Lander

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He could have still come to IU...and had his senior year with his friends and HS team and his mom would have had her son at home for another year....that is VERY important to some families. He could easily come in and red shirted this year if he wasn't ready physically. I agree in the long run it might benefit him...but I can easily say the decision didn't come without ramifications for him and his family. I can see where the tensions would come from on his side of things if it didn't work out how he was lead to believe it would...or just trusting the staff would have him ready to play when he honestly had no business trying to play and waste a season. I don't know how he is going to be a Hoosier for 6 years...he is a sophomore this year correct? He didn't get a COVID year...that was 2020...unless he plans to take a medical and a traditional red shirt. Anyways if him and his family are all happy that is all that matters...but lot's of kids could reclassify...few do...and not every case would it be beneficial or in the best interest to do so imo. Here's hoping it DOES work out though!

All of 2020-21 players get the extra year.  Thats why the announcers have been calling out sophomores freshmen.  

If he sticks with this staff and works hard, he will be successful.  I hope he does.  He reminds me of Cassius Winston.  Just a savy skill with the ball.  Just has to mature and develop.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

All of 2020-21 players get the extra year.  Thats why the announcers have been calling out sophomores freshmen.  

If he sticks with this staff and works hard, he will be successful.  I hope he does.  He reminds me of Cassius Winston.  Just a savy skill with the ball.  Just has to mature and develop.  

I thought it was only the 19-20 kids that got a free year since the tourney got canceled??

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It would be an amazing story if Lander sticks it out, puts in the work, and realizes his potential at Indiana. 

I think he has a long way to go, but I'm pulling for him and for that to happen. 

How great would it be to see Lander getting subbed out late in a big tournament win he helped lead us to his senior year and giving Woodson a huge hug to celebrate on the sideline?

Heck I’d take even having a Rob Phinisee moment line last week at this point but no doubt would love for him to have that on senior night or in the tourney or whatever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No you are right. I didn’t realize they extended it to just 20-21. Not sure I understand since last year was unaffected as opposed to 19-20 who lost their postseason.

Look at the scholarship grid on Inside the Hall. Every kid in college during the ‘20-‘21 season got an extra year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thanks for the 1 clip from his freshman year and 1 from his senior year.

I just don't like Rob.  I can have that opinion.  Its my opinion.  No one is going to change that.  Its ok for me to not like him or want to want him to move on.  So just consider my opinion meaningless to you and just ignore me.

I honestly don't know what has happened in the last year but you have become increasingly more aggressive and passionate about your opinion of IU sports and leave almost no room for anyone else to have an opinion that doesn't align with yours.  So please just ignore me and let me have my opinion.  Its just that.  An opinion man.  Sometimes i just don't agree with others and i am open with saying that its just me.  I know everyone else loves rob and wants him to be here forever and ever but i don't.  I just don't like his style of offensive game.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

No you are right. I didn’t realize they extended it to just 20-21. Not sure I understand since last year was unaffected as opposed to 19-20 who lost their postseason.

It was never 19-20 unless it was a spring sport. Spring sports last season didn't get an extra year, like the other two did. Their's was the year before.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Thanks for the 1 clip from his freshman year and 1 from his senior year.

I just don't like Rob.  I can have that opinion.  Its my opinion.  No one is going to change that.  Its ok for me to not like him or want to want him to move on.  So just consider my opinion meaningless to you and just ignore me.

I honestly don't know what has happened in the last year but you have become increasingly more aggressive and passionate about your opinion of IU sports and leave almost no room for anyone else to have an opinion that doesn't align with yours.  So please just ignore me and let me have my opinion.  Its just that.  An opinion man.  Sometimes i just don't agree with others and i am open with saying that its just me.  I know everyone else loves rob and wants him to be here forever and ever but i don't.  I just don't like his style of offensive game.  

I get where you are coming from. I will preface this with saying i do like rob.

But i think having rob on the team is beneficial, if he wants to stick around another year. right now he is our second best PG. if XJ leaves, he may be our best next year. He may also be our 3rd best and never play. thats a something him and CMW will have to talk about. At least we have that option.

If it turns out Lander makes a huge step and JHS is what everyone says he is, and rob doesnt play a minute next year, he will be on the practice squad all up in their faces making them better every day. Also, we were told Lander and Bates were going to be saviors at the guard position. It's hard to put in all that stock into an incoming freshman again, for me anyways. 

Not trying to change your mind, but more so offer a different prospective.

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I get where you are coming from. I will preface this with saying i do like rob.

But i think having rob on the team is beneficial, if he wants to stick around another year. right now he is our second best PG. if XJ leaves, he may be our best next year. He may also be our 3rd best and never play. thats a something him and CMW will have to talk about. At least we have that option.

If it turns out Lander makes a huge step and JHS is what everyone says he is, and rob doesnt play a minute next year, he will be on the practice squad all up in their faces making them better every day. Also, we were told Lander and Bates were going to be saviors at the guard position. It's hard to put in all that stock into an incoming freshman again, for me anyways. 

Not trying to change your mind, but more so offer a different prospective.

That's fine and i understand there are a lot of people who like Rob.  That is cool.  I would rather struggle through younger PG's next year and force them to be better.  Force them to grow and learn and be more.  Rob is never going to be more.  Rob is Rob.  Great Defender, once every couple of year game savior but overall a subpar offensive PG who doesn't move the needle (in my opinion) when leading the team night after night.

But its ok.  I understand and accept i am an outlier here on Rob.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That's fine and i understand there are a lot of people who like Rob.  That is cool.  I would rather struggle through younger PG's next year and force them to be better.  Force them to grow and learn and be more.  Rob is never going to be more.  Rob is Rob.  Great Defender, once every couple of year game savior but overall a subpar offensive PG who doesn't move the needle (in my opinion) when leading the team night after night.

But its ok.  I understand and accept i am an outlier here on Rob.  

I like Rob’s D and think he’s serviceable as a backup. I appreciate his time here, but think it’s time for him to move on. I know most don’t like this topic, but it is a discussion board so I’m going to ask it. Besides Rob, what other person do you think needs to move on? Let’s assume TJD is gone and we aren’t adding any transfers. For me it’s Kopp. Next year is a long way away but if we lose both RT and TJD we’re going to be in for a long one!

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I like Rob’s D and think he’s serviceable as a backup. I appreciate his time here, but think it’s time for him to move on. I know most don’t like this topic, but it is a discussion board so I’m going to ask it. Besides Rob, what other person do you think needs to move on? Let’s assume TJD is gone and we aren’t adding any transfers. For me it’s Kopp. Next year is a long way away but if we lose both RT and TJD we’re going to be in for a long one!

Why wouldn’t TJD stay and get his degree?  

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Everybody thinks that

The truth is a guard heavy offensive is tough to handle. That’s why we struggle now on offensive.  Double the post and force the guards to shoot. The lane is clogged up with somebody always in the post. UM and Dickerson killed us by staying out of the lane and opening it up for drives and hitting perimeter shots. Next years team will have guys like Geronimo and duncomb. Both have proved to better jump shooters than race and trayce. The driving lanes open up for guys like Johnson Galloway and bates.   Loosing race and trayce might hurt worse on defensive end  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Everybody thinks that

The truth is a guard heavy offensive is tough to handle. That’s why we struggle now on offensive.  Double the post and force the guards to shoot. The lane is clogged up with somebody always in the post. UM and Dickerson killed us by staying out of the lane and opening it up for drives and hitting perimeter shots. Next years team will have guys like Geronimo and duncomb. Both have proved to better jump shooters than race and trayce. The driving lanes open up for guys like Johnson Galloway and bates.   Loosing race and trayce might hurt worse on defensive end  

Agreed!! I want a low post player....but more importantly...I want a rim protector more than anything. I can live with my bigs stepping out....even if it's just 18 footers and not 3's. I'm more worried about rim protection and rebounding next year than having a guy to run the offense through.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

No offense...I know you are not trying to put guys down or be purposely negative as it's an honest question but I don't feel like it is right to wish a kid to leave unless they are a program problem etc. It just seems negative and unappreciative of the heart and soul they have put into the program. Also, I don't want to contribute to tearing people down that is likely to come from that type of exercise and these kids get enough hate from social media and other fan forums. Everyone can't stay because we are over the scholarship limit. I do think there are guys who have hinted like Trayce and Kopp that this is more their last go round but I'm not wishing anyone out the door. I think we need to upgrade and get better at some positions and some guys need to continue to really improve but I can see scenarios where we could absolutely miss Kopp and Rob depending on how things shake out. We might lose all or most of our entire starting lineup...veteran leadership...even if in a smaller defined role is still important for culture and continuity and leadership.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

No offense...I know you are not trying to put guys down or be purposely negative as it's an honest question but I don't feel like it is right to wish a kid to leave unless they are a program problem etc. It just seems negative and unappreciative of the heart and soul they have put into the program. Also, I don't want to contribute to tearing people down that is likely to come from that type of exercise and these kids get enough hate from social media and other fan forums. Everyone can't stay because we are over the scholarship limit. I do think there are guys who have hinted like Trayce and Kopp that this is more their last go round but I'm not wishing anyone out the door. I think we need to upgrade and get better at some positions and some guys need to continue to really improve but I can see scenarios where we could absolutely miss Kopp and Rob depending on how things shake out. We might lose all or most of our entire starting lineup...veteran leadership...even if in a smaller defined role is still important for culture and continuity and leadership.

It’s life man. It’s not always fair or ideal. I have always been a big Rob fan, but I think his time is up. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I know it’s taboo to talk about future roster construction, but this is a discussion board. Nobody has to participate if they don’t want to. On top of that, I’m fairly certain I wasn’t disrespectful or hateful about it. I appreciate anybody that chooses to play here and represents us well. I’m still curious to know what the roster will look like next year. Sorry?

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed!! I want a low post player....but more importantly...I want a rim protector more than anything. I can live with my bigs stepping out....even if it's just 18 footers and not 3's. I'm more worried about rim protection and rebounding next year than having a guy to run the offense through.

Don't forget we have Durr. I expect him to start and basically share the minutes at the 5 with Duncomb. Both can knock down the 15-18ft jumper. Durr gives us the banger to play against the bigger centers and Duncomb more of open up the lane, float outside guy. Durr is a capable defender against the big plodders- like we saw in the PU game.

25 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I'm sorry but I can't see any of them playing in the NBA. Or at least not getting any real minutes. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think Bates or Lander will either.  Geronimo has a chance to become a classic 3 and D type guy, one with a ridiculous amount of athleticism.  

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It’s life man. It’s not always fair or ideal. I have always been a big Rob fan, but I think his time is up. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I know it’s taboo to talk about future roster construction, but this is a discussion board. Nobody has to participate if they don’t want to. On top of that, I’m fairly certain I wasn’t disrespectful or hateful about it. I appreciate anybody that chooses to play here and represents us well. I’m still curious to know what the roster will look like next year. Sorry?

You don’t have to be sorry..I just prefer not to say who I want off the team. I believe every single one can come back next year if they choose. I’ll take them all back if they want. Discussing who we want off the team just seems negative…and seems like it would lead to arguing over the negative aspects of all our players…kinda like a UK message board but you are certainly free to discuss. I’d just rather be supportive of them coming back and getting better…even if I know that won’t be the case for them all.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think Bates or Lander will either.  Geronimo has a chance to become a classic 3 and D type guy, one with a ridiculous amount of athleticism.  

Geronimo has the chance to be the real thing that OG Anunoby purportedly was at IU. JG came in as an athlete and is slowly developing into a basketball player. OG was the same, with a ton more hype because the team was better. His Sophomore year, when he was supposed to be “the man” he got hurt, then he left.

I think JG can become an all around player if he wants it bad enough and works his tail off 

• Like 1