DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

On 1/31/2022 at 11:52 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

It seems that the "old timers" knew things that were inherent to last. They new to save their nuts and bolts and screws in old baby food jars. We are talking about a 16' made up board, that cost $86 that sux to nail down and is not the right color. We have the worst case of first world problems, because our grand/ parents knew what wood to use and to keep their old nuts, bolts and screws in baby food jars. 

**This is not a dig on anyone, their projects or their ability, it's honestly more a self reflection on where we were and what we've came from .  

If a nut or bolt exists I probably have it. And it probably came off of something I was working on and forgot where it went. I'm the jar it goes. My grandpa had a toolbox just for nuts and bolts ect.  

An underrated and underutilized piece of hardware...the washer. You can fix so many things by just using a washer. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Unexpected DIY  pipe on hot water heater broke, flooded laundry room on way to Lowes now. Fun times!!

On 1/28/2022 at 6:01 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Seconded. I hate $&@ing plumbing. 

I actually like plumbing, with the exception of manhandling a used toilet.

I like it so much God just decided to give me a project.  Supply line just burst under my house. So no water until tomorrow.  At least the forecast for tomorrow is wamer. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I like it so much God just decided to give me a project.  Supply line just burst under my house. So no water until tomorrow.  At least the forecast for tomorrow is wamer. 

That sucks. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

At least I was home to be able to turn the water off. Saved me $$$

Makes me wonder how many people know where to shut the water off to their house?

Two things I do religiously when I leave to go visit my grand babies, shut the power off to the water heater and the pump! Remember as a kid, the neighbors coming home to a heated pool in their basement!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good luck. That does not sound like much fun

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If a nut or bolt exists I probably have it. And it probably came off of something I was working on and forgot where it went. I'm the jar it goes. My grandpa had a toolbox just for nuts and bolts ect.  

An underrated and underutilized piece of hardware...the washer. You can fix so many things by just using a washer. 

I have a lot of nuts and bolts but my issue is organization. One of these days I'll get around to it... In the meantime, if a quick search doesn't produce what I'm looking for, I'll drive 5 minutes to the Ace Hardware store to get what I need. Half time that just exacerbates the problem because I'll have some leftovers to add to the eventually get organized pile.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I have a lot of nuts and bolts but my issue is organization. One of these days I'll get around to it... In the meantime, if a quick search doesn't produce what I'm looking for, I'll drive 5 minutes to the Ace Hardware store to get what I need. Half time that just exacerbates the problem because I'll have some leftovers to add to the eventually get organized pile.

This is me and plumbing fittings. Knowing that any plumbing project, no matter how small, requires 3 trips to the hardware store I always buy extra fittings. I've got enough crap laying around to plumb a small subdivision!

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

This is me and plumbing fittings. Knowing that any plumbing project, no matter how small, requires 3 trips to the hardware store I always buy extra fittings. I've got enough crap laying around to plumb a small subdivision!

I guess it is time to add an extra bathroom in your new house :D

• Haha 1

We’ve had a bike shortage around here since the pandemic and honestly, I don’t like the look of all the super expensive carbon bikes they sell these days. They all look/seem the same to me. So, I’ve started amassing parts to build two bikes this Spring. I’m about halfway through the first build. 

This first build is a Italian-produced steel Ciocc frame that I got in November off of Ebay. The seller said it was made by the famous frame builder Giovanni Pelizzoli in 1979 and then refurbished by him in 2020. I thought it might have just been made up, but the logos are stenciled on (Instead of decals) and it came with a photo of the frame signed by Pelizzoli.

I’ve found all Italian parts for this first build and had to buy some bike-specific tools to put it together, but I like having a project. Had a day off on Wednesday and installed the headset, bottom bracket and Campagnolo racing crankset.

I have tires arriving today and should be able to complete the build by late next week. It’s going to be a single-speed bike for short trips and fun rides in the park.

And yes, I am having to do this in our kitchen, b/c we don’t have a garage or anything like that. 

8AF6C43F-0E49-4EE1-9346-4F38B08FE120.jpeg

83D990AD-3B53-4817-BC6C-2AFB46544A6A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, BeerBQ said:

It looks like my next side project (away from finishing the basement) will be adding a cup rinser to our sink. 

Anyone put one in before?

I wasn't aware they had residential versions. Kinda of neat.  Have to make sure the wife doesn't see this.  I'd imagine it to be a pretty easy install- as long as you can contort your body to get under your sink! Good luck.

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

I wasn't aware they had residential versions. Kinda of neat.  Have to make sure the wife doesn't see this.  I'd imagine it to be a pretty easy install- as long as you can contort your body to get under your sink! Good luck.

Weirdest thing, I posted about the self serve beer room in a different thread. Once you are accustomed to the place, you realize they have glass rinsers at the end of the serving tray. ... Even as a raging alcoholic, I find myself making excuses to have a glass to go rinse. They are that friggin cool to use! I highly recommend them for e'rrbody !  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reacher said:

I’ve been deceived. My wife mentioned it in passing and I got on board right away. Now she said she wants a new faucet eventually and asked if it made more sense to do it all now while we’re working there. 

The install doesn’t look too bad. You pick hot or cold and add a T to it with a line for the rinser. It will go in the kitchen where the cabinet is decent sized so I should be able to get to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Weirdest thing, I posted about the self serve beer room in a different thread. Once you are accustomed to the place, you realize they have glass rinsers at the end of the serving tray. ... Even as a raging alcoholic, I find myself making excuses to have a glass to go rinse. They are that friggin cool to use! I highly recommend them for e'rrbody !  

What thread is that? A self serve beer room sounds interesting.

16 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

What thread is that? A self serve beer room sounds interesting.

You really expect me to remember what thread? That was WAY too many beers ago, Amigo! hahaha

Anyway, Little town of Gosport, IN. CJ's pizza put in a tap room and it is self serve. They've about 12 different small/ microbrew options and a couple of the normal commerical beers (like Bud, Busch). You get a little credit card thingy, place it on the card reader, dispense your beverage and it logs it by the ounce. It's a pretty freaking cool concept.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just started a laundry room remodeling project. Finished 1 wall except for the trim. 

20220308_210033.jpg

I'm going to be doing something with our laundry room this spring. Hopefully not too ambitious. I know it will get some fresh paint. Doing a barnwood accent wall would probably look good...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get to watch too much of the tournament this weekend as I finished our bathroom remodel so as to be complete for a birthday party we hosted on Sun. 

This was the last phase of the bedroom to office conversions I started in Nov and shared on here. 

Last year I replaced a tub with a shower. Of course, that meant the rest of the bathroom needed updating as well. I replaced the toilet with a taller one, kept the original vanity (wife painted it) and added a quartz top with vessel sink, waterfall faucet, mirror and light fixture. 

New bath1.jpg

Here is the before pic I pulled from the old Zillow for sale listing. 

old bath.jpg

New Bath2.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2