Major changes ahead for the B1G?

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I'm torn.

I don't like the idea of a Conference Championship game when there aren't divisions.  

That said, the Big Ten's current divisions are not equitable.  Something has to be done

Shouldn’t the objective be to have the two best teams in the league playing for the conference title? This year, for example. 2 maybe 3 teams in the East better than Wisconsin but only Michigan got in. Also, would provide a better chance to get multiple teams into playoffs. Takes away the argument that a team didn’t even make it to their conference championship game 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Shouldn’t the objective be to have the two best teams in the league playing for the conference title? This year, for example. 2 maybe 3 teams in the East better than Wisconsin but only Michigan got in. Also, would provide a better chance to get multiple teams into playoffs. Takes away the argument that a team didn’t even make it to their conference championship game 

Actually, and I'm going to go all Scott on you, my preference would be a 10 team conference, play a 9 team conference schedule (every opponent), and have no conference championship game.

To me, you can only crown a conference 'Champion' over the long haul of a balanced schedule where everybody plays everybody else.  That's not really feasible when teh conference has more than 10 teams.  The one game format to determine conference champions is flawed.  Too often that one game wipes out a season's worth of accomplishments.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Actually, and I'm going to go all Scott on you, my preference would be a 10 team conference, play a 9 team conference schedule (every opponent), and have no conference championship game.

To me, you can only crown a conference 'Champion' over the long haul of a balanced schedule where everybody plays everybody else.  That's not really feasible when teh conference has more than 10 teams.  The one game format to determine conference champions is flawed.  Too often that one game wipes out a season's worth of accomplishments.   

So let's do away with the divisions and play a 13 game conference schedule?

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In this world of conference expansion, no way they would get rid of any teams

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure he realizes this but it would make for a better and more balanced conference.

Maybe. Don’t think that the money each program receives from the networks would be the same. Hard to be competitive with the big guys who are spending tons of cash on their coaches, facilities, recruiting, etc.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe. Don’t think that the money each program receives from the networks would be the same. Hard to be competitive with the big guys who are spending tons of cash on their coaches, facilities, recruiting, etc.

We all know that and it won't happen. What I am saying that all of this expansion is not good for the game. It is all about the money and no worries about the game itself.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We all know that and it won't happen. What I am saying that all of this expansion is not good for the game. It is all about the money and no worries about the game itself.

How is it not good for the game. Better training facilities, better nutrition, higher quality coaching. 

For being a guy who often states the obvious, you sure seem to have a condescending attitude 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

How is it not good for the game. Better training facilities, better nutrition, higher quality coaching. 

For being a guy who often states the obvious, you sure seem to have a condescending attitude 

I just don't like seeing 14-16 teams in a conference.  Also to me a conference shouldn't be spread out over thousands of miles.  To me it is nice to play each team in your conference so it is a true champion.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't like seeing 14-16 teams in a conference.  Also to me a conference shouldn't be spread out over thousands of miles.  To me it is nice to play each team in your conference so it is a true champion.

That’s where it’s going though. 

Either jump on the train or get left behind 

I’m not sure about picking the first and second teams for the conference championship.  It doesn’t seem equitable without a round robin schedule.  There’d inevitably be tiebreakers.  They would have to guard against arbitrary outcomes.

But anything would be an improvement over the current divisional format.  The results speak for themselves as the West hasn’t come close to winning even once.   

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We all no that and it is not changing but not all change is good

Sometimes when change comes people are skeptical to embrace it or even give it a chance.  20 years from now these "super conferences" might be viewed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I am not aware of any "round robin" schedule that ever existed in college football power conferences past or present.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

At least the B1G realizes they're handicapping themselves by playing 9 conference games when the SEC only plays 8.  Half the conference gets 1 additional loss instead of playing a total trash team like Furman. It's not the best thing for season ticket holders, but helps the conference win more games and stay competitive. 

Sounds like they wouldn't be replacing a conference game with a lower level opponent, but instead are trying to make more room for games against the two conferences they have formed this alliance with.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah....genie out of the bottle on that one...no going back...but it was ideal. Look at the Big 12. They have 10 teams lol but that means they play everyone twice in basketball and once in football and can crown a true champion....no arguements about scheduling etc.

• Like 1