DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Joe_Hoopsier or anyone have any plumbing experience?  I'm trying to go to a single handle for spout and shower and not sure what valve I need. Below is my current situation. I currently have a hot and cold knob and spout with the pull up push down diverter.

image000000.thumb.jpg.4f38c58bffcaa592cdd9b9348572abbb.jpg

Just your standard rough in, tub/ shower valve. I believe Menards (et all) should have the whole kits.

Rough in valve

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Joe_Hoopsier or anyone have any plumbing experience?  I'm trying to go to a single handle for spout and shower and not sure what valve I need. Below is my current situation. I currently have a hot and cold knob and spout with the pull up push down diverter.

And in todays world, never ever forget that is nearly Nothing that is not on You tube. OH and it's still a minimum of 3 trips to the hardware store in any plumbing project.

Er' thing you need to know.. (but you will still forget one fitting !! :) )

• Like 4

Just now, Joe_Hoopsier said:

And in todays world, never ever forget that is nearly Nothing that is not on You tube. OH and it's still a minimum of 3 trips to the hardware store in any plumbing project.

Er' thing you need to know.. (but you will still forget one fitting !! :) )

That's what I'm trying to cut down on. 😊

Same with working on vehicles.  I have multiples of so many sockets and nuts and bolts because I just get them while I'm at the store. 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

All I know is that's probably a pain.  

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sh!t!  My go to hardware store collapsed today. I'm not sure they have the tools to fix that wall. 

Uh, think I may replace the screws I bought from there the other day. 

image000000(1).thumb.jpg.47700a3e004fc8a160c2f5d39b1d87fb.jpg

I'm thinking you need to find a new hardware store besides the screws you bought? People from all walks of life make themselves out to be somethings they are'nt. 

On 10/23/2022 at 6:50 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

And I bet at least 3 of the words are misspelled too, aren’t they! You’d think that china could get quality interpreters. 

What do you expect? The cabinet was probably made in China, with the instructions in Chinese sent to Mexico for interpretation, and then emailed to Lowes where some Gen Z'er photo shopped it, and ask his boss how to print it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

What do you expect? The cabinet was probably made in China, with the instructions in Chinese sent to Mexico for interpretation, and then emailed to Lowes where some Gen Z'er photo shopped it, and ask his boss how to print it.

perfect timing.. I was just working with my 74 yr old mother (remotely) on why here iPad is screwed up. As she reminds my there my 4 yr old grand daughters play with it a lot.

I asked her... Do they have cell phones yet? We should call them to help fix it. :)

Obviously, my dear mother thought I was asking a serious question. .... That was a whole other remote conversation explaining the joke .,, argggh.

• 1 month later...

Finally bought a replacement washer today. Will deliver Jan 4th. I went with a dumb model. I really don't see the value in having my washer connected to wifi sending my phone notifications that my load is finished.  Now, if it moved the load to the dryer for me that's another thing.  Someone should work on that technology.

I'm pigeon holed into front loads. I've had not the best of luck. Only have gotten 3 years each out of 3.  Haven't tried Whirlpool yet so went with that. Supposedly made in USA. 

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Finally bought a replacement washer today. Will deliver Jan 4th. I went with a dumb model. I really don't see the value in having my washer connected to wifi sending my phone notifications that my load is finished.  Now, if it moved the load to the dryer for me that's another thing.  Someone should work on that technology.

I'm pigeon holed into front loads. I've had not the best of luck. Only have gotten 3 years each out of 3.  Haven't tried Whirlpool yet so went with that. Supposedly made in USA. 

I'm not a fan of the smart home technology. Like you, I don't see a benefit of wi fi washing machines. Since I'm tall, I hate front loaders. I can reach anything from the top. I don't want to get on the floor to grab that sock from the back of a front loader. And what is the point of a wi fi fridge? Or a dishwasher? If I want it to run later, I can just hit the delay start button. I thought of getting a smart thermostat but I don't even use the daily programming settings on my traditional one. I have Alexa, but her main job is just to tell me the temperature. I used to pull my phone out of my pocket for 5 seconds to find out. I went with Samsung from Home Depot 2 years for my current washer and dryer. Previously had LG. Think both are very good. Ours get used heavily. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Now, if it moved the load to the dryer for me that's another thing.  Someone should work on that technology.

You'd think that'd be high priority...I'd like to see one that could fold stuff too :) 

One of the sucky parts of doing the wash is moving it from the washer to the dryer...

• Like 2

The one smart device I like having is our garage door opener. I replaced that myself a few years back, after the old one started ghost activating on us. It's comforting to have an app you can check to confirm the garage door was shut when you left the house, especially before long road trips and vacations.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

The one smart device I like having is our garage door opener. I replaced that myself a few years back, after the old one started ghost activating on us. It's comforting to have an app you can check to confirm the garage door was shut when you left the house, especially before long road trips and vacations.

I've already decided to go that route when I need to replace my current one.

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

I'm not a fan of the smart home technology. Like you, I don't see a benefit of wi fi washing machines. Since I'm tall, I hate front loaders. I can reach anything from the top. I don't want to get on the floor to grab that sock from the back of a front loader. And what is the point of a wi fi fridge? Or a dishwasher? If I want it to run later, I can just hit the delay start button. I thought of getting a smart thermostat but I don't even use the daily programming settings on my traditional one. I have Alexa, but her main job is just to tell me the temperature. I used to pull my phone out of my pocket for 5 seconds to find out. I went with Samsung from Home Depot 2 years for my current washer and dryer. Previously had LG. Think both are very good. Ours get used heavily. 

I would go with top load if I could. I'm tall too so the whirlpool I went with because the door is a bit higher and the opening larger than others and it is lower rpm. I have to have stackable since my laundry room is a cubby hole in the hallway. I'm hoping the lower rpm will stress the bearing/spider arm less and be quieter. 

• Like 1