Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

11 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Great 1st half and as CMW said…”we stunk” in the 2nd.

On to then next. A very winnable road game. 

I think that’s why we saw the starters in so long at the end. To see if they could play through the second half slump.

it was interesting to see Bates at the point at the end. If Rob is out and KL isn’t ready, Bates may be the backup PG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Just checking in to see what members are complaining about after a conference win😉

We would have lost another home game if we made the same number of 3s as we did in our last game vs MI. Got bailed out by some lucky shooting. 

Refs didn't eject the PSU player near Rob when he was injured. 

No depth. After our big 3, no player scored more than 5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He did make contact after the block. The contact occurred after the shot clock expired. I haven’t found a clear rule on this, perhaps others know. 

I thought it was technically a foul but also couldn’t imagine a referee actually calling something there. 

That first half is all I asked for yesterday in pregame thread. Can't offer up anything other than thank goodness we have Xavier Johnson on our team. He's the gas pedal and I think he is starting to understand how important he is to the car. 

Hate it for Rob. Looks serious but who knows. Every road game is tough and Maryland seems to be coming to life. Hope we bring our 1st half energy to Maryland Saturday. 

• Like 4

it was nice to get bored due to a lopsided victory!  i must admit due to the late start and feeling confident that i fell asleep about halfway through the second half.  nice for a change!  i'm just very impatiently waiting to hear an update on Rob and in a different way Durr.  i am a believer that we don't need to be 10 deep, but those particular positions are tough to not have back-ups.  i would be somewhat happy to see Lander thrust into the backup PG position to get him ready for a role next season, but i am not feeling good that he is medically able?  i think Durr has played his role well, but i guess the result of him being in the doghouse could be a few minutes for Duncomb?  i like that, but at the same time hope it isn't much!  a win at MD would be huge, but as always, i am not optimistic!  happy with 6th in the B1G right now, but man the next 6 in a row are all going to be very tough!  

19 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

But we are talking about Big10 refs here so nothing is surprising 

He landed on the guy and knocked him over.  I was surprised there wasn't a call and even more surprised at the no call the more they showed the replay.  Just another feather in the B1G horrible ref cap.  It was like this game is over let's not drag it on I don't care if he got clobbered I want to go home.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont think so. 

I know the NBA has a rule about the defensive player not landing in the offensive players landing spot but in this case Jordan actually landed ON the player in his landing spot and knocked him down to boot.  I think if you literally land on a guy you fouled him.  Haha its about once a week there is something clear on video in slow motion our cream and crimson glasses cloud the view.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He landed on the guy and knocked him over.  I was surprised there wasn't a call and even more surprised at the no call the more they showed the replay.  Just another feather in the B1G horrible ref cap.  It was like this game is over let's not drag it on I don't care if he got clobbered I want to go home.

I'm unclear of the specifics of the rule, but if a shot gets blocked cleanly under the basket, and then contact is made after the block, you never see a foul called.

I agree that Jordan clobbered him coming down, but refs generally swallow the whistle when a foul occurs after a clean block.  Whether its a written or unwritten rule, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know the NBA has a rule about the defensive player not landing in the offensive players landing spot but in this case Jordan actually landed ON the player in his landing spot and knocked him down to boot.  I think if you literally land on a guy you fouled him.  Haha its about once a week there is something clear on video in slow motion our cream and crimson glasses cloud the view.

I didnt see that he knocked him down at all. I saw he landed on him after the PSU had fallen to the floor. Looked like a pretty clean to me. Block, went off PSU guys head, play moves on.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I didnt see that he knocked him down at all. I saw he landed on him after the PSU had fallen to the floor. Looked like a pretty clean to me. Block, went off PSU guys head, play moves on.

The block was totally clean, its the landing on and in a shooters space and knocking him over.  Not sure if the ncaa has a rule like the nba but its a player protection rule, after I believe Klay and Durant and I want to say it happened to Kobe as well, all got injured with defenders landing in, on, or under a shooters landing space.  

Jordan made such an incredible play on the ball, well after the shot, no doubt.  

15 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'm unclear of the specifics of the rule, but if a shot gets blocked cleanly under the basket, and then contact is made after the block, you never see a foul called.

I agree that Jordan clobbered him coming down, but refs generally swallow the whistle when a foul occurs after a clean block.  Whether its a written or unwritten rule, I'm not sure.

"if a shot gets blocked cleanly under the basket, and then contact is made after the block, you never see a foul called"

Im just going to flat out disagree with this.  It happens pretty often, on my tv.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The block was totally clean, its the landing on and in a shooters space and knocking him over.  Not sure if the ncaa has a rule like the nba but its a player protection rule, after I believe Klay and Durant and I want to say it happened to Kobe as well, all got injured with defenders landing in, on, or under a shooters landing space.  

Jordan made such an incredible play on the ball, well after the shot, no doubt.  

I didnt see it like that at all. I don't think he knock him over. PSU had already landed, Jordan gets to land, as well. 

My opinion has nothing to do with my fandom, btw. 

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I didnt see it like that at all. I don't think he knock him over. PSU had already landed, Jordan gets to land, as well. 

Ill go watch again.  Can't find a highlight video.  If I'm wrong i will admit it.

Anyone remember about what time in the game that was?

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

First, I thought it was a good no call. 

The only thing I'll disagree with is your part about Geronimo landing. Yes, he gets to land too, but he doesn't get to land in the shooters space with his momentum going into the shooter. 

In this case though, and the reason I thought it was a good no call, is because the shooter also jumped forward (if I remember correctly) while JG was jumping out. 

Sort of a case where they both jumped into neutral landing space. 

Again, a really good no call, especially given how BT refs love to hunt calls and find any reason to blow their whistle. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The only thing I'll disagree with is your part about Geronimo landing. Yes, he gets to land too, but he doesn't get to land in the shooters space with his momentum going into the shooter. 

In this case though, and the reason I thought it was a good no call, is because the shooter also jumped forward (if I remember correctly) while JG was jumping out. 

Again, a really good no call, especially given how BT refs love to hunt calls and find any reason to blow their whistle. 

The ref whistle hunting was probably why I was so shocked about the no call.  If the roles were reversed, close game and PS gets hit like that, I'm super pissed about the no call and would be perfectly ok with it being an after the shot foul and getting 2 shots, not 3.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

"if a shot gets blocked cleanly under the basket, and then contact is made after the block, you never see a foul called"

Im just going to flat out disagree with this.  It happens pretty often, on my tv.  

That's fine, but show me once where a foul is called when a player swats the ball cleanly, and then his motion takes his arm or body to the shooter CLEARLY after the block has happened.  It never gets called.

Plays where it's not cut and dry get called sure, but not after clear, unequivocal blocks.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, I thought the PSU player had already landed, essentially fallen, and then boom.. Jordan lands. I don't believe where Jordan landed had any bearing on the shot. 

Maybe you could have called a blocking foul? I don't think it could have ever been a shooting foul.