Lander

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Looking like Lander is going to possibly redshirt this year as he’s been dealing with plantar fasciitis most of the season.  Barring injury this is the plan.

Thanks. That makes sense as to why he hasn't been seeing any action at all lately as well. I am happy to hear he loves CMW as well.

If he can make progress in the weight room and develop a consistent jumper, he can become REALLY good.  I’m sure Coach Woodson is telling him his time is coming.  If you look at how CMW distributes the guard minutes, Lander can see he will have a chance if he works.  Nothing will be handed to anyone, though, and that’s how every player should want it.  That rule applies to you but it also applies to the next guy who will have to earn it too (if he wants to beat you out).  It's fair both directions.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If he can make progress in the weight room and develop a consistent jumper, he can become REALLY good.  I’m sure Coach Woodson is telling him his time is coming.  If you look at how CMW distributes the guard minutes, Lander can see he will have a chance if he works.  Nothing will be handed to anyone, though, and that’s how every player should want it.  That rule applies to you but it also applies to the next guy who will have to earn it too.  

The thing about Coach Woodson and credibility he's played and coached at the highest level for 4-5 decades. He knows exactly what the kid needs to do to get to the next level in their game. Players and their families have to know he's (CMW) is right. 

I'm a Lander fan and really want his time to come. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, rico said:

No and nor has any part of his game screamed early entry into the NCAA to me.

Agreed. Me thinks that was a desperate move by Miller to quell the alum base with how things were going by getting a top Indiana HS recruit to commit early....also because he had poorly constructed his roster and had Rob as the only point guard on it (who also clearly plays better off the ball then on it). Should have definitely had at least brought in one in the portal. Lander had no business coming in early nor playing last year but to me it was done to try to save face and build will towards Archie getting another year. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Has any part of his game screamed early entry to the NBA to you? :coffee:

29 minutes ago, rico said:

No and nor has any part of his game screamed early entry into the NCAA to me.

I saw a lot of promise in high school/AAU footage.  I think his size and youth put him behind the eight ball and you can argue that he was a bad candidate for early entry, but I get it from his perspective...that early year at the college level is bound to be more beneficial than a senior year in high school playing for a mediocre coach.  While I don't know that Khristian thought that about his high school coach, it's certainly possible and I believe likely.  At a minimum, Khristian is practicing with and against much more talented players and that's nearly always a good thing.

Khristian likely knew there were parts of his game that needed more development and I suspect his plan is a little more long term than some of those around him that are supposedly grumbling about his progress and playing time.  We'll eventually see how the story ends, but if he stays with it at IU, I see good things in his future.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Me thinks that was a desperate move by Miller to quell the alum base with how things were going by getting a top Indiana HS recruit to commit early....also because he had poorly constructed his roster and had Rob as the only point guard on it (who also clearly plays better off the ball then on it). Should have definitely had at least brought in one in the portal. Lander had no business coming in early nor playing last year but to me it was done to try to save face and build will towards Archie getting another year. 

I have either read this as well IIRC.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

With all the guards Woody is bringing in I just don't see how he'll ever get any minutes.  

Lander will have been in Woody's system almost 2 years, be a bit older, and more importantly will have had 3 years with Clif :D 

Coach Woody has a specific way he wants his point guards to play...KL has a head start there...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2