DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow DIY’ers this is a public service announcement. 
So I bought this 90% complete refurbed house in Mobile ( roll tide!). 2000’ sq ft, brand new FLOATING floored house. If you are wondering about what FLOATING flooring it had installed, it was FLOATING Imitation wood grain  flooring. FLOATING!!

Quit, stop, don't do it, retreat, scurry off, from screwing down EVERY EFFING board around the perimeter UNDER the already installed base board . The floating part means the middle will become a balloon if the perimeter is fastened down!!! It’s gotta FLOAT somewhere! 

if you can’t follow this DEF CON PLAID (space balls speed reference) Warning, do not, I repeat, do not install a FLOATING floor without adult supervision!  

The positive part about Mobile life, I’ve not had shoes on for two weeks! The Bay is my bath! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Hey fellow DIY’ers this is a public service announcement. 
So I bought this 90% complete refurbed house in Mobile ( roll tide!). 2000’ sq ft, brand new FLOATING floored house. If you are wondering about what FLOATING flooring it had installed, it was FLOATING Imitation wood grain  flooring. FLOATING!!

Quit, stop, don't do it, retreat, scurry off, from screwing down EVERY EFFING board around the perimeter UNDER the already installed base board . The floating part means the middle will become a balloon if the perimeter is fastened down!!! It’s gotta FLOAT somewhere! 

if you can’t follow this DEF CON PLAID (space balls speed reference) Warning, do not, I repeat, do not install a FLOATING floor without adult supervision!  

The positive part about Mobile life, I’ve not had shoes on for two weeks! The Bay is my bath! 

Is your neck getting redder? :D

• Haha 3

Welcome back for this episode of, "This is my life". 

SO I bought this house down in Mobile, which like most places, if Africa hot, right now. I had trouble in Jan/ Feb heating the house to above 55 and now, cooling keeps it below 89 most days.

The AC/ heat source was old and sucked, so I had a new unit installed. Woohoo, success as it now will keep it under 84... arggh. THat not being acceptable I decided to investigate the attic. This was a total fresh remodel when I bought it 02Jan. I found that the construction crew left 3, 8" ducts in the attach just blowing out into the attic. Never put them through the ceiling, just pumping out heat/ cool air into the attic.

So now I have a HOT weekend project. I was going to hire it done. All that needs to be done, is cut 3 register holes in the ceiling, simply stick the register boots into the holes and secure, everything is literally there. Their quote was, it would start at $1,000 and go up fro there as needed... 

I will report my weight loss from the attic heat in the over weight guys thread. 🤪

Thanks for listening, stay cool out there.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Welcome back for this episode of, "This is my life". 

SO I bought this house down in Mobile, which like most places, if Africa hot, right now. I had trouble in Jan/ Feb heating the house to above 55 and now, cooling keeps it below 89 most days.

The AC/ heat source was old and sucked, so I had a new unit installed. Woohoo, success as it now will keep it under 84... arggh. THat not being acceptable I decided to investigate the attic. This was a total fresh remodel when I bought it 02Jan. I found that the construction crew left 3, 8" ducts in the attach just blowing out into the attic. Never put them through the ceiling, just pumping out heat/ cool air into the attic.

So now I have a HOT weekend project. I was going to hire it done. All that needs to be done, is cut 3 register holes in the ceiling, simply stick the register boots into the holes and secure, everything is literally there. Their quote was, it would start at $1,000 and go up fro there as needed... 

I will report my weight loss from the attic heat in the over weight guys thread. 🤪

Thanks for listening, stay cool out there.  

Dude, start loading up on the fluids.  Take lots of breaks.  Heck, maybe even get up before sunrise and get started.  

My baby boy's room is struggling to keep up, hot and cold.  Im fixing to put an in line fan in his duct because you can barely feel anything.  I need to get the fan and all the materials and next time we have a decently cool morning get rolling as soon as he wakes up.  I have a scuttle access in his room.  

Good luck.  Report back so we know you are doing ok with the heat   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dude, start loading up on the fluids.  Take lots of breaks.  Heck, maybe even get up before sunrise and get started.  

My baby boy's room is struggling to keep up, hot and cold.  Im fixing to put an in line fan in his duct because you can barely feel anything.  I need to get the fan and all the materials and next time we have a decently cool morning get rolling as soon as he wakes up.  I have a scuttle access in his room.  

Good luck.  Report back so we know you are doing ok with the heat   

OH that reminds me of chapter 2. There is a nice big scuttle 60' away on the opposite end of the house and the attic is about 44" tall. There is also one, that I can not get my shoulders through, 4 feet away from where I need to get to. So I start my making one heck of a mess, making a bigger hole.

Contemplating setting it all on fire and having a new one built.. hahaha  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

OH that reminds me of chapter 2. There is a nice big scuttle 60' away on the opposite end of the house and the attic is about 44" tall. There is also one, that I can not get my shoulders through, 4 feet away from where I need to get to. So I start my making one heck of a mess, making a bigger hole.

Contemplating setting it all on fire and having a new one built.. hahaha  

Dang.  Yeah maybe go ahead and make a bigger whole that makes sense and is actually useful.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dang.  Yeah maybe go ahead and make a bigger while that makes sense and is actually useful.  

OH most definitely! Doing the crab crawl across ceiling joist 2,3,4x because you forgot some little 1/4" nut driver... NOPE. we will have a hole you can drive a truck through.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This might look like a crappy poorly constructed bench and it is but it cost $0 to build. I had a pile of old deck wood sitting in the back of the shed for 6 or more years and the wife always says get rid of it and I say I will. I got home Sunday after playing golf and a big pile of lumber from the shed was thrown in the drive way behind my car. (Ayden and I took the jeep to go golf) her not so subtle way of saying I will is now.

Not having a truck available on Sunday I decided to make 2 benches. All the old wood and even had a coffee can full of all the old deck screws. The paint was from a project a year or so ago. This piece of work cost me nothing. 

It may not look great but I plan on putting near her flower garden and I made a little plaque for it honoring her Mom that died a little over a year ago. During her fight with cancer she would say I.might be old and people might think worthless but I still have a lot of life in me. This old pile of wood and screws still had a lot of life left in them.

20220809_175605.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/9/2022 at 5:05 PM, Billingsley99 said:

This might look like a crappy poorly constructed bench and it is but it cost $0 to build. I had a pile of old deck wood sitting in the back of the shed for 6 or more years and the wife always says get rid of it and I say I will. I got home Sunday after playing golf and a big pile of lumber from the shed was thrown in the drive way behind my car. (Ayden and I took the jeep to go golf) her not so subtle way of saying I will is now.

Not having a truck available on Sunday I decided to make 2 benches. All the old wood and even had a coffee can full of all the old deck screws. The paint was from a project a year or so ago. This piece of work cost me nothing. 

It may not look great but I plan on putting near her flower garden and I made a little plaque for it honoring her Mom that died a little over a year ago. During her fight with cancer she would say I.might be old and people might think worthless but I still have a lot of life in me. This old pile of wood and screws still had a lot of life left in them.

20220809_175605.jpg

Nice work and I love the sentiment about the MIL. 
Now that the wife has a system for getting things done, I’d change that lock on the shed asap!! 😉

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Nice work and I love the sentiment about the MIL. 
Now that the wife has a system for getting things done, I’d change that lock on the shed asap!! 😉

I kid you not she kept saying she wanted new flooring in the kitchen. I came home one day and she had ripped all the Laminate floor up and it was piled on front porch. So next day new floors

I though I had her all figured out so I decided to take all my clothes off and be lying on her side of the bed when she walked in. She turned the lights on and said I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I kid you not she kept saying she wanted new flooring in the kitchen. I came home one day and she had ripped all the Laminate floor up and it was piled on front porch. So next day new floors

I though I had her all figured out so I decided to take all my clothes off and be lying on her side of the bed when she walked in. She turned the lights on and said I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight. 

A buddy I grew up with always told a story about his grandma and grampa. Catholic, traditional BIG family. Some winter ~50's they were running out of wood to heat the house. Grampa was in some kinda slump and being lazy and ignored several request from Gramdma to go cut some wood. Well one day she had enough and started ripping the siding off the house to burn.

Grampa suddenly came out of his funk.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

With the weather cooling off I'm finally going to get around to overdue projects starting with replacing wall outlets. Found theses for $115 a 10 pack on Amazon.  Screenshot_20221008-092416_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a0059c38f8a3ce852b3d968dd4d5ce68.jpg

also going to replace all of my old powerstrip/surge protectors. 

So I'm guessing the "not for laptops" statements means you cannot charge a laptop with the USB or USB-C outlets? 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I'm guessing the "not for laptops" statements means you cannot charge a laptop with the USB or USB-C outlets? 

Nope. USB ports on laptops are set up to deliver power to auxiliary devices.  The USB-C on the outlet is rated at 3.0 Amps and can deliver 5V.  Laptops need 8-12V to charge. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

What a concept.

GAME

CHANGER! The simplest solutions are right under our nose most of the time.

I don't have room for a whole house softener and the wife complains about dry skin and brittle tangled hair. Shes naturally curly so sometimes she can take on the appearance of a Doc Brown hair do. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm also going to plumb in a 3 function diverter valve and go with a single handle and waterfall spout. All in matte black finish. 

I once was in a Hotel room that had that huge ~24" straight down from the ceiling, shower head. Seems like a good idea, right?

WELL, handle placement is everything. They positioned theirs in a way that you had to be standing under the water to turn on the handle. We all know that the first water out of the faucet is cold like Antarctica... "Shriveling"! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I once was in a Hotel room that had that huge ~24" straight down from the ceiling, shower head. Seems like a good idea, right?

WELL, handle placement is everything. They positioned theirs in a way that you had to be standing under the water to turn on the handle. We all know that the first water out of the faucet is cold like Antarctica... "Shriveling"! 

The kit I found has a rainfall showeread. I can't find any combos with a filter showerhead so I had to buy that separately.  I though about seeing if I could just swap out the part that distributes the water. Now I'll be sure to consider placement of everything. 

• Like 1