Lander

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I saw a lot of promise in high school/AAU footage.  I think his size and youth put him behind the eight ball and you can argue that he was a bad candidate for early entry, but I get it from his perspective...that early year at the college level is bound to be more beneficial than a senior year in high school playing for a mediocre coach.  While I don't know that Khristian thought that about his high school coach, it's certainly possible and I believe likely.  At a minimum, Khristian is practicing with and against much more talented players and that's nearly always a good thing.

Khristian likely knew there were parts of his game that needed more development and I suspect his plan is a little more long term than some of those around him that are supposedly grumbling about his progress and playing time.  We'll eventually see how the story ends, but if he stays with it at IU, I see good things in his future.

This, all day and twice on Sunday...

Out of the kids we've recruited at guard, I think the only other true point guard is Cupps...the rest could be considered combo guards at the very least...

And, like @FKIM01, I saw a few things in his game I really liked when he was out on the court...He has excellent court vision, and is a very good passer...

And playing against Rob and XJ every day is a great thing for his development...

From every thing I've heard and read, he's ok with where he's at and his place on the team...And I respect that...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Looking like Lander is going to possibly redshirt this year as he’s been dealing with plantar fasciitis most of the season.  Barring injury this is the plan.

This makes sense. I think he's got a ton of potential, he's just not strong enough on defense or at the rim, which I think will be a key component to his game because of his speed. Anyone thinking he was one or two and done and not a four + year player was high on goofballs. I do believe Archie was desperate for a recruiting win which stinks for him, but I don't see how he would have been starting at any high level program this year regardless. He's got a year of college games and practices under his belt and still couldn't get on the floor for a team that struggles at the PG position. 

Lander has probably as much potential as anyone on this team outside of Tamar Bates. He just needs to tighten up his game. Take better care of the ball, work on his shot a bit more, and make defense a priority. He has the athleticism and size (I think by next year strength won't be a problem). He has the handles and ability to get to the basket. He would pair very very well with JHS and Bates if he stays and get's better. Those guys while capable of handling the ball and taking their man are not create first point guards...they are looking to score. Lander can be that creative guy that breaks down the defense and opens things up for everyone....kind of like how Johnson has been doing (but hopefully a little more under control). Starting Lander, JHS, Bates is intriguing backcourt for me (if Rob graduates and moves on). Even if Rob stays look at how many minutes are available at PG if he is ready to contribute...he will play 20-25 regardless and that should be enticing for him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Decisions are made on information given to you. If given bad info by someone you are supposed to trust puts some of the blame elsewhere. It was his decision based on a lie

Might be true. I've got no clue! I assume everyone been fed poor information at one point.  

Whats wrong with starting college a year early?  I can get being upset that they were fed to believe he was the savior of the program, one and done but other than mom going off one time calling archie a cheap used car salesman, we don't know what was promised.  

What he has gotten so far is superior strength and conditioning.  Superior nutrition.  A year and a half of higher education.  One year under a mediocre coaching staff.  A full summer and a fall semester under a superior coaching staff.  

I don't get all the feelings going out on behalf of Lander.  If he wanted to be BMOC on a high school campus in Evansville one more year, ha, screw that.  Give me 6 years on IU basketball team any day, any year, and twice in Sunday.  I respect y'all individually but whats the bellyaching about here?  This kid has lost nothing.  Not even a year of eligibility.  He clearly didn't have the goods to be one and done, 2, or even 3.  Regardless of when he came to college or even who was coaching him.  

I'll sit here like that one guy with a sign that says, change my mind.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Whats wrong with starting college a year early?  I can get being upset that they were fed to believe he was the savior of the program, one and done but other than mom going off one time calling archie a cheap used car salesman, we don't know what was promised.  

What he has gotten so far is superior strength and conditioning.  Superior nutrition.  A year and a half of higher education.  One year under a mediocre coaching staff.  A full summer and a fall semester under a superior coaching staff.  

I don't get all the feelings going out on behalf of Lander.  If he wanted to be BMOC on a high school campus in Evansville one more year, ha, screw that.  Give me 6 years on IU basketball team any day, any year, and twice in Sunday.  I respect y'all individually but whats the bellyaching about here?  This kid has lost nothing.  Not even a year of eligibility.  He clearly didn't have the goods to be one and done, 2, or even 3.  Regardless of when he came to college or even who was coaching him.  

Yeah, it really depends on what he was "promised" or sold on.

If he came to IU knowing he'd be a year behind, PT would be tough to get, etc. and was just not being challenged in high school, so be it. If he was told he'd be running point for IUBB from the get go, that's tough.

But he seems happy and engaged with the team. Which is great.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well there is a LOT that goes into that...not the least of all is his mother who had to let her baby go off to school a year early...trust me those types of things are important for some people who are going to be a part of the decision process and if she doesn't think Indiana was fulfilling their end of the bargain. Having to let a child leave home before he/she were ready and when the outcome doesn't match what she was being told would happen I can see her being frustrated...after all she will never get that year back with her child...ever!  HS is very important. I can't say which is more valuable but leaving that behind friends/family/senior season and the accolades he might have achieved for him and his team. Not saying playing at IU wouldn't be greater than that or the benefits of the practice and training won't pay off in the long run but there are a LOT of kids that could reclassify early and few do. Most kids just aren't physically ready to contribute...and why waste a year of eligibility when he really had no business playing. Archie didn't just bring him in for the kids benefit and redshirt him like he did Race....he brought him in for Archie's reasons/benefit....he needed him more than KL needed IU. In the long run I'm hoping it all works out well...and by all accounts he seems to be really buying into the team and Woody and looking to be a Hoosier for 4 years...but I'm not going to sit here and say this was without question the right move for him and his family....praying it works out for all involved but there was certainly sacrifices made and they weren't meaningless.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Lander has probably as much potential as anyone on this team outside of Tamar Bates. He just needs to tighten up his game. Take better care of the ball, work on his shot a bit more, and make defense a priority. He has the athleticism and size (I think by next year strength won't be a problem). He has the handles and ability to get to the basket. He would pair very very well with JHS and Bates if he stays and get's better. Those guys while capable of handling the ball and taking their man are not create first point guards...they are looking to score. Lander can be that creative guy that breaks down the defense and opens things up for everyone....kind of like how Johnson has been doing (but hopefully a little more under control). Starting Lander, JHS, Bates is intriguing backcourt for me (if Rob graduates and moves on). Even if Rob stays look at how many minutes are available at PG if he is ready to contribute...he will play 20-25 regardless and that should be enticing for him.

Not saying Lander or Bates dont have potential, but Geronimo has more potential than either of them.  JG is going to play in the NBA.

• Like 3

Just now, 5fouls said:

Not saying Lander or Bates dont have potential, but Geronimo has more potential than either of them.  JG is going to play in the NBA.

I like his potential no doubt about it...but he REALLY has a lot to clean up. Mostly BBIQ and tightening his handles/passing. He is very raw but immensely talented for sure. I think Bates is more a lock for NBA once the game slows down for him and he gets a bit stronger...but we have a lot of good potential on this team....I trust Woody to develop it much more than Archie...would have loved to have seen what Woody would have done with Langford and that team.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Me thinks that was a desperate move by Miller to quell the alum base with how things were going by getting a top Indiana HS recruit to commit early....also because he had poorly constructed his roster and had Rob as the only point guard on it (who also clearly plays better off the ball then on it). Should have definitely had at least brought in one in the portal. Lander had no business coming in early nor playing last year but to me it was done to try to save face and build will towards Archie getting another year. 

Tactical error by Miller. If Lander had stayed in high school and won Mr Basketball his senior year, Archie could have played the “help is on the way” card last spring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Tactical error by Miller. If Lander had stayed in high school and won Mr Basketball his senior year, Archie could have played the “help is on the way” card last spring. 

Maybe....I doubt anything was saving his job after last year given the on court issues....plus he missed out on the the top 3 kids in the class from the state....Wesley, Furst, and Kaufman....we needed portal help last year imo if he was going to save his job.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well there is a LOT that goes into that...not the least of all is his mother who had to let her baby go off to school a year early...trust me those types of things are important for some people who are going to be a part of the decision process and if she doesn't think Indiana was fulfilling their end of the bargain. Having to let a child leave home before he/she were ready and when the outcome doesn't match what she was being told would happen I can see her being frustrated...after all she will never get that year back with her child...ever!  HS is very important. I can't say which is more valuable but leaving that behind friends/family/senior season and the accolades he might have achieved for him and his team. Not saying playing at IU wouldn't be greater than that or the benefits of the practice and training won't pay off in the long run but there are a LOT of kids that could reclassify early and few do. Most kids just aren't physically ready to contribute...and why waste a year of eligibility when he really had no business playing. Archie didn't just bring him in for the kids benefit and redshirt him like he did Race....he brought him in for Archie's reasons/benefit....he needed him more than KL needed IU. In the long run I'm hoping it all works out well...and by all accounts he seems to be really buying into the team and Woody and looking to be a Hoosier for 4 years...but I'm not going to sit here and say this was without question the right move for him and his family....praying it works out for all involved but there was certainly sacrifices made and they weren't meaningless.

We know his mother was mad at Archie.  Archie is gone.  He seems committed to the program, IU, and the coach.  He could have left and didn't.  

If the intel is correct, he's going to be a Hoosier for 6 years.  He doesn't seem as upset about his situation as some of this board is on his behalf.  

Ive already broken down all that he has gained.  He lost his BMOC senior year in high school.  He already was the bmoc.  Now he's one of 13 scholarship players for a power basketball program, historical blueblood.  Its so far better to be in a program like that, even wadding in mediocrity than a high school senior in Evansville Indiana.  Its so far not even on the map of comparable I can't comprehend this is even a topic.

Im still sitting at my table.  Change my mind.  Not swayed even in the least bit 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe....I doubt anything was saving his job after last year given the on court issues....plus he missed out on the the top 3 kids in the class from the state....Wesley, Furst, and Kaufman....we needed portal help last year imo if he was going to save his job.

Well Lander would have been 2021 also in that scenario.

I had heard Painter and Archie both backed off Wesley? 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

We know his mother was mad at Archie.  Archie is gone.  He seems committed to the program, IU, and the coach.  He could have left and didn't.  

If the intel is correct, he's going to be a Hoosier for 6 years.  He doesn't seem as upset about his situation as some of this board is on his behalf.  

Ive already broken down all that he has gained.  He lost his BMOC senior year in high school.  He already was the bmoc.  Now he's one of 13 scholarship players for a power basketball program, historical blueblood.  Its so far better to be in a program like that, even wadding in mediocrity than a high school senior in Evansville Indiana.  Its so far not even on the map of comparable I can't comprehend this is even a topic.

Im still sitting at my table.  Change my mind.  Not swayed even in the least bit 

He could have still come to IU...and had his senior year with his friends and HS team and his mom would have had her son at home for another year....that is VERY important to some families. He could easily come in and red shirted this year if he wasn't ready physically. I agree in the long run it might benefit him...but I can easily say the decision didn't come without ramifications for him and his family. I can see where the tensions would come from on his side of things if it didn't work out how he was lead to believe it would...or just trusting the staff would have him ready to play when he honestly had no business trying to play and waste a season. I don't know how he is going to be a Hoosier for 6 years...he is a sophomore this year correct? He didn't get a COVID year...that was 2020...unless he plans to take a medical and a traditional red shirt. Anyways if him and his family are all happy that is all that matters...but lot's of kids could reclassify...few do...and not every case would it be beneficial or in the best interest to do so imo. Here's hoping it DOES work out though!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Me thinks that was a desperate move by Miller to quell the alum base with how things were going by getting a top Indiana HS recruit to commit early....also because he had poorly constructed his roster and had Rob as the only point guard on it (who also clearly plays better off the ball then on it). Should have definitely had at least brought in one in the portal. Lander had no business coming in early nor playing last year but to me it was done to try to save face and build will towards Archie getting another year. 

I would guess wanting to play with Trayce was also part of his decision, as well as a desire to be in the same class as his friends Leal and Galloway. But yes, I agree, getting someone as physically unready as Lander to reclass was the short-term act of a coach who felt he needed wins now.

The irony is, we probably have the same season without Lander in '21 ... but the promise of a shiny new five-star PG in the incoming class might have been just enough for Archie to keep his job for another year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm actually really happy to hear this.  i know not many have much hope for him at this point, and i get it.  for some reason i still feel like at some point he can put it together.  

It would be an amazing story if Lander sticks it out, puts in the work, and realizes his potential at Indiana. 

I think he has a long way to go, but I'm pulling for him and for that to happen. 

How great would it be to see Lander getting subbed out late in a big tournament win he helped lead us to his senior year and giving Woodson a huge hug to celebrate on the sideline?

• Like 6