Major changes ahead for the B1G?

5 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

At least the B1G realizes they're handicapping themselves by playing 9 conference games when the SEC only plays 8.  Half the conference gets 1 additional loss instead of playing a total trash team like Furman. It's not the best thing for season ticket holders, but helps the conference win more games and stay competitive. 

Can't remember where I heard it but someone floated just letting the Power 5 have their own football championship and letting the group of 6 have their own (played in the spring). This would allow for college football to exist all year long and the group of 6 to garner more tv revenue for their schools as well. It could create some recruiting issues and transfer issues but let's be real....that is already so far out of whack it couldn't get any worse. It's a pretty good arguement because at the rate we are now...no group of 6 is going to win a national championship (especially with the recent additions to the Big 12) and they could stand to garner more tv revenue when playing and televising when there is no competition (football) during the spring and the season kicking off right after CBB. This also would create more demand and competition amongst tv providers to up what they are paying to air more power 5 games as well...kind of a win/win. With the landscape of college sports continuing to be shifted towards the haves (NIL) and those in major conferences it totally would make sense to go two divisions basically and everyone and their brother has tried spring football to no avail but only because they lacked fan loyalty, interest, and tv rights etc. Heck we can even have bowl games back again except twice a year now lol.

Funny thing is circling back to your comment....who would Alabama play the week before LSU and Auburn if that happened lol? No more cupcakes for anyone...and with these conference agreements....it almost looks like this idea is already in motion by the power 5 to lock out the group of 6 schools.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sounds like they wouldn't be replacing a conference game with a lower level opponent, but instead are trying to make more room for games against the two conferences they have formed this alliance with.

If the alliance, whose teams already play one power 5 non-conference game, add 2 more, they will guarantee 2 or 3 SEC teams make the 4 team playoff every year. In spite of substantially stronger schedules, ESPN will pump up the SEC and protect their product. The SEC will continue to play 1 power 5 game, and 3 gimmes. They'll also laugh their heads off that the other conferences are so inept. Hope the  B1G is smarter than that.

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

If the alliance, whose teams already play one power 5 non-conference game, add 2 more, they will guarantee 2 or 3 SEC teams make the 4 team playoff every year. In spite of substantially stronger schedules, ESPN will pump up the SEC and protect their product. The SEC will continue to play 1 power 5 game, and 3 gimmes. They'll also laugh their heads off that the other conferences are so inept. Hope the  B1G is smarter than that.

If the Power 5 and group of 6 separate then SEC would be forced to adapt as well. No more paying for Ws.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If the Power 5 and group of 6 separate then SEC would be forced to adapt as well. No more paying for Ws.

Let's hope that's the case.  Put everyone on a level playing field and see who the best team is when competing on an apples to apples basis. As a wise observer said above, no more Furmans before a rivalry game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[QUOTE]

So, what about the Big Ten suits USC? 

A few factors USC AD Mike Bohn noted to me: “intensity of interest in their base”, "elite academics", “a longstanding tradition in investing in intercollegiate athletics”, and “strong values that match ours”.

[/QUOTE]

I love how an AD can say this with a straight face when everyone who wasn’t born yesterday knows its bullshit and the main reason is

$$$$

(The top15 reasons for them moving to the big 10)

Edited by IU247
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Yep, about 1.5 billion worth. 

This is going to force CBS/Fox Sports to be better with their streaming and the amount of coverage they have, correct? I mean their app needs to look much more like ESPNs now. 

Extra channels, streams, all that stuff. Right? 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is going to force CBS/Fox Sports to be better with their streaming and the amount of coverage they have, correct? I mean their app needs to look much more like ESPNs now. 

Extra channels, streams, all that stuff. Right? 

I would say so. They have 2 years to do it and I’m guessing this deal will include some active streaming services already like Amazon etc. Amazon is attractive because it’s already an easy platform to use. ESPN was awful when I had it.