes he weighs 10lbs more, which I'm sure is a direct result of being in a big boy weight program. There is no correlation between more muscle and less quickness. He's plenty quick, plenty capable. He defends pretty well, just needs to be more of a constant threat offensively. 

Did you watch any games of his at UTM? 

He is a step slower. I watched him in person against Murray St when I lived there and also watched several of his games that we televised locally as UT Martin is also close to Murray. His time off basketball and his sad journey has taken a toll on his body and game. Granted he was playing against lesser competition but he was capable of getting his man on his hip or had a quick burst with a cross over and step back 3 that he hasn't shown here at IU. Not sure it's all "good" weight (muscle) imo. Sitting out of basketball for almost 2 years with first the transfer to UTM and then again another last year to IU...on top of his personal life...I think it's taken a toll on his body in not a positive way. Not blaming him one bit but even a slight loss of burst/athleticism is compounded upon entering the B1G and it's athletes. As he is though he is still more than capable shooter to be of a huge help to us..and he works hard and is strong enough with size to not be a huge liability at the defensive end. Just saying...he is bigger...he has lost some burst....agree about the weight training and adding muscle...it doesn't necessarily hurt quickness and speed...if anything it should give him more burst...but I'm going to say something with absolutely no evidence...but most of us have all played sports...been in a strength program for sports etc. Even at IU...do we think every player takes the same advantage and works just as hard in the weight room and ALL benefit equally from that? Do we think that say Parker was putting in the same time and energy that say Jordan was....or Rob? We all know there are ways to "go through the motions". Not saying he did that...have absolutely no clue...but I'd be hard pressed to say Parker's size difference is simply all muscle and a result of him smashing it in the weight room. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

12 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I want them to come out pissed off from how they played in the Michigan game, and like you said kick PSU in the teeth from the start. They need to come out more focused than they did in the last game. This is their 20th game, so it is time to start showing that they have improved and that they are worthy of being a tournament team. Need to quit with the inconsistent play.

I don't know if a crushing win against a Big 10 opponent is in this teams DNA...Home or road...

I think we'll see more of a Nebraska/Minnesota type game...Close, but IU eventually taking control at home...As long as we defend the perimeter and don't get out butts kicked on the boards again we should win, but anything over a double digit win will be hard for us, I think...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah...we certainly need to string together a few wins in a row. Show the tourney committee that we can actually win back to back games and worthy of a safe seed that can advance. The quality of play has risen this year...the results are slightly better...time for us to turn a corner here for sure! Don't want to be messing around and needing a win at the end of the season to cement our place...we've seen how that has gone the last few years....leave no doubt in their minds.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...we certainly need to string together a few wins in a row. Show the tourney committee that we can actually win back to back games and worthy of a safe seed that can advance. The quality of play has risen this year...the results are slightly better...time for us to turn a corner here for sure! Don't want to be messing around and needing a win at the end of the season to cement our place...we've seen how that has gone the last few years....leave no doubt in their minds.

Yeah, I would be so happy to see a four or five game B1G winning streak. I am sick of either not making the tourney or being on the bubble. They have the ability in my opinion to go on a winning streak, now they need to just do it. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know if a crushing win against a Big 10 opponent is in this teams DNA...Home or road...

I think we'll see more of a Nebraska/Minnesota type game...Close, but IU eventually taking control at home...As long as we defend the perimeter and don't get out butts kicked on the boards again we should win, but anything over a double digit win will be hard for us, I think...

A loss tonight would really be demoralizing for us fans and put the team in a whole that will be hard to dig out of. We need a W and I'll be happy with one regardless if it is in overtime or a blowout. This is a game we should win. Just need to pull it all together and start another winning streak

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Exactly.  Our last game of the regular season is at Purdue.  I don't want to "have to win" there for our tournament lives.  

• Like 5

The one difference for us tonight is that we didn't have Trey Galloway last time against PSU in a game on the road we lost by 3 points...

Harrar killed us on the boards (12) and their guards/wings killed us from outside last time. I think Galloway can help on the defensive end with their guards, and if I was Coach Woody a stat sheet from last game with a circle around both Trayce's and Harrar's rebound numbers would have been sitting on TJD's stool every day this week...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The one difference for us tonight is that we didn't have Trey Galloway last time against PSU in a game on the road we lost by 3 points...

Harrar killed us on the boards (12) and their guards/wings killed us from outside last time. I think Galloway can help on the defensive end with their guards, and if I was Coach Woody a stat sheet from last game with a circle around both Trayce's and Harrar's rebound numbers would have been sitting on TJD's stool every day this week...

We also hadn't played in 11 days 

• Like 3

Didn't we lose to a team that hadn't played in like 2 weeks?

And didn't people say Michigan was so much fresher for not playing in like 9 days?

And we didn't say anything about Purdue playing an OT game 3 days before beating them and it being their 3rd game in a week.  But complained we had to play 3 games in 10 days before playing and losing to Michigan.

Every team seems to shoot out their minds and we call it unsustainable shooting nights against us and it must be the best game they have played all year, yet when we do it, its what we're capable of.

I love IU and i love our fans, but we are so Cream and Crimson blind we use the same excuse for both reason we lost or didn't play well.

Here is to hoping we kick the shit out of PSU tonight.  Winning streaks are so much fun to have on your resume.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Didn't we lose to a team that hadn't played in like 2 weeks?

And didn't people say Michigan was so much fresher for not playing in like 9 days?

And we didn't say anything about Purdue playing an OT game 3 days before beating them and it being their 3rd game in a week.  But complained we had to play 3 games in 10 days before playing and losing to Michigan.

Every team seems to shoot out their minds and we call it unsustainable shooting nights against us and it must be the best game they have played all year, yet when we do it, its what we're capable of.

I love IU and i love our fans, but we are so Cream and Crimson blind we use the same excuse for both reason we lost or didn't play well.

Here is to hoping we kick the shit out of PSU tonight.  Winning streaks are so much fun to have on your resume.

I mean, Syracuse, Iowa, and Michigan all did, in fact, shoot out of their minds against us, particularly Michigan.  Penn State also had a better than average shooting night against us.

We've had one of those type of games this season; really it was moreso Phinisee going off against Purdue.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

We also hadn't played in 11 days 

And they hadn't played in almost a month. It was a weird scenario. I think tonight will be a better measure of each team. I fully expect us to win....not a blowout because that just doesn't happen often in the B1G but control the game in the 6-12 pt range for the majority of it.