Jump to content

Dick Vitale


Recommended Posts

Met Dickie V at TIS prior to IU Michigan gane. He signed his book Knight Court. At that time he and I talked about how he felt Knight needed to leave now on his own accord because this administration was not Pro Knight. He gave me 10 minutes of his time. We talked about his daughter that had gotten engaged to then QB at Notre Dame, can't remember his name. That night we had court side tix and as we walked behind the ESPN crew DICKIE took a quick minute to say hi. He might be over the top but few if any love the game like he does.  I don't remember if IU won or lost  but I will forever remember when I met the rral Prime Time Player!!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Met Dickie V at TIS prior to IU Michigan gane. He signed his book Knight Court. At that time he and I talked about how he felt Knight needed to leave now on his own accord because this administration was not Pro Knight. He gave me 10 minutes of his time. We talked about his daughter that had gotten engaged to then QB at Notre Dame, can't remember his name. That night we had court side tix and as we walked behind the ESPN crew DICKIE took a quick minute to say hi. He might be over the top but few if any love the game like he does.  I don't remember if IU won or lost  but I will forever remember when I met the rral Prime Time Player!!

Wasn’t the ND QB Ron Powlus?

 

it was Thomas Krug, not Ron Powlus.  Google is my friend 

Edited by IUwins0708
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Wasn’t the ND QB Ron Powlus?

 

it was Thomas Krug, not Ron Powlus.  Google is my friend 

I thought it was Powlus, but he told me it was Krug the one no one knows. Glad you remembered I could  not think of Krugs name. I guess his daughter was an excellent tennis player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Met Dickie V at TIS prior to IU Michigan gane. He signed his book Knight Court. At that time he and I talked about how he felt Knight needed to leave now on his own accord because this administration was not Pro Knight. He gave me 10 minutes of his time. We talked about his daughter that had gotten engaged to then QB at Notre Dame, can't remember his name. That night we had court side tix and as we walked behind the ESPN crew DICKIE took a quick minute to say hi. He might be over the top but few if any love the game like he does.  I don't remember if IU won or lost  but I will forever remember when I met the rral Prime Time Player!!

Very similar. Met him and he talked to us but it was at the Union bookstore. Want to say 1993 range? Loved Vitale for a long time. Wish him good luck as he faces his health issues.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always loved Dick Vitale.  He was passionate about the game.  Love IU basketball and was a huge supporter of Coach Knight.  He knows basketball as well anyone.  Is he a bit much, yeah.  But at least he talks about basketball, unlike that stoner out on the West Coast who does PAC12 games.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I’ll listen to Walton without Tom Hornsby 

vitale  is volume down and podcast 

it’s like Berman and the HR derby….only so many times I can hear back, back, back 

Bill Walton doesn't even make sense most of the time or is talking about something so completely off topic that its amazing he has a job.  I don't know how you can even listen to him.  I would rather punch myself in the ear over and over than have to spent 2 hours listening to him have a acid flashback on camera

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Bill Walton doesn't even make sense most of the time or is talking about something so completely off topic that its amazing he has a job.  I don't know how you can even listen to him.  I would rather punch myself in the ear over and over than have to spent 2 hours listening to him have a acid flashback on camera

Since pot is legal up and down the West Coast, I doubt viewers out there notice his rambling. 
 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Bill Walton doesn't even make sense most of the time or is talking about something so completely off topic that its amazing he has a job.  I don't know how you can even listen to him.  I would rather punch myself in the ear over and over than have to spent 2 hours listening to him have a acid flashback on camera

Bill Walton doing a game is like the Manning cast if both Peyton and Eli were Cheech and Chong lol....or at least if you gave them both psychedelic mushrooms 20 mins before kick off lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Prayers and best wishes to Dickie V. I used to love his over the top enthusiasm back in the day....but over the years did grow tired of the skit....but that all said he seems like a fabulously nice and loving man....respectful and full of love and support for college basketball. Can't hate on that. Hope he get's well soon!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

Bill Walton doing a game is like the Manning cast if both Peyton and Eli were Cheech and Chong lol....or at least if you gave them both psychedelic mushrooms 20 mins before kick off lol. 

Honestly, the real key is that different folks like different things. If I were casually tuning into a game, I would love Walton.  Just like I loved the Manning Cast on MFN for a game I didn't care about (beyond my fantasy team disappointing me again).  The beauty of the Manning Cast was that it was alternative programming, not the main show, so you could still get your normal broadcast elsewhere.  CBB isn't popular enough (well, nothing really is except the NFL) to make sense to simulcast like that, but it would be great IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Honestly, the real key is that different folks like different things. If I were casually tuning into a game, I would love Walton.  Just like I loved the Manning Cast on MFN for a game I didn't care about (beyond my fantasy team disappointing me again).  The beauty of the Manning Cast was that it was alternative programming, not the main show, so you could still get your normal broadcast elsewhere.  CBB isn't popular enough (well, nothing really is except the NFL) to make sense to simulcast like that, but it would be great IMO.

Sitting around a bonfire drinking a beer while Walton smokes whatever he has that day I would be all for, but when he is doing a game and rambling on for ten minutes about nothing I want to jump through the screen and yell at him to shut up. He needs to remember that people want to hear about the game not his incoherent ramblings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Sitting around a bonfire drinking a beer while Walton smokes whatever he has that day I would be all for, but when he is doing a game and rambling on for ten minutes about nothing I want to jump through the screen and yell at him to shut up. He needs to remember that people want to hear about the game not his incoherent ramblings.

If you go back and watch games he did from the 90's he was actually coherent.  He actually was pretty good and stayed with the game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Honestly, the real key is that different folks like different things. If I were casually tuning into a game, I would love Walton.  Just like I loved the Manning Cast on MFN for a game I didn't care about (beyond my fantasy team disappointing me again).  The beauty of the Manning Cast was that it was alternative programming, not the main show, so you could still get your normal broadcast elsewhere.  CBB isn't popular enough (well, nothing really is except the NFL) to make sense to simulcast like that, but it would be great IMO.

Love Manningcast....not sure I love all the guests but some are a delight. The Mannings humor at least is funny and relatable if you have a best friend/brother relationship (which most of us guys have) and they are wicked smart and mostly keep it about the football. Walton can be humorous don't get me wrong....depends on what story he is telling honestly...a lot more miss than hit if you ask me and quite annoying as they seem to go on far far too long. Honestly...he must be very relatable to people out west where drug laws are much much more lax and dealing with and being used to listening to people with the almost skizsophrinic nature of story telling is much more common. Don't get me wrong...I can appreciate a laugh at a few of his ventures down the rabbit hole as well....but turning every game into a weird sports related Alice in Wonderland adventure is not for me lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...