Chris Mack

10 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Somehow he has the lowest job with all the money in the world ranked #1. Being 2nd fiddle sometimes has its perk as well. Been to final 4 3 years ago, currently #1. Seems like a good gig to me

UL is a higher profile job but recent history shows most coaches seem to be happy at current P5 jobs when winning. Haven’t seen a lot of movement from guys when winning. Musselmen and oats come to mind as guys who have no interest. Coaches can win at most P5 schools and get paid. No reason to leave a good situation to have to rebuild. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

UL is a higher profile job but recent history shows most coaches seem to be happy at current P5 jobs when winning. Haven’t seen a lot of movement from guys when winning. Musselmen and oats come to mind as guys who have no interest. Coaches can win at most P5 schools and get paid. No reason to leave a good situation to have to rebuild. 

Ego.  A lot of guys leave a "cushy" P5 job to accept a position at a "better brand."  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Ego.  A lot of guys leave a "cushy" P5 job to accept a position at a "better brand."  

I agree

but most coaches haven’t left good situations to go to programs that are having issues. If pearl leaves auburn for Louisville it is because he has issues with how auburn is treating the program. He can get to final 4a and have the same opportunity to win a championship there has he does at UL. If win you can get players any where. Hardaway does it without winning. The SEC schools have money and the league is getting better. UL has plenty on money too, just not sure it is enough with all the problems

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rico said:

Was listening to a Podcast yesterday where this guy was saying that the idea of going to a "blue blood program" and coaches ego was very true several years ago. The majority of the coaches that he talks with said that coaches have realized they can win anywhere and the SEC has way too much money to even know where to store it let alone spend it all. He really played down the brand because of the impact social media has in general and feels that only former players or assistant coaches may look to make those moves. Thinks that most big name coaches will stay away from UL and that it will be someone like an Archie or Mack moving up not someone already highly established like a Pearl or Cronin. 

I could see MIller from UC at UL and then maybe Sean, Archie and Mack can fight it out to get the UC job to go against Xavier and come full circle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Was listening to a Podcast yesterday where this guy was saying that the idea of going to a "blue blood program" and coaches ego was very true several years ago. The majority of the coaches that he talks with said that coaches have realized they can win anywhere and the SEC has way too much money to even know where to store it let alone spend it all. He really played down the brand because of the impact social media has in general and feels that only former players or assistant coaches may look to make those moves. Thinks that most big name coaches will stay away from UL and that it will be someone like an Archie or Mack moving up not someone already highly established like a Pearl or Cronin. 

At the end of the day it will be who Louisville offers and which candidate accepts.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Does anyone think Archie can get them off the ground if he takes that Louisville job? I'm not sure he can.

No. He was in over his head at IU, it would be the same there.

I texted a buddy of mine who is a big UL fan about this situation and brought up Archie’s name at one point. His two word reply was, “Not funny.” 

Edited by Parakeet Jones

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I could see MIller from UC at UL and then maybe Sean, Archie and Mack can fight it out to get the UC job to go against Xavier and come full circle. 

I can see that. I mean look at the Arizona opening and even UCLA before that (still a big step up for Cronin who likely wasn't ever going to a F4 at Cincy). Heck look at IU....Duke and even UNC....it ain't easy to land a big fish and sometimes continuity or giving a rising star is the way it goes.

That all said....different people are motivated by different things....I'd be surprised if Pearl leaves. They just built a new facility in 2010 and the board of trustees are already meeting discussing upgrades. Guarantee they know they have their man and are looking to capitalize and do everything to keep him there. I would be shocked if Pearl isn't currently negotiating a new contract as we speak. I think he is making 4 million now....100% he will be pushing for 2nd most in the conference (Cal 8mil) and Barnes and Beard who is soon to be in the conference just inked 5 million deals. UL while having tons of cash also have a ton of balances being paid out to in settlements to coaches in both football and basketball....and while I'm sure they will spend a great deal to land their next guy as Mack was making 4 million as well....adding in buyouts etc even they have to reconsider who will be on the table in this current economic climate.

Edited by dgambill

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I feel some sympathy for Mack, but none and I mean ZERO for U of L.

Yep...believe his wife was from the area and won a couple state championships...I imagine it was a dream scenario for her....that's tough to come home and tell your wife I lost my job and we are packing up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Does anyone think Archie can get them off the ground if he takes that Louisville job? I'm not sure he can.

IU basketball is covered in the Louisville media.  Louisville fans are all too familiar with Archie's performance at IU.  If Archie applied, and there was a total of 100 candidates, Archie would be candidate #100 on that list.  Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, and Tom Crean would all rank ahead of Archie in UL fans' list of preferred candidates.    

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU basketball is covered in the Louisville media.  Louisville fans are all too familiar with Archie's performance at IU.  If Archie applied, and there was a total of 100 candidates, Archie would be candidate #100 on that list.  Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, and Tom Crean would all rank ahead of Archie in UL fans' list of preferred candidates.    

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif.d87a07dbfc2e9e352221fee8ba66c991.gif

• Haha 5

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

The top of Louisville fans list is Pearl and Payne, and when all is said and done, I think it will be Payne. No buyout and the alum will be happy, I can't imagine they are real happy with the shape that program has been in lately.

Pearl will get a nice pay raise from Auburn out of this.

I think you are 100% correct 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

To be fair... Sampson and Crean should rank way ahead of him anyways lol 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I definitely think that is true today. With the tv exposure/money available today, a coach can run a very successful program and compete nationally in a school/location they might be more comfortable at. Brad Stevens at Butler and especially Mark Few at Gonzaga are perfect examples. There will always be coaches that want to seek out the "blue blood schools", but I think more and more coaches will be content in staying in a "comfortable" situation.

• Like 2