DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I couldn't remember what my guys were calling so I googled and found this article.  We considered some gray or black granites with the weathered or rustic look.  Iirc the industry calls it honed or brushed.  This explains them. 

https://www.archcitygranite.com/polished-honed-brushed-finish-granite-choice/

Leathered granite has been the term I've been hearing. I had to look it up when I first heard the term.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Anyone else found the "This old House Makers Channel"? I found it on Roku.

This is going to be time consuming !

I love watching TOH when it’s on. My wife…not so much. 
I’m pretty sure my dad still has the coffee mug with the plain house that has color added when you put a hot drink in it. 
Last time I checked there were a bunch of episodes of The New Yankee Workshop on YouTube. 

• Like 1

Any electricians or handy men on here?  I was unscrewing a burned out light bulb in the kitchen and heard small pop or sizzle and now the 2 light fixtures in our kitchen won't come on at all, along with the overhead light in the nearby hallway and half bathroom.  Everything else in the house works fine.  I've flipped all the breakers on the panel but no luck.  Suggestions?

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Any electricians or handy men on here?  I was unscrewing a burned out light bulb in the kitchen and heard small pop or sizzle and now the 2 light fixtures in our kitchen won't come on at all, along with the overhead light in the nearby hallway and half bathroom.  Everything else in the house works fine.  I've flipped all the breakers on the panel but no luck.  Suggestions?

It would be odd, but not unheard of….is there a separate ground fault receptacle on the circuit somewhere? Code doesn’t require it for lights in a kitchen (outlets, yes) but it wouldn’t be the craziest thing if there was one. 

If no….do you own a circuit tester or multimeter? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

An even more odd possibility than what Zline said... What type of light fixture was it that you were removing the bulb from? Was it an actual multi bulb fixture, or one of the single bulb things that crew directly into the elec box in the ceiling? Did the fixture seem loose or seem to turn any as you unscrewed the bulb? I'm wondering if there was a wire attached inside the box that wasn't totally attached securely and maybe it popped off by accident. 

This is prob x10 more odd than what Z said but there could be some weird there may be some shared common wire used in that box. Like I said, it's a stretch but I would investigate. 

I'm battling a similar electrical issue. I have LED dawn to dusk coach lights installed on my garage. I noticed them flickering for a few nights and now they are out. Light bulbs are still good, Checked fuse and even opened up wall switched to see if any wiring was loose. I think I may have call in an electrician. Anything else I can check?

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm battling a similar electrical issue. I have LED dawn to dusk coach lights installed on my garage. I noticed them flickering for a few nights and now they are out. Light bulbs are still good, Checked fuse and even opened up wall switched to see if any wiring was loose. I think I may have call in an electrician. Anything else I can check?

Got an old extension cord you'd be willing to sacrifice? I have a 3' section that I cut the female end off of and use as a lighting fixture test rig.  Just use wire nuts to connect black-black, white-white and ground-ground, and you can test the fixture independently. 

Now, a couple of questions...

1) are these screw in LED bulbs or integrated LED fixtures?

2) Are they on any kind of dimmer/timer?

3) Describe the flickering.  Intermittent? Completely off/completely on, or did it just go bright-dim?

On 5/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, dbmhoosier said:

Did you check the other bulbs?  Did you unscrew the bulb with the fixture turned on?

Almost sounds like a surge that caused the circuit to overload. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Got an old extension cord you'd be willing to sacrifice? I have a 3' section that I cut the female end off of and use as a lighting fixture test rig.  Just use wire nuts to connect black-black, white-white and ground-ground, and you can test the fixture independently. 

3) Describe the flickering.  Intermittent? Completely off/completely on, or did it just go bright-dim?

48 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Did you check the other bulbs?  Did you unscrew the bulb with the fixture turned on?

Almost sounds like a surge that caused the circuit to overload. 

3 screw in bulbs. They were only a year old so when the first checked out fine, I didn't bother checking the others. I will tonight. There is a dusk to dawn timer. I covered the photocell when checking with a replacement bulb.  As for the flickering, I can't recall if they dimmed or went out. 

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Since you seem to be electrifying...... 🤪 Here's a weird one for you.

I have 4 outside lights in my overhang. They are canisters with standard LED screw in 40w bulbs. They are all wired parallel from the single pole switch which is a dimmer (and I've tried 3 different ones).

Wire it all up, looks good. Wait until dark and one light bulb is slightly, very dimly on. WTF?? hmmm bad dimmer letting a slight trickle of juice through. Turn switch off, use meter to test fir current across the supply wires. ZERO. Light still on. Change the switch/ dimmer. Bulb still lite. 

Sobered up, the next day, went back to make sure there wasn't some separate set of wires I'd accidentally jumped in there... NOPE. It's switch with one black being broken through the switch and one white going to each canister. arggh.. Removed dimmer/ switch again and put in one simple single pole switch. You guessed it, bulb still barely lit. That was a year ago, I gave up. It's like the friggin thing makes its own juice.     

5 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Since you seem to be electrifying...... 🤪 Here's a weird one for you.

I have 4 outside lights in my overhang. They are canisters with standard LED screw in 40w bulbs. They are all wired parallel from the single pole switch which is a dimmer (and I've tried 3 different ones).

Wire it all up, looks good. Wait until dark and one light bulb is slightly, very dimly on. WTF?? hmmm bad dimmer letting a slight trickle of juice through. Turn switch off, use meter to test fir current across the supply wires. ZERO. Light still on. Change the switch/ dimmer. Bulb still lite. 

Sobered up, the next day, went back to make sure there wasn't some separate set of wires I'd accidentally jumped in there... NOPE. It's switch with one black being broken through the switch and one white going to each canister. arggh.. Removed dimmer/ switch again and put in one simple single pole switch. You guessed it, bulb still barely lit. That was a year ago, I gave up. It's like the friggin thing makes its own juice.     

Put a capacitor in line before the first canister. 

• Like 1

So I have to fix my refrigerator today when the part comes in. The evaporator heater that keeps the coil from frosting over went bad. 

$17 part, all I have to do is remove a panel at the rear of the freezer, replace heater and plug it in. It is in a side by side. Have to keep my food happy.

Makes me wonder how much people spend on repairmen or new appliances when they are relatively easy to fix most of the time.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So I have to fix my refrigerator today when the part comes in. The evaporator heater that keeps the coil from frosting over went bad. 

$17 part, all I have to do is remove a panel at the rear of the freezer, replace heater and plug it in. It is in a side by side. Have to keep my food happy.

Makes me wonder how much people spend on repairmen or new appliances when they are relatively easy to fix most of the time.

Who do you use for parts?! Repair clinic?

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Pretty sure I have a half dozen rolls of duct tape. Can't find a single one. Was much more organized when I had a truck bed tool box. 

I moved about 18 months ago.  As I was packing up the garage, I found no less than 14 pencils, 4 rolls of electrical tape and 3 tape measures in various random locations. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...