Chris Mack

31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He is not going to leave that money on the table thats for sure. Butler would be a great fit and better pickup for Butler

Plus they actually might be able to afford him given the salary decrease he would likely have to take compared to some other jobs since UL would be forced to pay him the difference.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Gotcha.  I would think Mack has to take a serious step back.  Not even sure Butler, who thinks they are high and mighty would mess with him with a little tarnish.  

I honestly thought Butler would get Michael Lewis after Jordan but with Mack out there I would think they will at least make the call . Yes the high and mighty thats for sure

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Gotcha.  I would think Mack has to take a serious step back.  Not even sure Butler, who thinks they are high and mighty would mess with him with a little tarnish.  

Too good for Archie and the image that would be...sure. Mack on the other hand I think is seen as a good coach that took on a mess and just wasn't able to turn it around. Anyone going into that UL job a few years ago was going to struggle...and honestly...he did just fine...but recruiting has still struggled and the natives are restless. I guess they don't see the turn around going as fast as they would like.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Too good for Archie and the image that would be...sure. Mack on the other hand I think is seen as a good coach that took on a mess and just wasn't able to turn it around. Anyone going into that UL job a few years ago was going to struggle...and honestly...he did just fine...but recruiting has still struggled and the natives are restless. I guess they don't see the turn around going as fast as they would like.

Wasn't there an issue two summers ago, his assistant coach made some allegations of black mail or something.  Of course they denied it but then it came out it was true.  

I would be shocked if Mack lands at a maryland or a squeaky clean Butler.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wasn't there an issue two summers ago, his assistant coach made some allegations of black mail or something.  Of course they denied it but then it came out it was true.  

I haven't followed them too closely since I left Kentucky...you may very well be absolutely right. If that is the case it certainly will play a factor into his next job search. That said it also goes to show how deep the systematic issues are at UL...it's almost fostered into their culture. On their side of things it might be very hard to bring in a Bruce Pearl then.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I haven't followed them too closely since I left Kentucky...you may very well be absolutely right. If that is the case it certainly will play a factor into his next job search. That said it also goes to show how deep the systematic issues are at UL...it's almost fostered into their culture. On their side of things it might be very hard to bring in a Bruce Pearl then.

Yeah, i would be shocked if they bring in Pearl.  Though they should and he would kill it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah, i would be shocked if they bring in Pearl.  Though they should and he would kill it.  

Bruce will kill it at just about any stop I think he has proven that. He is a good coach and plays a fun and exciting style of basketball that kids enjoy. Couple that with his never ending energy and relationships with the student body that he forges I'd say any passionate fanbase or one with an active student body at the major power 5 level he would recruit well and do well at imo. I mean the guy is out there at rallies painting his chest and going shirtless and buying and delivering pizzas to kids standing in line for tickets. Any school that appreciates that would kill it with Pearl....as long as they are willing to overlook the inevitable minor/grey area infractions that he has and will continue to step his foot into.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Would Painter ever leave Purdue?

I'm not sure he would...regardless of the money...

Cronin and Holtmann are pipes dreams...Lateral move at best...

Never say never but:

he has everything rolling at Purdue…

he says in interviews why do it if it isn’t fun?  Can’t imagine adding stress to your life for no reason 

UL is a great basketball school but it’s not the Big Ten….academically it’s not the Big Ten.  

• Thanks 1

Payne should be the top choice. Can't imagine he would turn it down unless he is just done with college basketball.

They won't offer anyone who's had infractions or scandals (Pearl, Sampson) because it will take years to repair the program's reputation as it is.

No top tier power 5 coach would want to jump into this situation until the dust has settled and all penalties or other concerns are addressed. If one does, you need to look at the situation they are leaving because something is not right. Or they are just chasing the money, which is telling in and of itself.

IU should be reaching out to Kaleb Glenn and Kamari Lands immediately if they open things back up. 

Another example of a coach having success at a lower level and not being able to carry it over at a top level program. Archie and Mack were two of the biggest coaching prospects just 5 years ago and look where they are now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

IU should be reaching out to Kaleb Glenn and Kamari Lands immediately if they open things back up. 

Absolutely.

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Another example of a coach having success at a lower level and not being able to carry it over at a top level program. Archie and Mack were two of the biggest coaching prospects just 5 years ago and look where they are now. 

I thought the same thing re similarity to Archie Miller.  Sometimes, no matter how promising they look, what made them successful simply doesn't translate to the next level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

Payne should be the top choice. Can't imagine he would turn it down unless he is just done with college basketball.

They won't offer anyone who's had infractions or scandals (Pearl, Sampson) because it will take years to repair the program's reputation as it is.

No top tier power 5 coach would want to jump into this situation until the dust has settled and all penalties or other concerns are addressed. If one does, you need to look at the situation they are leaving because something is not right. Or they are just chasing the money, which is telling in and of itself.

Tom Crean

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Bruce will kill it at just about any stop I think he has proven that. He is a good coach and plays a fun and exciting style of basketball that kids enjoy. Couple that with his never ending energy and relationships with the student body that he forges I'd say any passionate fanbase or one with an active student body at the major power 5 level he would recruit well and do well at imo. I mean the guy is out there at rallies painting his chest and going shirtless and buying and delivering pizzas to kids standing in line for tickets. Any school that appreciates that would kill it with Pearl....as long as they are willing to overlook the inevitable minor/grey area infractions that he has and will continue to step his foot into.

Orange man bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Pat Forde's list of UL coaching prospects, including fan favorites:

Pearl - says no chance they hire a guy whose been sanctioned twice

Pitino - non starter

Kenny Payne

Matt Painter

Mick Cronin

Steve Forbes, Wake Forest

Mark Pope

Chris Holtman

Kevin Willard

Danny Hurley

Matt McMahon, Murray ST

Wes Miller

Scott Davenport, Bellarmine

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/26/chris-mack-out-louisville-basketball-future

I think Payne would have to be strong favorite if they can look past his association with KY and Calipari

Not very many inspiring names there lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In my opinion UL is only an approvement for a few guys and those guys I don't think deserve to be in the conversation.  Pearl would be crazy to consider it. As would Cronin. The rest are kinda meh to me..

You have the Pearl thing backwards.  UL is a higher profile job than Auburn.

It's UL that would be crazy to consider Pearl.  That's asking for the Death Penalty.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep. It was his assistant Dino Gaudio. ESPN was talking about it earlier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It's UL that would be crazy to consider Pearl.  That's asking for the Death Penalty.  

Somehow he has the lowest job with all the money in the world ranked #1. Being 2nd fiddle sometimes has its perk as well. Been to final 4 3 years ago, currently #1. Seems like a good gig to me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

I think it could be argued that both of them walked into terrible circumstances.  Louisville's athletic department is a dumpster fire and appears to be at war with the administration.  We all know the issues IU had.  Like our current team, that's not as good as it looks sometimes, or as bad as it appears others, the same can be said about Miller and Mack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landrus13 said:

Yep. It was his assistant Dino Gaudio. ESPN was talking about it earlier.

I knew it.  I was searching for Geno, Gino, not Dino.  

Dino lost his mind.  Does sound like Mack was skirting the tules like anyone else.  Did get suspended 6 games so he did something wrong.  

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/27/louisville-dino-gaudio-chris-mack-meeting-extortion

53 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I knew it.  I was searching for Geno, Gino, not Dino.  

Dino lost his mind.  Does sound like Mack was skirting the tules like anyone else.  Did get suspended 6 games so he did something wrong.  

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/27/louisville-dino-gaudio-chris-mack-meeting-extortion

Man...that transcript was embarrassing for both parties.  Gaudio sounds like a friggin' mafioso and and Mack sounds like weak sauce.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Regardless of what some of us think it would be interesting to see what names are surfacing in a backroom in Louisville.