DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seems like a good annual topic so I'll start one for this year. 

Have most of the materials I need to finish out my deck here soon. 

Here is a good one I don't recommend. Good for a laugh though.  My mom put anti freeze in the garage shop toilet to keep the water from freezing. 

You building a new deck or repairing? How big you making it? Don't forget the pics!

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seems like a good annual topic so I'll start one for this year. 

Have most of the materials I need to finish out my deck here soon. 

Here is a good one I don't recommend. Good for a laugh though.  My mom put anti freeze in the garage shop toilet to keep the water from freezing. 

I remember a friend asked me over to help with a deck. More like an entrance porch as it was only about 6'*6'. When I got there all he had was a hand saw and a 5# maul??? Actually, turned out pretty well! Definitely earned my beers that day!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Well, as some of you may remember, i built a house starting late 17, got rolling in 18, moved in in 19, sold in 20, moved across the street into a a huge gut job.  I was so busy working on this place I never chatted about it.  

One day Ill do a photo dump but i have 3k of treated sitting in the driveway, 17 footers hand dug already full of concrete.  Just waiting on the weather to break before we demo the old deck and make it about twice as big.  I've been working on my kitchen backsplash since early December, hoping to finish grout tomorrow.  Need the weather to crack a little warmer to break the saw out so I can finish trim.  

Also have an almost 4 month old and 3 year old amongst the chaos.  Im tired and going to bed 😂

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Finishing repairing part of it, and complete rebuild of the back probably make it bigger in the back. 

It wraps around the front, one side, and back so pretty big. 

That why I never liked decks. Too much maintenance. I would only consider Trex for that reason. Otherwise concrete or pavers. I want something that will last longer than I will be in the house and require the least amount of effort to maintain. Pressure washing, staining, etc ...Done that too many times.

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

That why I never liked decks. Too much maintenance. I would only consider Trex for that reason. Otherwise concrete or pavers. I want something that will last longer than I will be in the house and require the least amount of effort to maintain. Pressure washing, staining, etc ...Done that too many times.

The deck came with house and was poorly constructed to begin with. 

But with so many more options now I will opt for something else in the future. 

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unexpected DIY  pipe on hot water heater broke, flooded laundry room on way to Lowes now. Fun times!!

Sorry for your problems B, but when it comes to plumbing problems, expect  you’ll make at least three trips. Plumbing is what it is!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:01 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Seconded. I hate $&@ing plumbing. 

Seconded.

I told my father-in-law once as we were completely re-plumbing a small 3BR house, that I'd rather be whipped than do plumbing.  We got it done in a weekend but I mostly hired professionals after that

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:27 PM, Reacher said:

That why I never liked decks. Too much maintenance. I would only consider Trex for that reason. 

I used Trex for the 20' deck across the entire back of my house. I'll never use that $hit again. You order 20' long pieces and one piece is 20'-1" the next piece is 20'-2". Not 2 of them are the same length. So you cannot mass cut them to length. You have to drag one at a time to your cutting station. We get direct sunlight on the deck almost all day long and the stuff expands and contracts over an inch. The "concealed" fasteners aren't long enough to hold the ends down for that much expansion/contraction. So I'm constantly having to reposition the fasteners, use sister joists, etc to make it right.

Plus, the stuff is way over priced. I'll use the "knock off stuff" from the box stores or a lumber yard before I'll ever buy Trex again.

Just my 2¢

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DWB said:

I used Trex for the 20' deck across the entire back of my house. I'll never use that $hit again. You order 20' long pieces and one piece is 20'-1" the next piece is 20'-2". Not 2 of them are the same length. So you cannot mass cut them to length. You have to drag one at a time to your cutting station. We get direct sunlight on the deck almost all day long and the stuff expands and contracts over an inch. The "concealed" fasteners aren't long enough to hold the ends down for that much expansion/contraction. So I'm constantly having to reposition the fasteners, use sister joists, etc to make it right.

Plus, the stuff is way over priced. I'll use the "knock off stuff" from the box stores or a lumber yard before I'll ever buy Trex again.

Just my 2¢

I used lowes brand Dekorators Tropics for the last house I built.  The look was just as good but wasn't wrapped all the way around.  The fasteners seems to work ok.  The expansion wasn't terrible.  I noticed ot more in yhe winter with the shrinkage.    Not too big a deal, imo.  My dad has a deck he used 1stish generation composite from menards about 20 years ago and it still looks new.  

Not sure what we are using yet for this deck rebuild I'm about to embark on.  May still go with the grey Dekorators but the brown was hot hot in summer and ii want to eventually be able to barefoot to the boat and back.  Huge first world issues.  

I don't think home Depot has/had any off brand offerings.  Menards has a few options.  From chatting with neighbors on morse boaters, the only decks that aren't crazy hot are pvc and the price point is just insane.  Dekorators was like $32, trex $50, pvc $70.  Some neighbors said they will never used treated because you wind up needing, stain, sealed or painted every 3 years.  

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not sure what we are using yet for this deck rebuild I'm about to embark on.  May still go with the grey Dekorators but the brown was hot hot in summer and ii want to eventually be able to barefoot to the boat and back.  Huge first world issues.  

My Trex is light gray, and it still gets 150° in the summer, and even on a sunny day in the spring. I think it's the nature of the beast. Too hot to walk barefoot on for sure.

HD does carry a knock off brand, but you probably can't find it with the supply chain issues going on.

Edited by DWB

4 hours ago, DWB said:

My Trex is light gray, and it still gets 150° in the summer, and even on a sunny day in the spring. I think it's the nature of the beast. Too hot to walk barefoot on for sure.

HD does carry a knock off brand, but you probably can't find it with the supply chain issues going on.

Thanks.  

I just got back from Menards.  What an embarrassment of options.  The brand name and only brand on display was ultra deck.  The only one that didn't look like total junk was $86 per 16 footer.  The cheaper tiers looked so cheap and terrible, even the display models that couldn't be walked on had horrible scratches and streaks.  And they were comparable in price to trex entry line.  Get it together Menards.  

I will have to check out HD and get an order in asap if we go that direction.  

I might have to just toughen up my feet like we did as kids.  I need to suck it up. 

At $14 per 16 footer for treated decking, I may go old school and just paint it.  Ugh

On 1/30/2022 at 4:09 PM, NotIThatLives said:

At $14 per 16 footer for treated decking, I may go old school and just paint it.  Ugh

FWIW....you might really regret "painting" treated decking. Staining will do the trick, but if you have any foot traffic at all the paint will start to peel in a month.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

FWIW....you might really regret "painting" treated decking. Staining will do the trick, but if you have any foot traffic at all the paint will start to peel in a month.

Dang.  Well my neighbor said he was staining his every 3 years to keep it looking good and not because he was anal but because it needed it.  Guess its back to the composite. 

28 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have you ever thought about cedar? Just saying?

It seems that the "old timers" knew things that were inherent to last. They new to save their nuts and bolts and screws in old baby food jars. We are talking about a 16' made up board, that cost $86 that sux to nail down and is not the right color. We have the worst case of first world problems, because our grand/ parents knew what wood to use and to keep their old nuts, bolts and screws in baby food jars. 

**This is not a dig on anyone, their projects or their ability, it's honestly more a self reflection on where we were and what we've came from .  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:52 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

It seems that the "old timers" knew things that were inherent to last. They new to save their nuts and bolts and screws in old baby food jars. We are talking about a 16' made up board, that cost $86 that sux to nail down and is not the right color. We have the worst case of first world problems, because our grand/ parents knew what wood to use and to keep their old nuts, bolts and screws in baby food jars. 

**This is not a dig on anyone, their projects or their ability, it's honestly more a self reflection on where we were and what we've came from .  

I’ve got 2-3 Costco-sized peanut butter jars full of miscellaneous hardware. Unless it’s bent and/or stripped, I keep it. 

• Like 2